Requirements for establishing an iTunes Store account in another country
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: How do I establish an account without a payment account address for the country I want to establish the account in? I want to set up a U.K. account but it just prompted me that I must have an address for the country I am choosing. Does Paypal count?
A: To create an iTunes Store account in a given country, you must have a payment method appropriate for that particular country. In general, this means a VISA, MasterCard, or American Express card or an iTunes Store Gift Card purchased in that particular country. PayPal and ClickandBuy are also available, but only in specific countries. PayPal is not available in the U.K. iTunes Store, so this would not be an option for setting up a U.K.-based iTunes Store account anyway, regardless of billing address.
When using a credit card, iTunes checks the billing address to ensure that it matches the specific address you’ve entered and the country in which you’re trying to setup an iTunes Store account. Your credit card will not be accepted for an iTunes Store account unless these both match. Keep in mind that most online vendors will verify a user’s entered billing address against their credit card when making purchases online, so iTunes is by no means unique in this regard.
Note that while many credit card companies will allow you to list one or more alternate shipping addresses for ordering physical goods online, it is the billing address that is used by iTunes.
If you do not have a credit card with a U.K. billing address, you will not be able to use that for an iTunes Store account in the U.K. The alternative option is to purchase iTunes Gift Cards from a store in the U.K.; gift cards sold in a given country are country-specific, so if you have a gift card that is sold in the U.K. it will work with—and only with—the U.K. iTunes Store. You will still need to supply a U.K.-based address to actually create an account, but the iTunes Store does not validate the address in this case as it has no means of doing so without a credit card to check it against.
Just keep in mind that using the iTunes Store from another country is technically a violation of the iTunes Store Terms and Conditions; the Terms and Conditions for the U.K. iTunes Store indicates that “The Service is available to you only in the United Kingdom. You agree not to use or attempt to use the Service from outside this location.” While Apple does not traditionally enforce these terms, it is worth pointing out that it is technically not permitted and you therefore do so at your own risk.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple raising UK App Store prices by more than 25 percent
- Iovine fuels speculation about Apple’s interest in scripted TV shows
- Report: ‘iPhone 8’ to include upgraded water resistance
- U.S. appeals court resurrects App Store antitrust lawsuit against Apple
- Apple increases maximum tvOS app size to 4GB
- Apple releases fourth iOS 10.2.1 beta
- Apple looking to produce original TV content for Apple Music subscribers
- FBI releases heavily redacted information about cracking iPhone
- Apple partners with Tresorit to offer encryption option to CareKit developers
- ESPN’s iOS apps add support for Single Sign-On
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10