Repeat and continuous video playback on iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just purchased a new 64 GB iPod touch after having previously used a fifth-generation iPod video. On the 5G iPod, I was able to repeat a playlist and also play all of my music videos at one time but with the touch these don’t seem to be an option. I was just wondering if that is just how it was made or am I missing something. I have looked through the user guide and also on the Apple website but can’t find an answer. Just wondering if you could let me know what’s going on.
A: Actually, both of these options are there, but they’re handled slightly differently from the traditional iPod.
The option to repeat a playlist or a single track can be found in the additional playback controls which appear if you tap the screen while playing the track back. The repeat button is shown near the top-left corner, below the elapsed time. Tapping this button will toggle between Repeat Off, Repeat current playlist, and Repeat current track.
Note that the Shuffle button also appears here which can be used to toggle Shuffle mode on or off. Unlike the click-wheel iPods, the iPod touch and iPhone lack the shuffle-by-album feature, however.
Playing back music videos continuously is slightly tricker, but the key is that you have to create a playlist for your music videos, and then access them from the “Music” app, rather than the “Videos” app on the iPod touch. If you begin playing your music videos from that playlist, they will follow the same rules as any other playlist, meaning playback will continue after the current video is done playing. Repeat and shuffle modes can be used here as well.
As an added bonus, you can even watch your music videos in a portrait orientation (as shown above), and you can mix normal music tracks and music video tracks in the same playlist and the iPod touch will simply play through them in order, switching between the artwork view for audio tracks and the video playback for video tracks as required.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple files lawsuit accusing Qualcomm of withholding patent royalties
- Apple releases updated iOS Developer Design Resources
- Apple’s exclusive audiobook deal with Audible ends in Europe following EU antitrust scrutiny
- Nintendo officially announces Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS, coming Feb. 2
- Rumor: Apple working on second-generation Apple Pencil
- GarageBand 2.2 adds Logic Pro X integration, Alchemy synth, Multi-Take Recording
- FTC files complaint against Qualcomm citing royalty deal with Apple
- India mulling manufacturing regulation changes which could woo Apple
- Apple Music creative team discusses the service’s exclusives, future
- Apple raising UK App Store prices by more than 25 percent
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10