Sleeping with an iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Is there any way to get the fifth generation iPod to switch itself off automatically. The reason is that I fall asleep with the iPod on at night and when I wake up in the morning the battery is almost dead. Is there anything I can do?
A: Certainly. The simplest solution to this is to use the iPod’s “Sleep” timer, which can be found under Extras, Clock on the iPod. Select any one of the displayed clocks, and then choose Sleep Timer from the bottom of the menu. Choose a preset length of time, and the iPod will automatically stop playing and shut off at the end of this time period. The sleep timer setting will also be indicated on the “Now Playing” screen by a small clock icon with the remaining time-to-sleep shown at the top of the screen.
Alternatively, if you regularly fall asleep to the same music (or a variation thereof), a limited Smart Playlist can also be created to provide a preset amount of music to fall asleep by. A Smart Playlist like the following, for example, would automatically select 30 minutes of music from the “Slow Mix” playlist:
As with any playlist, the iPod will stop playing when it reaches the end, and then go to sleep after the normal timeout (as it does normally when it’s not playing anything).
Finally, a third option that you may want to consider is an iPod-based clock/radio such as the iHome iH8 (iLounge review: B+) or XtremeMac Luna (iLounge review: A-). Many of these offer built-in sleep timer modes with additional features such as gradual music fade-down during the sleep timer intervals. You can find reviews of these and other clock radio iPod accessories in our Speakers - Clock Radio Reviews section.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Papa John’s releases pizza-ordering app for Apple TV
- Apple call Australian banks’ request a ‘detriment to consumers’
- EU determines Apple should pay 13 billion euros in back taxes to Ireland; Apple plans appeal
- SIM tray photos hint at alleged ‘gloss black’ iPhone color
- Trademark filings hint at wireless EarPods, two new Apple Watch models
- Report: EU to rule against Apple-Ireland tax deals, recommend Apple pay 1B+ Euros
- Apple sued over unresponsive iPhone 6/6 Plus touchscreen issues
- Apple announces Sept. 7 event
- Philips introduces Hue Motion Sensor
- Photos hint at improved battery for new Apple Watch
- Belkin PowerHouse Charge Dock for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Western Digital My Cloud (OS 3)
- Distil Union Stanley Stand
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- First Alert Onelink Wi-Fi Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Logitech Create 9.7” iPad Pro Keyboard Case
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app