Setting up Apple TV on a different computer
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I recently set up my new iMac and transferred my iTunes media from my old Mac Mini as suggested by iLounge. iTunes is working fine except that it does not recognize my first-generation Apple TV. I am able to sync my iPod and iPad without any problems but the Apple TV does not show up in the devices list or in iTunes preferences. Whenever I launch iTunes I get the message “Do you want the application iTunes” to accept incoming network connections? In System Preferences under Security I have allowed iTunes to accept incoming connections. However the message keeps on appearing every time I launch iTunes. After searching Google for a solution I have installed iTunes again but to no avail. How do I get iTunes to recognize and synch to the Apple TV?
A: Unlike other Apple media devices which are associated to an iTunes library, the first-generation Apple TV becomes associated with a specific computer. In this case, your Apple TV is still looking for your old Mac Mini and therefore won’t appear on your new computer, even if you’ve transferred over the exact same iTunes library.
What you will need to do is go to the Apple TV, go into the Settings, Computers menu and remove your iTunes library from there. Once you’ve done this, configure your Apple TV to connect to iTunes on your new iMac in the same way as you originally did when you set it up for the Mac Mini. Note that this process will remove all of your synced content from your Apple TV, as you are effectively associated it with a new library, however once you’ve re-associated it with the iMac, you can reconfigure the sync settings and transfer your content back on.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!