Slideshows on iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I want to use my iPod touch as a portable presentation device. I used iPresent to convert a PowerPoint presentation into a series of JPEG images to show on my iPod as a slideshow, and although I can output video through my Universal Dock, I need to manually control the slideshow. Is there any way to remotely do this? The Apple remote control sends me back to the menu, rather than progressing the slideshow.
A: Unfortunately, this will not work on the iPod touch or iPhone, as the remote control is only used to control the “iPod” application for music/video playback. As you have discovered, using the remote control will return you either to the menu or to the currently playing track within the iPod application. This behavior should be the same for just about any iPod remote control, as they all communicate with the iPod/iPhone via the Dock Connector using the same methods.
Note that all of the traditional iPod models that provide photo display, including the 2007 iPod classic and iPod nano, do provide the capability to use the remote control to play/pause and navigate through a slideshow presentation when being shown on the iPod screen or on an external display. If the ability to use the iPod as a presentation device is a priority, you may want to look at getting one of these iPod models (or an older one) instead.
The ability to remote control slideshows on the iPod touch is obviously not consistent with the traditional iPod models, but it should certainly be possible for Apple to address this in a firmware update if they so desire. You can submit feedback to Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback and suggest this as an enhancement request.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple offering hands-on demos of Super Mario Run in stores
- Report: Apple pursuing studio agreements for early movie rentals
- Apple releases seventh beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple makes its picks for best iPhone, iPad and Apple TV apps of 2016
- Apple acknowledges Apple Music now includes ‘all the benefits of iTunes Match’
- Apple Music tops 20 million subscribers
- Apple blames ‘external factors’ for iPhone fires in China
- Rumor: 2017 iPhones won’t include glass chassis or wireless charging; will add red color
- Top Apple supplier Foxconn planning U.S. investment
- Apple enables Single Sign-On across all iOS 10 and tvOS 10 devices
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10