Shure MPA-3C and iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a pair of Shure SE210s and will soon have a second-generation iPod touch. I was wondering if the Shure Music Phone Adapter’s music controls worked for the iPod touch. I heard that double clicking the call button is used for skipping songs. Also, if you could recommend any other inline music control solutions for my iPod touch and Shure earphones I’d greatly appreciate it.
A: The MPA-3C adapter will work as expected with the new second-generation iPod touch, fourth-generation iPod nano, and the updated 120GB iPod classic in much the same way as it does for the iPhone—pressing the button will pause and resume playback, double-tapping the button will skip to the next track, and triple-tapping the button will skip to the previous track.
As an added bonus, the inline microphone on the MPA-3C should also work for any third-party applications that provide voice recording or other audio input support. The 2008 iPod classic and the fourth-generation iPod nano both include built-in voice recording capabilities that support the MPA-3C and other inline microphone solutions that were designed for the iPhone. Unfortunately, the second-generation iPod touch does not include a built-in voice recording application, and at this point voice recording applications developed for the iPhone cannot be installed on the iPod touch (although this appears to be due to nothing more than an “iPhone-only” compatibility flag in the application itself which will hopefully be resolved in updated versions from the various third-party developers).
While there are also third-party microphone solutions available from Griffin and Monster, if you’re using any of the SE series Shure earphones such as the SE210’s, the MPA-3C is probably the best solution due to the manner in which it simply replaces your existing extension cable with a mic-enabled option. Other inline music control headphone solutions are generally designed to be added to earphones with full-length cables and therefore may still require that you use your existing Shure extension cable and add the inline mic adapter to the end of that.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!