RFID Cards and cases for iPhone 4/4S
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’m a long time reader, first time mailer (can’t say caller can I?) I have always read your articles especially regarding accessories, however I still use an iPhone 4 and I’m looking for an attractive, yet professional iPhone 4 case that has a card holder slot so I can use my RFID Public Transport ticket system (MYKI, Victoria AUS). I haven’t had too much luck in finding one. Do you have a recommendation for what I can use? I saw an XtremeMac Form Fitting Flip Case however I don’t want the flap as I find these a pain to use.
A: There are several cases for the iPhone 4 that include card holders and are worth considering, although almost all of them come with at least some compromises. On the leather and faux-leather front, check out the Sena Cases WalletSkin and WalletSlim, CM4 Q Card Case and Twelve South BookBook.
While each of these options pretty much work as intended if your primary goal is to carry one or more cards around alongside your iPhone and have easy access to them, they’re not the best cases that we’ve reviewed in terms of overall protection and functionality. Some, such as the BookBook, block the iPhone camera entirely and employ a flap design that inconveniently covers the front of the iPhone. Others simply don’t offer as much protection as they should or sometimes needlessly increase the thickness to make room for the cards.
Since you’re dealing with an RFID card specifically, another option worth considering if these options don’t particularly appeal to you is to simply use one of any number of normal iPhone cases and simply sandwich your RFID card between the back of the iPhone and the inside of the case.
How well this works will depend on how snugly the case fits, but one of our editors has successfully used this method with a Zipcar RFID card and cases such as the Speck CandyShell and CandyShell Flip—most RFID readers should have no problem reading your card through the back of any non-metallic iPhone case, and it’s a viable option if you only need to scan the card against an RFID reader and rarely actually remove it from the case.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!