Search feature on 5G iPods
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a 60 GB video iPod and I am wondering how to put the search program on my iPod. I have seen other video iPods that have this feature and I am wondering why I cannot access it on mine. Do I need to add or configure something on my iPod to enable this feature. It is a nice feature as you can scroll to each letter to search for music, video, or even TV shows. Thanks for you help.
A: Unfortunately, this feature cannot be added to the 60GB fifth-generation iPod with video. There were actually two slightly different models of fifth-generation iPod released by Apple. The original fifth-generation iPod, released in September 2005, was available in both 30GB and 60GB models.
In September of 2006, Apple refreshed the fifth-generation iPod lineup with enhanced models that provided increased screen brightness and improved battery life, as well as offering the new Search feature, improved 640 x 480 video playback via the TV output, and gapless playback capabilities, and support for iPod Games. These new models were available in 30GB and 80GB capacities, with the 60GB model being discontinued at that point. These were often referred to as the “5.5G” iPods. With the release of this new lineup, Apple provided most of the new software features to the original 5G iPod models in the form of a firmware update, including support for gapless playback and iPod Games. However, for some reason the Search feature was not provided to the original fifth-generation iPod models, and that remains the case to this day.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple launches CareKit, with four apps debuting today
- Alleged schematics for iPhone 7 ‘Pro’ show up in Japanese magazine
- Nintendo bringing Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing to iOS
- FBI will not disclose San Bernardino iPhone hack
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2016 earnings call
- Apple Q2 results: $50.6B revenue, 51M iPhones, 10M iPads sold
- Logi BASE is first stand to charge iPad Pro through Smart Connector
- India demands ‘panic button’ on iPhone by 2017
- Apple extends iPhone Upgrade Program to online store
- Apple reportedly ‘willing to help’ reactivate missing teen’s iPhone
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield, Layered Dandy + Thor for iPhone SE
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)