Reset passcode on iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have an iPod touch and I forgot the 4 digit passcode, can you help me?
A: Unfortunately there is no way to bypass the password requirement on the iPod touch. If you have a MobileMe account with the “Find My iPhone” feature enabled, you can reset the password remotely and then enter the new password to access your device. Otherwise you will need to restore it completely back to factory settings, erasing everything on it in the process.
After several attempts at entering the password, your iPod touch will start to make you wait between attempts. You can reset this delay by connecting the device to iTunes on your computer, but this will not actually unlock the device; merely reset the password attempt counter.
iTunes normally backs up your iPod touch each time you connect it to your computer, and it will do this even if the device is locked, provided you’re connecting it to your primary computer. You can check the status of your device backups by visiting the Devices tab in your iTunes Preferences.
Provided you have a recent backup and all of your media content and apps are in your iTunes library, restoring the iPod touch is a relatively painless process. Simply connect your device to your computer, open iTunes, and click the “Restore” button which appears on the “Summary” screen in iTunes.
This will erase your iPod and reload the operating system. Following this, your device will restart and iTunes will prompt you to restore your backup onto your device. After your backup has been restored, iTunes then re-syncs all of your content onto your iPod touch, assuming you were using automatic synchronization. If you were managing your content manually, you will have to re-add your media content back on yourself.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- New Puff Daddy Documentary will be another Apple Music exclusive
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.3.2
- Report: Apple’s Jimmy Iovine still has ambitious video plans for Apple Music
- Apple executive talks using AI to boost human memory
- Apple rolling out ‘Today at Apple’ educational courses starting in May
- Smart home device maker iDevices acquired by Hubbell
- Apple delays ‘Carpool Karaoke’ release to ‘later this year’
- Dutch court rules Apple can’t replace broken iPads with refurbished models
- Chinese blog claims Apple is only releasing two iPhone 8 models, no iPhone 7s or 7s Plus
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3.2, watchOS 3.2.2, and tvOS 10.2.1
- Advanced Evo X & M4
- Advanced Mezger aptX Bluetooth Receiver
- iDevices Wall Switch
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10