Sharing iTunes content on multiple iPhones
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’m getting a new iPhone on Friday and giving my old one to my wife. I want to know the best way to go about sharing music and apps with both iPhones. Would it be easier to set her up on the PC with iTunes (still using my account), re-download the apps and share the music library? I’m not sure if you can sync to a shared iTunes library or not. All guidance will be greatly appreciated, as I will be setting this up on Friday.
A: Having your wife use the PC is probably the simplest way to go if you want to share all of the content from a single library. You can easily connect two iPhones to the same iTunes library and have them sync the same apps and media content. Each iPhone will appear in iTunes as its own separate device with its own sync settings, so you can either choose to sync everything to both iPhones or select specific applications and playlists individually for each iPhone.
If your wife wants to continue using a different computer, this is an option as well, although you would need to transfer any content that she wants on her iPhone onto that computer so that she can access it and sync it from there. Transferring the library content in this case is generally as simple as copying the files from one computer to the other and importing them into her iTunes library. Applications work much the same way as music in this regard.
One thing to keep in mind if you do choose to share a library: All playlists, ratings and play counts will be shared between both devices, which may be a concern if you rate your music or rely on play counts and last played times for Smart Playlist purposes. Essentially, play count and last played information will be aggregated from both iPhones, and ratings changed from one device will be transferred back to your iTunes library and transferred up to the other iPhone.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!