Streaming Audio with Apple TV and Airport Express
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I recently bought a third-generation Apple TV. I also have an AirPort Express and have subscribed to iTunes Match. I love the fact that I can play my library directly from the cloud to the Apple TV without having my laptop and NAS device on. However, what I would really like to do is AirPlay from the Apple TV to the AirPort Express which I could then put in the bedroom for late night headphone listening using a nice little headphone amp/DAC combo. I would be using my iPhone as a remote to control track selection but do not want to use the iPhone as the source device due to battery woes. Sadly, am I right in thinking that this functionality does not currently exist within Apple TV and that it is merely an AirPlay receiver rather than sender? Is there a work around that may get the same result?
A: Unfortunately, you are correct that the second- and third-generation Apple TV devices do not provide the ability to send audio to another AirPlay device. The original, first-generation Apple TV actually did provide this feature, but that model has been long discontinued and therefore does not support newer features such as iTunes Match.
The good news is that there have been reports suggesting that this feature may actually be coming in the next major Apple TV OS update; we’ve been informed that the version of the Apple TV OS that is currently in developer beta alongside iOS 6 in fact already includes this capability for both the second- and third-generation Apple TV models. It is expected that this will be released in the fall alongside iOS 6. Although it’s worth keeping in mind that features introduced in beta versions of software don’t always make it into the final release, Apple generally has a good track record regarding features that get revealed in developer betas.
While there aren’t any other workarounds that would involve the Apple TV, you may want to consider simply using your iPhone connected to an external power source such as a speaker dock or iPhone charger. This should alleviate any battery concerns; once fully charged, your iPhone will simply run from the external power source, bypassing the battery entirely, so doing this will not in any way shorten your battery life.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!