Sneak Peeks: Apple Expo Paris, Part 2
Yesterday, we covered almost all of the major players at the Apple Expo in Paris; today we’ve done a second sweep to make sure we covered as much of the rest as possible.
It would be unfair to call the show “sleepy,” as the energy level is perhaps a bit higher than that, but it’s certainly low-key by comparison with anything but the now-defunct Macworld Boston. There aren’t a ton of people crowding the show floor, but many people have been watching Apple’s presentations and sampling the products from key exhibitors. Here are highlights of what we’ve seen; a second full photo gallery is now online, while the previous huge photo gallery is available from this link.
We came back and saw the iPod mini version of Belkin’s windshield TuneDok, which was highly similar to the full-sized iPod version. The company was also showing TuneFM, the FM transmitter that debuted in The Free iPod Book.
Be-Ez was showing updated versions of the Dopi cases we have previously reviewed; while using the same shapes, these were made from soft plastic instead of felt, and featured printed graphics.
This new collection of stylish iPod shuffle cases is exclusively for French/EU customers.
iPod Armor maker Matias was most prominently showing its combination USB 2.0 keyboard and iPod shuffle dock.
Pacific Rim Technologies
Pac Rim was showing a new clear plastic hard case for the iPod nano - an early sample, but coming soon - as well as a new version of its iPod dock, this time featuring video output capabilities, and a new version of its previously announced Bluetooth headphone accessory.
The company plans to retool the dock to support Apple’s Universal Dock Adapter, eliminating the awkward mounting of an iPod nano. It also plans to revise the Bluetooth accessory’s transmitter based on the discontinuation of the iPod mini.
In addition to the nano speakers we mentioned yesterday, PodGear was actually showing HouseParty, a small two-driver dockable speaker system for iPods.
We reported on most of Power Support’s new designs yesterday, but wanted to spotlight a few other things that we liked at the booth. Here’s a shot of the Tsuzumi table, which plays audio and displays a colored light show at the same time.
The company has also developed thin but still high-quality leather cases that have faux suede interiors. These cases will be available in flat back and belt clip versions.
As part of the company’s upcoming line of fashion products, we saw a Kimono cord-retooled version of the iPod earbuds, and a high-fashion shirt with iPod pocket. We were really impressed by the designs, which are apparently intended as low-quantity production designer items, and have no prices as of yet.
Utilizing a production process that apparently is now becoming available to companies around the world, SkinIt offers customers the ability to create high-quality vinyl iPod tattoos of their own design at a cost of under $10 per sticker. In addition to utilizing superior printing technology to what is available in consumer printers, SkinIt’s skins are laminated to resist damage.
We took another pass through Tunewear’s collection late yesterday, spending time looking at PodWallet, Ambassador, TuneTag and Icewear for iPod nano, each of which appears in shots within our gallery.
The company also showed off Waterwear for iPod shuffle, new cord clips, and a zinc shuffle fashion case that we’d be surprised to ever see in production.
That pretty much wraps it up for Apple Expo Paris. We may have another update or two over the next couple of days, but in the words of one exhibitor, the show is at least one day longer than it needs to be; more like two, in our estimation. If anything new breaks, we’ll definitely let you know.
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPad, Air + mini Lineup
- CE Week 2013: The iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac Show Report
- iLounge’s 2013 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone + iPod Gear
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s iPad mini + iPad (4th-Gen)
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?