Selling an iPod: with or without music
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have just recently purchased a 60GB 5G iPod, and I’d like to sell my old 60GB iPod Photo. Should I sell it with all my music left intact, or should I wipe it clean prior to selling it? There are over 7,000 songs on the iPod, and although I’d like to include them as a bonus to potential buyers, I’m nervous about other personal information that may be left on the iPod since I wouldn’t be wiping it clean.
Also, what is the best place to sell my iPod, and how much should I expect to get?
A: This can be a touchy subject, not so much because of the information that may linger on your iPod, but because of the legality of leaving a copy of your music on the iPod in the first place.
Though this may vary depending on the laws of the country you’re in, most people are permitted to “rip” their audio CDs into digital files - technically, copies of the original discs - and carry them on an iPod. This is a “fair use” of copyrighted materials you’ve purchased. In other words, within your household, you’re relatively free to use the contents of media you’ve purchased for your personal use however you’d like.
However, when you take the copies you’ve made and either sell them explicitly or use them to bolster the sale of a used iPod, this is generally no longer regarded as “fair use,” unless you are also selling the original CDs with the iPod and transferring complete ownership of the music. The Recording Industry Association of America has even issued a statement warning users against selling pre-loaded iPods, although precise interpretation of the laws which govern the issue are still in question.
iLounge is not going to provide legal advice on this subject, but for your safety, wiping your iPod clean using Apple’s iPod Software Updater before selling it is the safest option.
For recommendations on where to sell your iPod and how much to expect, download our free Holiday Buyer’s Guide 2005-2006, and see pages 34 and 35.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple offering hands-on demos of Super Mario Run in stores
- Report: Apple pursuing studio agreements for early movie rentals
- Apple releases seventh beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple makes its picks for best iPhone, iPad and Apple TV apps of 2016
- Apple acknowledges Apple Music now includes ‘all the benefits of iTunes Match’
- Apple Music tops 20 million subscribers
- Apple blames ‘external factors’ for iPhone fires in China
- Rumor: 2017 iPhones won’t include glass chassis or wireless charging; will add red color
- Top Apple supplier Foxconn planning U.S. investment
- Apple enables Single Sign-On across all iOS 10 and tvOS 10 devices
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10