Sneak Peeks: Apple Expo Paris, Part 2
Yesterday, we covered almost all of the major players at the Apple Expo in Paris; today we’ve done a second sweep to make sure we covered as much of the rest as possible.
It would be unfair to call the show “sleepy,” as the energy level is perhaps a bit higher than that, but it’s certainly low-key by comparison with anything but the now-defunct Macworld Boston. There aren’t a ton of people crowding the show floor, but many people have been watching Apple’s presentations and sampling the products from key exhibitors. Here are highlights of what we’ve seen; a second full photo gallery is now online, while the previous huge photo gallery is available from this link.
We came back and saw the iPod mini version of Belkin’s windshield TuneDok, which was highly similar to the full-sized iPod version. The company was also showing TuneFM, the FM transmitter that debuted in The Free iPod Book.
Be-Ez was showing updated versions of the Dopi cases we have previously reviewed; while using the same shapes, these were made from soft plastic instead of felt, and featured printed graphics.
This new collection of stylish iPod shuffle cases is exclusively for French/EU customers.
iPod Armor maker Matias was most prominently showing its combination USB 2.0 keyboard and iPod shuffle dock.
Pacific Rim Technologies
Pac Rim was showing a new clear plastic hard case for the iPod nano - an early sample, but coming soon - as well as a new version of its iPod dock, this time featuring video output capabilities, and a new version of its previously announced Bluetooth headphone accessory.
The company plans to retool the dock to support Apple’s Universal Dock Adapter, eliminating the awkward mounting of an iPod nano. It also plans to revise the Bluetooth accessory’s transmitter based on the discontinuation of the iPod mini.
In addition to the nano speakers we mentioned yesterday, PodGear was actually showing HouseParty, a small two-driver dockable speaker system for iPods.
We reported on most of Power Support’s new designs yesterday, but wanted to spotlight a few other things that we liked at the booth. Here’s a shot of the Tsuzumi table, which plays audio and displays a colored light show at the same time.
The company has also developed thin but still high-quality leather cases that have faux suede interiors. These cases will be available in flat back and belt clip versions.
As part of the company’s upcoming line of fashion products, we saw a Kimono cord-retooled version of the iPod earbuds, and a high-fashion shirt with iPod pocket. We were really impressed by the designs, which are apparently intended as low-quantity production designer items, and have no prices as of yet.
Utilizing a production process that apparently is now becoming available to companies around the world, SkinIt offers customers the ability to create high-quality vinyl iPod tattoos of their own design at a cost of under $10 per sticker. In addition to utilizing superior printing technology to what is available in consumer printers, SkinIt’s skins are laminated to resist damage.
We took another pass through Tunewear’s collection late yesterday, spending time looking at PodWallet, Ambassador, TuneTag and Icewear for iPod nano, each of which appears in shots within our gallery.
The company also showed off Waterwear for iPod shuffle, new cord clips, and a zinc shuffle fashion case that we’d be surprised to ever see in production.
That pretty much wraps it up for Apple Expo Paris. We may have another update or two over the next couple of days, but in the words of one exhibitor, the show is at least one day longer than it needs to be; more like two, in our estimation. If anything new breaks, we’ll definitely let you know.
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPad, Air + mini Lineup
- CE Week 2013: The iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac Show Report
- WSJ: Apple brings in trusted executive Mansfield to head Apple Car project
- CarPlay to be available in all 2017 Ford models
- Rumors claim new iPhone will be released Sept. 16, could have ‘iPhone 6 SE’ name
- Photos claim to show alleged ‘iPad Pro 2’
- Apple to sell limited-edition Olympic Apple Watch bands exclusively in Brazil
- Report: iPhone 7 will include Lightning adapter instead of Lightning EarPods
- Edward Snowden designing device to prevent iPhone wiretapping
- Report: Apple Car team running into challenges, launch may slip to 2021
- Corning announces Gorilla Glass 5
- Apple under fire for providing refurbished replacements under AppleCare+
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Invoxia Voice Bridge
- Incase Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app