Songs Cut Out on iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: There are several songs on my iPod that cut out after a few seconds. The timer at the bottom of the screen gives the full play time, but the song never makes it through. I can hear the iPod struggling with the song. They are complete files on my computer, some have been downloaded and some ripped from my CDs. What’s going on? How can I fix this?
A: It’s hard to tell with any certainty what the issue could be. While iTunes and the iPod appear to be a seamless system, they use wildly different hardware and software decoding algorithms. Unfortunately, a song that works great in iTunes can’t be guaranteed to work on the iPod - especially if you’ve ripped it with a program other than iTunes.
However, your problem sounds extreme even considering this. We have a few suggestions, but none are guaranteed to work. Try them in this order:
- Your iPod might just need to be reset. Reset your iPod, and try the problem files again.
- Perhaps the songs were copied badly to your iPod’s hard drive. Use the iPod Software Updater to “Restore” your iPod, wiping it clean. Reload your iPod with the music in your Library, and try the problem files again.
- Perhaps the problem lies with the files themselves. Re-import the problem songs with iTunes’ own import functionality (to better ensure compatibility), and try them again.
If none of the above work, it could be a problem with the iPod’s own hard drive, and you’ll likely have to contact Apple support for service. We’re thinking it’s more likely number three than numbers one or two.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases first developer betas for iOS 9.3.3, tvOS 9.2.2
- More iPhone 7 leaks surface, protruding camera seen
- Apple pulls iOS 9.3.2 update for 9.7” iPad Pro due to ‘bricking’ issues
- Report: CarPlay coming to BMW vehicles later this year
- Report: One iPhone model to use a glass casing next year
- Apple opening Maps development office in India
- Apple eyeing partnerships with Indian phone companies
- Apple engineers visit musician’s home, are stumped by iTunes deletions
- China scrutinizing Apple over security concerns
- Report: Apple to open three retail stores in India before 2018
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)