Sorting tracks when importing CDs
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: When I import a CD into iTunes the playlist automatically shuffles the songs around from their original order. Then when I burn a CD or listen to my iPod I have no idea of the original order. How do I stop this from happening?
A: The most likely cause of this is that the “Shuffle” setting is turned on somewhere in iTunes, either for the CD import itself or within the playlist that you are creating from the content. This is normally indicated by the “Shuffle” button in the bottom-left corner of the iTunes window. This button will turn blue when shuffle mode is enabled, and remain black if shuffle mode is not enabled.
This can be enabled on a playlist-by-playlist basis, but iTunes will tend to remember the previous settings for a given playlist or CD. To turn the shuffle setting OFF, simply click the shuffle button, or select “Shuffle” from the Controls menu to toggle the option.
The other possible cause for this is that you may be sorting your CD tracks by a different order than the normal track number. The current sort order is indicated by the blue column heading when viewing a playlist, and if sorting by a field such as the track name, this will naturally not reflect the natural order of the tracks on the CD.
To solve this, either sort by track number, or return to the manual sort order by clicking on the left-most column heading (the one with no title). When in the natural sort order, you can also manually re-arrange the tracks within a playlist into any order you prefer simply by selecting a track and dragging it up or down in the list (note that you cannot do this for a CD - you will need to import the tracks into a playlist and then adjust the sort order within the playlist itself).
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10