Shure MPA-3C and iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a pair of Shure SE210s and will soon have a second-generation iPod touch. I was wondering if the Shure Music Phone Adapter’s music controls worked for the iPod touch. I heard that double clicking the call button is used for skipping songs. Also, if you could recommend any other inline music control solutions for my iPod touch and Shure earphones I’d greatly appreciate it.
A: The MPA-3C adapter will work as expected with the new second-generation iPod touch, fourth-generation iPod nano, and the updated 120GB iPod classic in much the same way as it does for the iPhone—pressing the button will pause and resume playback, double-tapping the button will skip to the next track, and triple-tapping the button will skip to the previous track.
As an added bonus, the inline microphone on the MPA-3C should also work for any third-party applications that provide voice recording or other audio input support. The 2008 iPod classic and the fourth-generation iPod nano both include built-in voice recording capabilities that support the MPA-3C and other inline microphone solutions that were designed for the iPhone. Unfortunately, the second-generation iPod touch does not include a built-in voice recording application, and at this point voice recording applications developed for the iPhone cannot be installed on the iPod touch (although this appears to be due to nothing more than an “iPhone-only” compatibility flag in the application itself which will hopefully be resolved in updated versions from the various third-party developers).
While there are also third-party microphone solutions available from Griffin and Monster, if you’re using any of the SE series Shure earphones such as the SE210’s, the MPA-3C is probably the best solution due to the manner in which it simply replaces your existing extension cable with a mic-enabled option. Other inline music control headphone solutions are generally designed to be added to earphones with full-length cables and therefore may still require that you use your existing Shure extension cable and add the inline mic adapter to the end of that.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- ConnectSense Smart Outlet adds power monitoring, reduces price
- Automatic releases new Automatic Lite version of car monitoring accessory
- Apple releases fourth tvOS 10.0.1 beta
- iOS dev finds unimplemented one-handed keyboard in iOS code
- Apple sends out press invites for ‘Hello Again’ Oct. 27 Mac event
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.1 to developers
- Apple partners with builders to include HomeKit-enabled devices in new homes
- Report about Apple Pay in Japan hints at Oct. 25 release for iOS 10.1
- Apple Pay adds 20+ new U.S. banks and credit unions, MBNA Canada coming ‘mid-2017’
- Misfit launches Phase smartwatch
- Incase Icon, Pop, and Textured Snap for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature Headphones
- Tech Armor FlexProtect and Shock Flex for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- SwitchEasy Flash and Fleur for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Blue Microphones Raspberry Mobile Microphone
- Incipio Haven for iPhone 7 and Reprieve Sport for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mophie Hold Force Magnetic Case System for iPhone 7
- Speck Presidio and Tech21 Evo Tactical for iPhone 7
- Belkin Lightning Audio + Charge Rockstar
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps