Streaming to multiple AirPlay speakers from Apple TV
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Can I send audio from an Apple TV to multiple AirPlay speakers like I can with iTunes?
A: Unfortunately, not directly—this capability is still limited solely to iTunes running on a Mac or Windows PC.
Note that it is possible to work around this by using a Mac or PC running software such as Rogue Amoeba’s Airfoil. Although this would require you to leave a computer running, it would not necessarily need to be the computer hosting your primary iTunes library, and you would gain the advantage of being able to more effectively control the content directly from the Apple TV rather than having to rely on the iOS Remote app or directly accessing your computer.
Airfoil is a $25 app that allows you to stream any audio from a Mac or PC via AirPlay to multiple speakers. Combined with the included Airfoil Speakers app, you could stream audio from your Apple TV to your computer, and then use Airfoil on your computer to stream that audio back out to any number of other AirPlay destinations. You would simply select your computer as the AirPlay destination from your Apple TV, and then selecting Airfoil Speakers as the audio source on your Mac and choose multiple AirPlay or Airfoil destinations from there.
Airfoil Speakers can also act as a receiver on other computers, and free iOS and Android versions of Airfoil Speakers are also available to allow you to stream audio back to a mobile device, which could play that audio through a connected set of headphones or speakers. An Airfoil Remote app is also available for iOS that allows you to control Airfoil running on your Mac using your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Of course, since this requires you to leave a computer on with Airfoil running, it isn’t necessarily all that more practical than simply streaming from your iTunes library, but the ability to stream to other devices that aren’t otherwise AirPlay compatible—such as an iPhone or iPod touch—may be of some benefit, as is the ability to actually initiate and control playback directly from the Apple TV itself.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: 10.5” iPad Pro could still arrive this spring
- Apple’s Pages, Numbers, and Keynote apps gain Touch ID support, other improvements
- Apple releases tvOS 10.2 and Apple TV Remote for iPad
- Apple releases watchOS 3.2, featuring Theatre Mode, SiriKit
- Apple releases iOS 10.3 with Find My AirPods, Siri + CarPlay improvements
- Wells Fargo rolling out ability to use Apple Pay for transactions at some ATMs later this year
- Apple ‘stepping up’ investment in AR glasses, but they’re still reportedly more than a year away
- Beijing court overturns ruling that iPhone 6, 6 Plus violated design patents
- TSMC to begin production of A11 chips for new iPhone in April
- Report confirms legitimacy of at least some of the stolen iCloud credentials being held for ransom
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10