Songs not appearing under Artist name
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Help!!! There are a handful of songs on my iPod that I can only locate if I search for them by song title, not by artist. I’ve checked the tags, and they look fine. Does anyone know how I can fix this?
A: The most common cause of this problem is tracks that are set as “Part of a Compilation” within the iTunes track properties. As discussed in last week’s column, the “Compilation” flag can be used to filter out certain artists from being listed on the “Artist” menu on the iPod and in iTunes. By extension, if only some of the tracks by a particular artist are set to “Part of a Compilation,” then the artist name will still appear on the “Artist” menu, but tracks flagged as “Part of a Compilation” will not be listed under that particular artist. Instead they will be listed under their specific album name, accessible via the “Albums” or “Compilations” menu options.
The fastest way to check this is to turn OFF the Compilations setting on the iPod itself, which can be found under the Settings menu. This will cause the iPod to ignore the “Part of a Compilation” flag, removing the Compilation menu from the Music section, and causing all tracks to be listed properly under their artists. If turning this setting OFF on the iPod solves the problem, then you can go back into iTunes and ensure that the “Part of a Compilation” setting is UNchecked for those particular tracks. See last week’s column for more details on how this setting works and how to change it.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- Report: Apple working on 4K for next-generation Apple TV
- Apple announces WWDC 2017
- Apple patent points to possible new Smart Keyboard with dedicated ‘Share’ and ‘Emoji’ keys
- Jaguar announces in-car Apple Pay payment option at UK Shell gas stations
- Shareholders seek more diversity in Apple upper management
- Apple to fight Nebraska ‘right to repair’ bill
- Apple eyeing another supplier for future OLED screens
- Facebook announces Apple TV app along with iOS app video improvements
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10