Storing files on iPhone
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I would like to store files on my iPhone 3GS (32GB) so that I may access them if I am away from my computer or transfer them to another computer. These files are predominantly Windows Office 2007 files. While I would ideally like to view the files on my iPhone it is not a must have. I simply want my iPhone to act like a flash drive for these files and would prefer the ability to sync via the USB cable as opposed to uploading the files to an external site. Can this be done?
A: There are several applications on the App Store that can be used to transfer files to your iPhone and store them and view them on the device. Due to Apple SDK restrictions, however, none of these applications provide USB Mass Storage device support. Instead, you either sync your documents via an online service such as iDisk or Dropbox or you transfer them directly between your computer and your iPhone via Wi-Fi using either a web browser or a dedicated file transfer app. You may want to check out apps such as Air Sharing or FileMagnet for this purpose.
Alternatively there are third-party applications such as TouchCopy that you install on your PC or Mac that can store files on the iPhone via USB. While this provides for file transfer without having to deal with Wi-Fi synchronization, the obvious disadvantage is that you would need to install the application on each computer that you plan to use your iPhone with.
It’s worth noting that the iPad apparently will include a USB mass storage mode. Since the iPad uses a slightly newer version of the iPhone OS, it is possible that Apple may also introduce this feature to the iPhone in a future OS update.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple acquires automation app Workflow
- Nintendo updates Super Mario Run, makes more courses available for free play
- Apple confirms iCloud and Apple ID systems have not been breached in response to hacker threat
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- Apple reveals(RED) iPhone 7, 7 Plus models, doubles storage of iPhone SE
- Apple drops 32GB iPad mini 4, reduces price of 128GB model and discontinues iPad mini 2
- Apple unveils new upgraded entry-level 9.7” iPad, replacing iPad Air 2
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10