Sorting tracks in iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: When I import downloaded tracks from a folder on my computer iTunes always imports the tracks in alphabetical order. How can I change this to ensure the tracks are imported in the original running order?
A: Although iTunes will import the tracks in alphabetical order, this doesn’t have any direct impact on how iTunes organizes or sorts your tracks - you can choose any of the available track information to sort your tracks on.
If you’re seeing your tracks listed in alphabetical order, chances are that this is simply because iTunes is sorting on the “Name” field. You can tell which field iTunes is using as your sort field by looking for the column heading with the blue highlight and small triangle.
To sort on a different column, simply click on the appropriate column heading. Clicking on the column heading a second time will reverse the sort order. Some sorting criteria have default secondary sort orders as well—for instance sorting by “Album” will automatically sort the tracks within each album by track number, providing the track numbers are stored in the files, otherwise it sorts the tracks alphabetically.
You can check to see if your songs contain track numbers by either displaying the “Track Number” column. To choose which columns are displayed, simply select View, View Options from the iTunes menu and choose the columns you want displayed from the resulting view options dialog box.
If your imported tracks are missing the track numbers, then you will not be able to sort them in album order regardless of which criteria you choose, since the album order simply isn’t available. In this case, you can add the track numbers by selecting each track and choosing File, Get Info and filling in the “Track Number” field yourself.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Apple developing Siri home speaker to rival Amazon’s Echo; will release Siri SDK at WWDC
- Apple’s plan to open stores in India hits a snag
- iOS Spotlight search now offers relevant results for some emoji
- Cook discusses ambitious plan to beef up Apple Watch’s health monitoring
- New leak shows dual camera exclusive to ‘iPhone 7 Plus,’ but no Smart Connector
- Apple releases first developer betas for iOS 9.3.3, tvOS 9.2.2
- More iPhone 7 leaks surface, protruding camera seen
- Apple pulls iOS 9.3.2 update for 9.7” iPad Pro due to ‘bricking’ issues
- Report: CarPlay coming to BMW vehicles later this year
- Report: One iPhone model to use a glass casing next year
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)