Streaming iTunes Radio in the car
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: How can I get iTunes radio stations to play through my car stereo while the car is moving? I don’t think I want to use the iPhone, but rather a laptop with iTunes installed. How would the signals get to the moving car?
A: iTunes Radio stations are streamed across the Internet, so in order to play them in your car you will need to have Internet access. Using an iPhone with a data plan and an app such as Pandora or Slacker Radio is the simplest way to handle this, as the iPhone of course already has Internet access over the cellular network.
If you really want to use your laptop to do this, you’re going to need to provide Internet access to it so that it can get at the radio streams while you’re away from Wi-Fi access points. To get Internet access on a laptop you can either purchase a data card or USB device from your cellular carrier or “tether” your iPhone or other compatible cell phone to provide the Internet access for your laptop. Purchasing a data card will normally require a separate data plan with an associated monthly fee, and is probably not worth it just to listen to Internet Radio in your car since the fee would likely be higher than subscribing to Sirius or XM Radio. A better alternative is “tethering” which allows you to access the Internet by connecting your cell phone to your computer. In this case you’d be sharing the same data plan that your phone normally uses so there would be no extra costs providing you’re paying for a sufficient amount of data. However, not all carriers or phones support tethering—for instance the iPhone is capable of tethering, but AT&T does not provide this capability for iPhones on their network at this time.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- Report: Apple working on 4K for next-generation Apple TV
- Apple announces WWDC 2017
- Apple patent points to possible new Smart Keyboard with dedicated ‘Share’ and ‘Emoji’ keys
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10