Scaling Album Art to the iPod photo’s screen
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’m currently adding album art images to my MP3 files via iTunes. I was wondering whether there is an ideal width and height that would enhance their appearance in the iPod photo and would make them look sharper while minimizing “pixel distortion.” Is 170x170 pixels OK?
A: There are two answers to your question. The easier answer is to use high-resolution artwork and let iTunes handle the sampling for you, and this would be our recommendation. We tried one set each of practical and theoretical tests with the iPod photo’s screen, and found that in our practical tests with an actual piece of album artwork, the differences between iPod album art downsampled from various resolutions were barely if at all noticeable.
However, when you sync your files to your iPod, iTunes downsamples album art to 140x140 pixels for full-screen display, and 56x56 pixels for the thumbnail view (the one that displays with the name of the track and other information). If you want to optimize your artwork for one of these views, choose the appropriate size. For example, if you add 140x140 pixel album art in iTunes, it will appear with no subsequent distortion on the iPod photo when you display it full-sized. However, you will have some distortion when you view it in iTunes, as iTunes has to resample it to display at 200x200 pixels.
If you’d like to try and see exactly what the results are, here are two graphics: this one is a 140x140 pixel pattern, and this one is a 280x280 pixel pattern (which we used to check the 1/4 downsampling). You’ll notice that the 280x280 image looks better in iTunes, but the dots look like flat gray on your iPod photo, whereas the 140x140’s dots display identically on iTunes and the iPod.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!