Smart Cover folio cases for iPad 2
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have an iPad 2 and for weeks now I have been searching for a case to meet my requirements. Recently I followed your first “A” review and bought a SwitchEasy Canvas case but was disappointed with it. These are my requirements but I cannot seem to find all of them combined in a single case: Smart cover compatible (magnetic on off); back and front protection; real leather if possible; ability to work as a stand with at least one position of about 65 degrees and will not fall when I play Infinity Blade nor bounce up and down when I type. I’d also like it to be lightweight and less bulky if possible and have a reasonable price of around $50-60 for non-leather, or $70-80 for leather. Any suggestions?
A: One case that you may want to take a look at is the Speck MagFolio for iPad 2 (iLounge Rating: B+), which seems like it would meet most, if not all of your requirements. One of our editors in fact uses this case on his older iPad 2 and is quite happy with both the style and flexibility of it.
The standard MagFolio is faux leather and priced at $60, but otherwise provides the Smart Cover capabilities, full body protection and five different viewing angles—four upright positions and one reclined position appropriate for typing. While a genuine leather version, the MagFolio Luxe for iPad 2, is also available, it comes in at a premium price of $100, and thus rated our more limited recommendation simply due to the higher price point; it’s basically otherwise the same case as the standard MagFolio.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple provides more details on new Apple Music API
- Apple Music for Android adds music videos, Family Plan support
- Icahn pulls out of Apple over China concerns
- Apple launches CareKit, with four apps debuting today
- Alleged schematics for iPhone 7 ‘Pro’ show up in Japanese magazine
- Nintendo bringing Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing to iOS
- FBI will not disclose San Bernardino iPhone hack
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2016 earnings call
- Apple Q2 results: $50.6B revenue, 51M iPhones, 10M iPads sold
- Logi BASE is first stand to charge iPad Pro through Smart Connector
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield, Layered Dandy + Thor for iPhone SE
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)