Streaming iTunes Radio in the car
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: How can I get iTunes radio stations to play through my car stereo while the car is moving? I don’t think I want to use the iPhone, but rather a laptop with iTunes installed. How would the signals get to the moving car?
A: iTunes Radio stations are streamed across the Internet, so in order to play them in your car you will need to have Internet access. Using an iPhone with a data plan and an app such as Pandora or Slacker Radio is the simplest way to handle this, as the iPhone of course already has Internet access over the cellular network.
If you really want to use your laptop to do this, you’re going to need to provide Internet access to it so that it can get at the radio streams while you’re away from Wi-Fi access points. To get Internet access on a laptop you can either purchase a data card or USB device from your cellular carrier or “tether” your iPhone or other compatible cell phone to provide the Internet access for your laptop. Purchasing a data card will normally require a separate data plan with an associated monthly fee, and is probably not worth it just to listen to Internet Radio in your car since the fee would likely be higher than subscribing to Sirius or XM Radio. A better alternative is “tethering” which allows you to access the Internet by connecting your cell phone to your computer. In this case you’d be sharing the same data plan that your phone normally uses so there would be no extra costs providing you’re paying for a sufficient amount of data. However, not all carriers or phones support tethering—for instance the iPhone is capable of tethering, but AT&T does not provide this capability for iPhones on their network at this time.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!