Restoring 4G iPod stuck on AC adapter icon
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a fourth-generation 20GB iPod. After trying to do a restore on it, the adapter icon showed up and does not disappear no matter how long it is charged in the outlet. What can be done to fix this?
A: Unfortunately, the fourth-generation iPod models needed to be connected to a 12V FireWire power source in order to complete the restore procedure. The likely situation here is that your particular power adapter is USB-based, and only provides power on the 5V pins, which the 4G iPods did not recognize as a valid power source for restore purposes.
Note that the iPod does not need to be charged for any length of time from the 12V FireWire power source—you merely need to plug it in for a minute or two so that it can complete the restore procedure while connected to external power.
The only way you’re going to be able to solve this is to find a FireWire power source, either in the form of a charger or a powered FireWire port on your computer. The charger that came with your 4G iPod originally would have been FireWire based, so if you still have that around and it works, then this would be your best solution. Some other third-party accessories such as speakers and car chargers also still provide 12V FireWire power, so if you have other speakers or docks around it might be worth trying those to see if this allows the restore operation to complete. Speakers that are out on display at your local consumer electronics store would be worth a try if you don’t have anything at home—the original Bose SoundDock is still sold in many places and this definitely provides 12V FireWire power. If you leave near an Apple Store, the folks at the Genius Bar may also be able to assist you with this.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Automatic releases new Automatic Lite version of car monitoring accessory
- Apple releases fourth tvOS 10.0.1 beta
- iOS dev finds unimplemented one-handed keyboard in iOS code
- Apple sends out press invites for ‘Hello Again’ Oct. 27 Mac event
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.1 to developers
- Apple patners with builders to include HomeKit-enabled devices in new homes
- Report about Apple Pay in Japan hints at Oct. 25 release for iOS 10.1
- Apple Pay adds 20+ new U.S. banks and credit unions, MBNA Canada coming ‘mid-2017’
- Misfit launches Phase smartwatch
- ecobee releases ecobee3 lite HomeKit-enabled Smart Thermostat
- Incase Icon, Pop, and Textured Snap for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature Headphones
- Tech Armor FlexProtect and Shock Flex for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- SwitchEasy Flash and Fleur for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Blue Microphones Raspberry Mobile Microphone
- Incipio Haven for iPhone 7 and Reprieve Sport for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mophie Hold Force Magnetic Case System for iPhone 7
- Speck Presidio and Tech21 Evo Tactical for iPhone 7
- Belkin Lightning Audio + Charge Rockstar
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps