Saving your place in audio files | iLounge Article A: Absolutely. To quickly “scrub” to a precise location in a song that’s pretty far away, tap the center button on the iPod while you’re in the “Now Playing” screen. The song progress indicator bar will empty, and you’ll see a small diamond that indicates your current position. Simply use the volume wheel to rapidly move that diamond throughout the song. When you’re finished, push the center button again.

Alternatively, you may want to try something more advanced, converting your files into “bookmarkable” format, such that each time you stop a track, your position is remembered. Start it again, and you begin where you left off - automatically. To do this on a PC, convert the song into AAC format, change its extension from “.m4a” to “.m4b,” and re-add the song to your iTunes Library. To do this on a Mac, convert the track to AAC format and use this AppleScript.

Jerrod H. is an iLounge Contributing Editor, with frequent contributions to our iPod 101 and 201 tutorials, plus occasional hardware and software product reviews.

Article

Saving your place in audio files

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: I listen to long broadcasts & teaching files on my iPod photo. Is there any way to fast forward to the spot I left when it’s 50 minutes into a 90 minute file that is quicker than the dial arrows?

- Bridget

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Comments

hi,I have an ipod mini,I have been using it since last 2 weeks.Today while I was trying to listen to some particular song..i think i pressed the Menu button 2-3 times or something in hurry,and it got frozen.Please help.I tried to rest it using Menu+play/pause buttons but it didnt work. Help please.

Posted by yogibear007 on August 18, 2005 at 2:02 PM (CDT)

I cant turn my ipod mini off.  It will pause but wont turn off.  I also cant go back up the menu anymore.  Once I make a selection I am stuck in it.

Posted by Teitirua on August 18, 2005 at 10:29 PM (CDT)

I have a 3rd generation 15GB iPod. Is it true that it will not charge with a USB power adapter, just the firewire power adapter it came with? I lost my firewire adapter and it won’t charge with my wife’s mini USB adapter. It will charge with firewire attached to our home computer and in my car with a 12V charger, but my I want to use my dock and don’t have a firewire adapter.

Posted by Pepper on August 19, 2005 at 8:56 AM (CDT)

Gday everyone, i have a 6 gig iPod mini, i have 1400 songs on it. I have an apple computer and the songs are taking up 2 much space, can i delete them of the computer, but keep them on iTunes so i can still update my ipod without losing all my music, if anyone can help, u are a life saver. From Liam

Posted by brocko on August 19, 2005 at 11:40 PM (CDT)

I cant transfer songs between playlists on i tunes I keep geting the slash within a circle warning. This happened before and somehow i undid it but this time I cant seem to figure out how to undo it

Posted by pathh on August 20, 2005 at 2:38 AM (CDT)

i cant get my songs off of itunes and on to my third i pod which has been exchanged.I Tunes tech support advised to restore for an ipod update 20.06.26 and when trying to restore received message:- Firmware update failure.  Has anyone had experience of this as genius bar state that this is a windows fault and if i had an apple pc this would not happen!

Posted by cazzy-j on August 20, 2005 at 12:35 PM (CDT)

Does anyone know of an online music store that supports an ipod mini that is not more then $29.99- and that has New releases from today’s greatest hits?

P.s. It also has to be legal and safe

Posted by steve.g on August 22, 2005 at 9:00 PM (CDT)

I have a 30 gb hp apple ipod.  I had multiple playlists and then when I got more than 30 gigs in my itunes, it erased all my playlists from my ipod and I can’t seem to get my playlists back on my ipod!  How can I do this?

Posted by doctorklubz on August 23, 2005 at 10:11 PM (CDT)

Is there a way to get the album art onto my 20g color ipod and itunes if I haven’t bought any of the albums from itunes? Is there a software that allows me to download the album art for a selected song of my choice.

Posted by Taryn16 on August 24, 2005 at 4:58 PM (CDT)

can i stop itunes from deleting all my songs on my shuffle everytime i connect? like my 30 gig photo there is a way i can manualy manage my playlit ,but with the shuffle it searches for the files in the library and if the files are not there it deletes the whole shuffle forcing me to reload the shuffle everytime i plug it to my pc.

Posted by raze on August 25, 2005 at 8:17 PM (CDT)

When are we going to see the all-in-one device?  I want my FM Transmitting/Receiving/Recording,  voice recording, picture/video taking, movie playing, tv receiver top attachment device cell phone, with at least one new game. I’m sick of solitaire and music quiz.

And what about a wireless broadcaster to small wireless in ear earbuds. I hate wires!!

Is this too much to ask?

Posted by poq on August 25, 2005 at 10:30 PM (CDT)