Skipping a playlist when shuffling
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a 120GB iPod Classic, and I have a question about the “Shuffle” settings. I have almost 4500 songs thus far, and a tenth of it is jazz that I would rather not listen to all the time. I have created a jazz playlist containing all of those songs, but the songs still come into the rotation when my iPod is on “Shuffle Songs” mode. Is there any way to tell my iPod to shuffle all songs EXCEPT the ones in my jazz playlist?
A: Although the iPod itself cannot exclude an entire playlist from the global shuffle mode, there are a couple of different ways that you can work around this problem.
Firstly, you can tag any individual track to be skipped when you are shuffling songs on your iPod. This is done through iTunes, and can be done either for an individual track, or a selected group of tracks. To do this, simply select the track(s) you would like to be skipped when shuffling, and choose File, Get Info from your iTunes menu.
The disadvantage to this approach, however, is that it must be set on a per-track basis, so while you can set every track in your Jazz playlist to be skipped when shuffling, this setting will not automatically be applied to any new tracks you may add - you’ll have to modify these manually as you add them.
Another option is to build a Smart Playlist that includes all of the music on your iPod except for your Jazz playlist, and then shuffle your playback from within that playlist, rather than using the Main Menu “Shuffle Songs” option. A Smart Playlist similar to the following would do the trick:
You could then simply turn on Shuffle on your iPod from the Settings menu, and begin playing music from this playlist, rather than choosing “Shuffle Songs” from the main menu. Note that on the newer iPod models like the iPod classic you can also toggle Shuffle mode while listening to any given playlist right from the “Now Playing” screen by pressing the center button until the Shuffle options appear.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!