Sell Your Old iPod, Buy a New One (or iPhone)
As one of several parts of iLounge.com found only in our Books and Buyers’ Guides, we’ve been publishing charts for the last few years to help readers learn how much used iPods are worth at given points in time. Our most recent update was published in early June, showing iPod, iPod nano, iPod mini, and iPod shuffle prices ahead of the release of Apple’s iPhone, with pricing data taken from eBay and leading private bulk purchasers of used iPods.
To see the June 2007 pricing chart, download The Free iPod Book 3.0 and check out page 104. Every iPod from 1G to 5G, first- and second-generation shuffles, minis, and nanos, is listed by color and model number inside. Examples of used iPod values include 80GB fifth-generation iPods for $265 and up, 8GB iPod nanos for $155 and up, and 1GB shuffles for $41 and up. With this pricing data, you can decide whether now’s the right time to sell and get yourself some cash to use on an iPhone—or an upcoming iPod, if you can wait that long.
Three years of historical pricing data is available from our Library of past Guides and Books. We’ve been tracking eBay sales figures, Amazon.com Marketplace numbers, and prices from other vendors since back then, so you can get a rough idea of how much your iPod will depreciate over the next several months or years.
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?