Songs Cut Out on iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: There are several songs on my iPod that cut out after a few seconds. The timer at the bottom of the screen gives the full play time, but the song never makes it through. I can hear the iPod struggling with the song. They are complete files on my computer, some have been downloaded and some ripped from my CDs. What’s going on? How can I fix this?
A: It’s hard to tell with any certainty what the issue could be. While iTunes and the iPod appear to be a seamless system, they use wildly different hardware and software decoding algorithms. Unfortunately, a song that works great in iTunes can’t be guaranteed to work on the iPod - especially if you’ve ripped it with a program other than iTunes.
However, your problem sounds extreme even considering this. We have a few suggestions, but none are guaranteed to work. Try them in this order:
- Your iPod might just need to be reset. Reset your iPod, and try the problem files again.
- Perhaps the songs were copied badly to your iPod’s hard drive. Use the iPod Software Updater to “Restore” your iPod, wiping it clean. Reload your iPod with the music in your Library, and try the problem files again.
- Perhaps the problem lies with the files themselves. Re-import the problem songs with iTunes’ own import functionality (to better ensure compatibility), and try them again.
If none of the above work, it could be a problem with the iPod’s own hard drive, and you’ll likely have to contact Apple support for service. We’re thinking it’s more likely number three than numbers one or two.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- August adds Motion Detection, Video Recording to Doorbell Cam
- Black hat security firm triples exploit bounty to $1.5m in wake of improved iOS 10 security features
- BMW acknowledges Bluetooth problems with iPhone 7
- Apple announces ‘Game of Thrones: Enhanced Edition’ interactive iBooks
- Apple announces App Store Search Ads
- Apple announces iOS business development partnership with Deloitte
- Apple logs iMessage contact info, could be compelled to offer info to police
- Apple reportedly calls in hackers for meeting on bug bounty program
- Apple creating new London headquarters
- Honeywell debuts Lyric T5 HomeKit-enabled smart thermostat
- IK Multimedia iRig HD 2
- 808 Audio XS Sport Rugged Wireless Speaker
- Mass Fidelity Core Bluetooth Speaker
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps