Skipping a playlist when shuffling
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a 120GB iPod Classic, and I have a question about the “Shuffle” settings. I have almost 4500 songs thus far, and a tenth of it is jazz that I would rather not listen to all the time. I have created a jazz playlist containing all of those songs, but the songs still come into the rotation when my iPod is on “Shuffle Songs” mode. Is there any way to tell my iPod to shuffle all songs EXCEPT the ones in my jazz playlist?
A: Although the iPod itself cannot exclude an entire playlist from the global shuffle mode, there are a couple of different ways that you can work around this problem.
Firstly, you can tag any individual track to be skipped when you are shuffling songs on your iPod. This is done through iTunes, and can be done either for an individual track, or a selected group of tracks. To do this, simply select the track(s) you would like to be skipped when shuffling, and choose File, Get Info from your iTunes menu.
The disadvantage to this approach, however, is that it must be set on a per-track basis, so while you can set every track in your Jazz playlist to be skipped when shuffling, this setting will not automatically be applied to any new tracks you may add - you’ll have to modify these manually as you add them.
Another option is to build a Smart Playlist that includes all of the music on your iPod except for your Jazz playlist, and then shuffle your playback from within that playlist, rather than using the Main Menu “Shuffle Songs” option. A Smart Playlist similar to the following would do the trick:
You could then simply turn on Shuffle on your iPod from the Settings menu, and begin playing music from this playlist, rather than choosing “Shuffle Songs” from the main menu. Note that on the newer iPod models like the iPod classic you can also toggle Shuffle mode while listening to any given playlist right from the “Now Playing” screen by pressing the center button until the Shuffle options appear.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Foxconn considering $7B investment in ‘highly automated’ U.S. facility for Apple
- KGI: 3D Touch upgrade coming in new iPhone, Touch ID and facial recognition upgrades in future model
- Apple files lawsuit accusing Qualcomm of withholding patent royalties
- Apple releases updated iOS Developer Design Resources
- Apple’s exclusive audiobook deal with Audible ends in Europe following EU antitrust scrutiny
- Nintendo officially announces Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS, coming Feb. 2
- Rumor: Apple working on second-generation Apple Pencil
- GarageBand 2.2 adds Logic Pro X integration, Alchemy synth, Multi-Take Recording
- FTC files complaint against Qualcomm citing royalty deal with Apple
- India mulling manufacturing regulation changes which could woo Apple
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10