Search feature on 5G iPods
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a 60 GB video iPod and I am wondering how to put the search program on my iPod. I have seen other video iPods that have this feature and I am wondering why I cannot access it on mine. Do I need to add or configure something on my iPod to enable this feature. It is a nice feature as you can scroll to each letter to search for music, video, or even TV shows. Thanks for you help.
A: Unfortunately, this feature cannot be added to the 60GB fifth-generation iPod with video. There were actually two slightly different models of fifth-generation iPod released by Apple. The original fifth-generation iPod, released in September 2005, was available in both 30GB and 60GB models.
In September of 2006, Apple refreshed the fifth-generation iPod lineup with enhanced models that provided increased screen brightness and improved battery life, as well as offering the new Search feature, improved 640 x 480 video playback via the TV output, and gapless playback capabilities, and support for iPod Games. These new models were available in 30GB and 80GB capacities, with the 60GB model being discontinued at that point. These were often referred to as the “5.5G” iPods. With the release of this new lineup, Apple provided most of the new software features to the original 5G iPod models in the form of a firmware update, including support for gapless playback and iPod Games. However, for some reason the Search feature was not provided to the original fifth-generation iPod models, and that remains the case to this day.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- August adds Motion Detection, Video Recording to Doorbell Cam
- Black hat security firm triples exploit bounty to $1.5m in wake of improved iOS 10 security features
- BMW acknowledges Bluetooth problems with iPhone 7
- Apple announces ‘Game of Thrones: Enhanced Edition’ interactive iBooks
- Apple announces App Store Search Ads
- Apple announces iOS business development partnership with Deloitte
- Apple logs iMessage contact info, could be compelled to offer info to police
- Apple reportedly calls in hackers for meeting on bug bounty program
- Apple creating new London headquarters
- Honeywell debuts Lyric T5 HomeKit-enabled smart thermostat
- IK Multimedia iRig HD 2
- 808 Audio XS Sport Rugged Wireless Speaker
- Mass Fidelity Core Bluetooth Speaker
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps