Sleeping with an iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Is there any way to get the fifth generation iPod to switch itself off automatically. The reason is that I fall asleep with the iPod on at night and when I wake up in the morning the battery is almost dead. Is there anything I can do?
A: Certainly. The simplest solution to this is to use the iPod’s “Sleep” timer, which can be found under Extras, Clock on the iPod. Select any one of the displayed clocks, and then choose Sleep Timer from the bottom of the menu. Choose a preset length of time, and the iPod will automatically stop playing and shut off at the end of this time period. The sleep timer setting will also be indicated on the “Now Playing” screen by a small clock icon with the remaining time-to-sleep shown at the top of the screen.
Alternatively, if you regularly fall asleep to the same music (or a variation thereof), a limited Smart Playlist can also be created to provide a preset amount of music to fall asleep by. A Smart Playlist like the following, for example, would automatically select 30 minutes of music from the “Slow Mix” playlist:
As with any playlist, the iPod will stop playing when it reaches the end, and then go to sleep after the normal timeout (as it does normally when it’s not playing anything).
Finally, a third option that you may want to consider is an iPod-based clock/radio such as the iHome iH8 (iLounge review: B+) or XtremeMac Luna (iLounge review: A-). Many of these offer built-in sleep timer modes with additional features such as gradual music fade-down during the sleep timer intervals. You can find reviews of these and other clock radio iPod accessories in our Speakers - Clock Radio Reviews section.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple files lawsuit accusing Qualcomm of withholding patent royalties
- Apple releases updated iOS Developer Design Resources
- Apple’s exclusive audiobook deal with Audible ends in Europe following EU antitrust scrutiny
- Nintendo officially announces Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS, coming Feb. 2
- Rumor: Apple working on second-generation Apple Pencil
- GarageBand 2.2 adds Logic Pro X integration, Alchemy synth, Multi-Take Recording
- FTC files complaint against Qualcomm citing royalty deal with Apple
- India mulling manufacturing regulation changes which could woo Apple
- Apple Music creative team discusses the service’s exclusives, future
- Apple raising UK App Store prices by more than 25 percent
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10