Switching Apple IDs on FaceTime for Mac
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have just upgraded to Mountain Lion and have read with interest your description about FaceTime. My problem is that on my wife’s iMac I first configured FaceTime with my own ID and now I would like to delete it and setup FaceTime with her Apple ID. However, it seems impossible to delete the account I already created on her iMac and the machine is not allowing me to add her mail address to my Apple ID either. In your article you write that a user can sign off FaceTime or sign in with different Apple ID, but I can’t seem to figure out how I sign in with a new Apple ID to go from my account to my wife’s.
A: You actually can sign out of FaceTime or add additional e-mail addresses, but the option is hidden away in the FaceTime Preferences which are accessed from the FaceTime menu in the same way as for most other OS X apps.
Once you open the Preferences, the left side of your FaceTime window will show an option to toggle FaceTime on or off, as well as information about the Apple ID you’re signed in with and the e-mail addresses being used for FaceTime.
From here you can add additional e-mail addresses by clicking the Add Another Email… option or change your Caller ID to use any of your configured e-mail addresses. Most importantly, you can also click on the Account field to access a screen providing options for changing your region or country, viewing your account information or signing out of FaceTime entirely.
Simply click the “Sign Out” button to sign out of FaceTime, which will return you to the initial sign-in screen that would have been shown the first time you setup FaceTime.
From here you can sign in with your wife’s Apple ID and password in order to set her up for FaceTime on her iMac.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!