Restoring 4G iPod stuck on AC adapter icon
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a fourth-generation 20GB iPod. After trying to do a restore on it, the adapter icon showed up and does not disappear no matter how long it is charged in the outlet. What can be done to fix this?
A: Unfortunately, the fourth-generation iPod models needed to be connected to a 12V FireWire power source in order to complete the restore procedure. The likely situation here is that your particular power adapter is USB-based, and only provides power on the 5V pins, which the 4G iPods did not recognize as a valid power source for restore purposes.
Note that the iPod does not need to be charged for any length of time from the 12V FireWire power source—you merely need to plug it in for a minute or two so that it can complete the restore procedure while connected to external power.
The only way you’re going to be able to solve this is to find a FireWire power source, either in the form of a charger or a powered FireWire port on your computer. The charger that came with your 4G iPod originally would have been FireWire based, so if you still have that around and it works, then this would be your best solution. Some other third-party accessories such as speakers and car chargers also still provide 12V FireWire power, so if you have other speakers or docks around it might be worth trying those to see if this allows the restore operation to complete. Speakers that are out on display at your local consumer electronics store would be worth a try if you don’t have anything at home—the original Bose SoundDock is still sold in many places and this definitely provides 12V FireWire power. If you leave near an Apple Store, the folks at the Genius Bar may also be able to assist you with this.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Unboxing the new 9.7-inch iPad
- MLB.com At Bat and NHL now allow users to personalize Home Screen icons
- Apple pulls over-the-air iOS 10.3 update for iPhone 5, 5c; iOS 10.3.2 seems to end support for them
- Supplier Responsibility Report, recent hires hint at Project Titan research
- Apple now rejecting apps with references to price in their name
- Apple Pay now live in Taiwan
- Apple releases iOS 10.3.2 beta to developers
- Rumor: Apple may add cellular capability to next Apple Watch, create USB-C/Lightning hybrid
- Urbanears launches new lineup of Wi-Fi Connected Speakers
- Apple adds ability for developers respond to apps reviews, tweaks in-app rating prompt rules
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10