Setting up Apple TV on a different computer
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I recently set up my new iMac and transferred my iTunes media from my old Mac Mini as suggested by iLounge. iTunes is working fine except that it does not recognize my first-generation Apple TV. I am able to sync my iPod and iPad without any problems but the Apple TV does not show up in the devices list or in iTunes preferences. Whenever I launch iTunes I get the message “Do you want the application iTunes” to accept incoming network connections? In System Preferences under Security I have allowed iTunes to accept incoming connections. However the message keeps on appearing every time I launch iTunes. After searching Google for a solution I have installed iTunes again but to no avail. How do I get iTunes to recognize and synch to the Apple TV?
A: Unlike other Apple media devices which are associated to an iTunes library, the first-generation Apple TV becomes associated with a specific computer. In this case, your Apple TV is still looking for your old Mac Mini and therefore won’t appear on your new computer, even if you’ve transferred over the exact same iTunes library.
What you will need to do is go to the Apple TV, go into the Settings, Computers menu and remove your iTunes library from there. Once you’ve done this, configure your Apple TV to connect to iTunes on your new iMac in the same way as you originally did when you set it up for the Mac Mini. Note that this process will remove all of your synced content from your Apple TV, as you are effectively associated it with a new library, however once you’ve re-associated it with the iMac, you can reconfigure the sync settings and transfer your content back on.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple rolling out ‘Today at Apple’ educational courses starting in May
- Smart home device maker iDevices acquired by Hubbell
- Apple delays ‘Carpool Karaoke’ release to ‘later this year’
- Dutch court rules Apple can’t replace broken iPads with refurbished models
- Chinese blog claims Apple is only releasing two iPhone 8 models, no iPhone 7s or 7s Plus
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3.2, watchOS 3.2.2, and tvOS 10.2.1
- Images claim to show iPhone 8 prototype with glass back, vertical camera
- Apple works on alternative power sources, new uses for waste heat in Denmark data center
- Training documents reveal safety details about Apple’s self-driving car system
- Supply shortfalls of upgraded components may delay iPhone 8 production to October/November
- iDevices Wall Switch
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10