“Secrets” of the 4G iPod | iLounge Article

Article

“Secrets” of the 4G iPod

The following feature is an expanded version of an iLounge-exclusive story that first appeared last week in Backstage.ilounge.com, our behind-the-scenes page for upcoming site content.

Spy novels and other fiction aside, rarely will a cryptic phrase or sentence accurately foreshadow a big surprise to come. More often than not, someone’s innocuous words are taken out of context by listeners or readers and spun into grand fantasies, which only later are deflated by far less impressive announcements - or none at all.

But in recent months, Apple executives have been teasing the world with little word games, inspiring fans and journalists alike to speculate on the secretive company’s future plans for fourth-generation iPods. In June, CEO Steve Jobs publicly hinted that Apple was working to drop iPod prices, but wouldn’t say more. Then in mid-July, Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer so quickly and obliquely mentioned plans for a “higher mix of iPods

« Printing CD Covers and Lists in iTunes

Industry reactions to the 4G iPod »

Comments

Phenomenal article, Jeremy… Get this out!!—the speculation sparked by TIME is nauseating.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 30, 2004 at 3:53 PM (CDT)

As always, thanks Jerrod… feel free to spread the word that it’s up in this form now. :-)

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 30, 2004 at 4:02 PM (CDT)

When you say you haven’t found an antenna inside… is it possible the metal case or headphone wires could be used as an antenna?

Is it possible there is a communication aspect—walkie talkie rather than cell phone?

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 30, 2004 at 4:25 PM (CDT)

er…icarus, you’re really reaching…why is it people can’t believe that the 4g just might not have any “awesome” hidden features.  honestly…

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 30, 2004 at 5:06 PM (CDT)

Who said Iw asn’t reaching? lol

It was just a guess. No harm in that is there?

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 30, 2004 at 5:12 PM (CDT)

no harm at all, actually.  i just get tired of ppl going on and on about the 4g “awesome secret” features, when, in all likelihood, those features, if they exist at all, won’t be that fantastic at all.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 30, 2004 at 5:15 PM (CDT)

The last Ipod generation had an awsome hidden feature though.. that line-out plug.

That was really exciting when it as discovered. For me at least.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 30, 2004 at 5:19 PM (CDT)

yay! an article that makes sense! the author is gonna be crying when it really is cell phone! jk ;)

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 30, 2004 at 5:20 PM (CDT)

very good article jeremy!  keep up the good work!  im gettin to like this backstage section ;)

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 30, 2004 at 5:24 PM (CDT)

I got the belkin adapter a while back for the 3g, it was terrible… It did what it said it would do, but the transfer rate between the reader and the ipod is extremely slow it took about 25+ min. to transfer a 512 card.  the batteries in the thing dont last very long either.

maximum possible transfer rate is 650KBps thats not fast….

great idea, but poor execution.

thomas

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 30, 2004 at 8:32 PM (CDT)

“is it possible the metal case or headphone wires could be used as an antenna?”

Headphone wires can be used as antennas. An excellent example is this is in the iRiver players. (Not trying to get into the iRiver/iPod debate or lack of, just pointing out that thats a good place to see it being used.)

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 30, 2004 at 8:45 PM (CDT)

Headphone wires as antennas wouldn’t be a great idea if the point of a wireless iPod would be… to avoid wires (and headphones). But for FM reception (as for iRiver), they make more sense.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 30, 2004 at 9:26 PM (CDT)

Another excellent Backstage article!

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 30, 2004 at 9:35 PM (CDT)

yep, loving this new backstage section. Very interesting article. and by the way, I may well get a belkin media reader if I get a digital SLR

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 31, 2004 at 1:22 AM (CDT)

Great article.  While I don’t think there’s a hidden colour screen or support for Ogg, I do think it’s possible that Apple might release a WiFi *adaptor* for the 4G iPod.  This adaptor might even have it’s own rechargeable battery, given the iPod’s own battery issues.

The other option could be a proper media reader (the Belkin one just doesn’t cut it).

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 31, 2004 at 4:07 AM (CDT)

Another thing to consider is that the diagnostics on the 4G suggest that the headphone jack is a hybrid analog/optical jack, like on the Airport Express. Now I don’t really see how this will change a lot - you might get slightly better quality sound out of headphones - but is it possible that this is to allow for a Bluetooth adapter for wireless headphones?

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 31, 2004 at 4:29 AM (CDT)

<As for a WiFi adapter, that’s my bet too - I’ve been streaming music from my iBook to my stereo via an Airport Express and it’s quite liberating. I’d really like to be able to do the same thing with my iPod; that would make it not only a repository of music, but also a remote control.>

In the mean time you can use an itrip (or any other radio transmitter for the ipod) to do the same thing. I use the itrip to broadcast to my stereo radio at work (also to the radio in my car).

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 31, 2004 at 9:36 AM (CDT)

i found the itrip to be very poor. AirPort Express is fantastic though, i’ve been having a lot of fun with that. If there were to be an add-on that would allow me to stream the music on my iPod to my AirPort Express i’d definitely get one.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on August 1, 2004 at 4:12 AM (CDT)

Why can’t anyone fiqure outhow to input information similar to data entry on gps devices?

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on August 1, 2004 at 5:44 PM (CDT)

some of the things you guys want can already be done with current ipods, it just takes some imagination….

iPod remote control

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on August 1, 2004 at 10:01 PM (CDT)