Speakers for charging a 3G iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Hi, I’ve been having a lot of trouble finding a good and relatively inexpensive speaker/docking station that is compatible with my 3G ipod. I purchased the Logitech mm50 only to find that it has problems charging my 3G. I don’t want to purchase another system only to find that it has compatibility issues with my iPod. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!
A: Although the third-generation iPod uses the same Dock Connector port as the current models, one significant difference is that it did not charge using the USB power sources that are compatible with the later generation iPods.
Specifically, the 3G iPod will only charge over FireWire, which was a different voltage and used different “pins” in the Dock Connector from the USB connection. Unfortunately, many current-model speakers may only provide power on the USB connection in the Dock Connector, and therefore will not charge the iPod.
Unfortunately, the solution to this may be somewhat complex. The original mm50s, Bose SoundDock, and Altec Lansing iM7 definitively will charge a 3G iPod. In fact, we specifically re-tested a 3G iPod with each of these units this morning, and it charged without any problems whatsoever. However, manufacturers may well have made changes to these models since their initial release, and limited their ability to charge older iPods. Since companies don’t publish lists of changes, and there are a myriad of different revisions out there, it’s basically impossible to track all of the changes that have been made from the older models. In addition, there are generally no indications whatsoever on the packaging of these products as to whether or not they will actually charge a 3G iPod, so the only way to determine this is generally to try it out for yourself.
Your best solution is to visit an Apple Store or comparably equipped retailer with 3G iPod in hand, and test charging on their floor models, explaining to a salesperson that you’ll need to make a return if the one in the box differs from the one on display.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!