Songs Cut Out on iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: There are several songs on my iPod that cut out after a few seconds. The timer at the bottom of the screen gives the full play time, but the song never makes it through. I can hear the iPod struggling with the song. They are complete files on my computer, some have been downloaded and some ripped from my CDs. What’s going on? How can I fix this?
A: It’s hard to tell with any certainty what the issue could be. While iTunes and the iPod appear to be a seamless system, they use wildly different hardware and software decoding algorithms. Unfortunately, a song that works great in iTunes can’t be guaranteed to work on the iPod - especially if you’ve ripped it with a program other than iTunes.
However, your problem sounds extreme even considering this. We have a few suggestions, but none are guaranteed to work. Try them in this order:
- Your iPod might just need to be reset. Reset your iPod, and try the problem files again.
- Perhaps the songs were copied badly to your iPod’s hard drive. Use the iPod Software Updater to “Restore” your iPod, wiping it clean. Reload your iPod with the music in your Library, and try the problem files again.
- Perhaps the problem lies with the files themselves. Re-import the problem songs with iTunes’ own import functionality (to better ensure compatibility), and try them again.
If none of the above work, it could be a problem with the iPod’s own hard drive, and you’ll likely have to contact Apple support for service. We’re thinking it’s more likely number three than numbers one or two.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- Report: Apple working on 4K for next-generation Apple TV
- Apple announces WWDC 2017
- Apple patent points to possible new Smart Keyboard with dedicated ‘Share’ and ‘Emoji’ keys
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10