Storing files on iPhone
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I would like to store files on my iPhone 3GS (32GB) so that I may access them if I am away from my computer or transfer them to another computer. These files are predominantly Windows Office 2007 files. While I would ideally like to view the files on my iPhone it is not a must have. I simply want my iPhone to act like a flash drive for these files and would prefer the ability to sync via the USB cable as opposed to uploading the files to an external site. Can this be done?
A: There are several applications on the App Store that can be used to transfer files to your iPhone and store them and view them on the device. Due to Apple SDK restrictions, however, none of these applications provide USB Mass Storage device support. Instead, you either sync your documents via an online service such as iDisk or Dropbox or you transfer them directly between your computer and your iPhone via Wi-Fi using either a web browser or a dedicated file transfer app. You may want to check out apps such as Air Sharing or FileMagnet for this purpose.
Alternatively there are third-party applications such as TouchCopy that you install on your PC or Mac that can store files on the iPhone via USB. While this provides for file transfer without having to deal with Wi-Fi synchronization, the obvious disadvantage is that you would need to install the application on each computer that you plan to use your iPhone with.
It’s worth noting that the iPad apparently will include a USB mass storage mode. Since the iPad uses a slightly newer version of the iPhone OS, it is possible that Apple may also introduce this feature to the iPhone in a future OS update.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!