Streaming Audio with Apple TV and Airport Express
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I recently bought a third-generation Apple TV. I also have an AirPort Express and have subscribed to iTunes Match. I love the fact that I can play my library directly from the cloud to the Apple TV without having my laptop and NAS device on. However, what I would really like to do is AirPlay from the Apple TV to the AirPort Express which I could then put in the bedroom for late night headphone listening using a nice little headphone amp/DAC combo. I would be using my iPhone as a remote to control track selection but do not want to use the iPhone as the source device due to battery woes. Sadly, am I right in thinking that this functionality does not currently exist within Apple TV and that it is merely an AirPlay receiver rather than sender? Is there a work around that may get the same result?
A: Unfortunately, you are correct that the second- and third-generation Apple TV devices do not provide the ability to send audio to another AirPlay device. The original, first-generation Apple TV actually did provide this feature, but that model has been long discontinued and therefore does not support newer features such as iTunes Match.
The good news is that there have been reports suggesting that this feature may actually be coming in the next major Apple TV OS update; we’ve been informed that the version of the Apple TV OS that is currently in developer beta alongside iOS 6 in fact already includes this capability for both the second- and third-generation Apple TV models. It is expected that this will be released in the fall alongside iOS 6. Although it’s worth keeping in mind that features introduced in beta versions of software don’t always make it into the final release, Apple generally has a good track record regarding features that get revealed in developer betas.
While there aren’t any other workarounds that would involve the Apple TV, you may want to consider simply using your iPhone connected to an external power source such as a speaker dock or iPhone charger. This should alleviate any battery concerns; once fully charged, your iPhone will simply run from the external power source, bypassing the battery entirely, so doing this will not in any way shorten your battery life.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10