Sony’s SonicStage and the iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a Sony VAIO notebook computer with Windows XP, and import all my music from CDs with SonicStage. I just got an iPod, and it will not accept my music files. Short of re-loading all the CDs (which are now in storage) or burning all this music onto a disc and then re-loading onto the VAIO via iTunes or Windows Media player (which will take hours), is there any other way to get my music on my iPod?
A: Alas, no. SonicStage generally imports music as MP3 files, but Sony’s software adds some kind of “protection” to the files, even when you import your music from CDs you own. This is not Sony’s proprietary ATRAC3 format, but rather a very strange type of MP3 format, which theoretically should not be called MP3 since it doesn’t meet the standards of this format. The only thing you can do, as you suggest, is re-import the music from the original CDs or burn the music onto audio CDs and import it from them.
You can find out a bit more about exactly what SonicStage does to these files at this link.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Apple now prioritizing autonomous driving system in car project
- WSJ: Apple’s ‘hard-charging’ approach unsuccessful in negotiations with TV networks
- Video purports to show official Lightning to 3.5mm headphone adapter
- New iPhone pre-orders to start Sept. 9?
- Apple has sold one billion iPhones
- Parkopedia to provide detailed parking information for Apple Maps [Updated]
- Microsoft releases Pix camera app for iPhone
- Adobe launches new Lightroom viewer for Apple TV
- Australian banks team up to push for other mobile payment apps on iPhone
- Report: iPhone 7 may feature 3D Touch home button
- Moe Bull Stand for iPad Air 2 + 9.7” iPad Pro
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Invoxia Voice Bridge
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app