Slideshows on iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I want to use my iPod touch as a portable presentation device. I used iPresent to convert a PowerPoint presentation into a series of JPEG images to show on my iPod as a slideshow, and although I can output video through my Universal Dock, I need to manually control the slideshow. Is there any way to remotely do this? The Apple remote control sends me back to the menu, rather than progressing the slideshow.
A: Unfortunately, this will not work on the iPod touch or iPhone, as the remote control is only used to control the “iPod” application for music/video playback. As you have discovered, using the remote control will return you either to the menu or to the currently playing track within the iPod application. This behavior should be the same for just about any iPod remote control, as they all communicate with the iPod/iPhone via the Dock Connector using the same methods.
Note that all of the traditional iPod models that provide photo display, including the 2007 iPod classic and iPod nano, do provide the capability to use the remote control to play/pause and navigate through a slideshow presentation when being shown on the iPod screen or on an external display. If the ability to use the iPod as a presentation device is a priority, you may want to look at getting one of these iPod models (or an older one) instead.
The ability to remote control slideshows on the iPod touch is obviously not consistent with the traditional iPod models, but it should certainly be possible for Apple to address this in a firmware update if they so desire. You can submit feedback to Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback and suggest this as an enhancement request.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- ConnectSense Smart Outlet adds power monitoring, reduces price
- Automatic releases new Automatic Lite version of car monitoring accessory
- Apple releases fourth tvOS 10.0.1 beta
- iOS dev finds unimplemented one-handed keyboard in iOS code
- Apple sends out press invites for ‘Hello Again’ Oct. 27 Mac event
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.1 to developers
- Apple partners with builders to include HomeKit-enabled devices in new homes
- Report about Apple Pay in Japan hints at Oct. 25 release for iOS 10.1
- Apple Pay adds 20+ new U.S. banks and credit unions, MBNA Canada coming ‘mid-2017’
- Misfit launches Phase smartwatch
- Incase Icon, Pop, and Textured Snap for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature Headphones
- Tech Armor FlexProtect and Shock Flex for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- SwitchEasy Flash and Fleur for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Blue Microphones Raspberry Mobile Microphone
- Incipio Haven for iPhone 7 and Reprieve Sport for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mophie Hold Force Magnetic Case System for iPhone 7
- Speck Presidio and Tech21 Evo Tactical for iPhone 7
- Belkin Lightning Audio + Charge Rockstar
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps