Showing current track in Windows Messenger
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: My friends seem to be able to get what they’re listening to on iTunes in their MSN status, but I can’t seem to get this to work. Do you know how I can display my current playing track in my MSN status?
A: Firstly, in order for this to work you have to be using the latest version of MSN Messenger (v7) or Windows Live Messenger. The very latest version of Windows Live Messenger is recommended, as it seems to work with the fewest issues. Beyond that, there are a few additional idiosyncrasies in getting this to work reliably, and in our experience it still does not work in every possible case due to the various other installed software and registry changes that can sometimes interfere with the interaction between MSN Messenger and iTunes.
The normal way of setting this up is to simply go into your Windows Live Messenger preferences and select the option Show song information from Windows Media Player as a personal message. Despite the reference to “Windows Media Player” this will work equally well with iTunes.
Clicking OK should just return you to the main window, and should simply display whatever track is currently playing in your “Personal Message” section:
You can also toggle this on and off from within the main window by clicking the drop-down list beside your “Personal Message” and clicking the “Show what I’m listening to” option.
One other common problem, particularly in older versions of MSN Messenger 7, was that this sometimes would not work properly unless you also had the option enabled to “Open Windows Live Messenger main window when Windows Live Messenger starts”
If all else fails and this is still not working, your next steps should be to investigate any other iTunes, Windows Media Player or Windows Live Messenger plug-ins that you may be using. Some of these can interfere with the communication between iTunes and Windows Live Messenger. Note as well that this mode also relies on Windows Media Player components, so you should ensure that your version of Windows Media Player is current, even if you are not otherwise using it.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10