Switching from MP3 to AAC Without Losing Your Mind | iLounge Article

Article

Switching from MP3 to AAC Without Losing Your Mind

If you’re anything like me, the minute you downloaded iTunes 4 and saw that it supported AAC-encoded files, your mind was bristling with plans to re-encode every mp3 in your music library to the smaller, higher-quality AAC format.

I began the massive project the day iTunes 4 came out. (“Massive” is about the only way to describe re-encoding over 9500 songs from CD all over again.) Remembering the month it took me to get the music onto my hard drive the first time, I was not looking forward to hours in front of the computer, mucking about with ID3 tag info and correcting CDDB’s many, many errors.

Replace Existing

iTunes is one of the best pieces of software Apple makes, and the fact that it is still freeware (knock on wood) is doubly amazing. Each release of iTunes has not only added features, but has done so with intelligence and attention to usability. iTunes 4 did not disappoint; as with any piece of software, the details matter; the detail that increased my admiration for iTunes’ developers the most this time was the “Replace Existing” option.

The authors of iTunes intuited that a great many users would, like me, want to convert huge libraries of music from mp3 to AAC, and that these users were going to re-encode straight from CD to avoid the sound-quality loss that comes with converting one MPEG codec to another. At the same time, they reasoned (rightly) that the same users would likely have invested a great deal of time compiling playlists, rating songs, and adding comments to certain mp3s, information that, were we to re-encode, we’d lose and have to enter all over again.

Hence, the “Replace Existing” option. I discovered the option the first time I clicked “Import” to re-encode a CD: a dialog popped up and in the bottom left-hand corner of the dialog was a button reading “Replace Existing”. I clicked the button and iTunes proceeded to encode the files, write the old database information to them , and then move the older files to the Trash.

pic

The only problem with “Replace Existing” is that the option is only made available when the tag info of the CD and the tag info of the tracks being replaced is identical. Given that most users change CDDB’s data to edit for accuracy or to suit their particular needs, this means that often, a user will insert a CD, click “Import” and not be offered the option.

Thankfully, there are ways to remedy this problem. The simplest method is to insert the CD, get the track info from CDDB, and edit the CD’s tags as needed.  iTunes will allow you to edit disc-wide tag info from the Sources window. Click on the CD’s icon while holding down the “control” key. a contextual menu will appear which offers a “Get Info” option. Selecting this will result in a window containing the CD’s info, all of which is editable.

pic

pic

This same method works for getting the info of individual tracks.

pic

pic

Of course, with 9500+ songs to re-encode, I quickly lost patience with this method, as easy as it is, and I began looking for a quicker solution. I turned to AppleScript, and wrote a script which automates the compare and change process (available here for download). Now, I can insert the CD, batch-select the files I’m replacing, and run the script, making the task that much quicker.  (Note: the AppleScript isn’t perfect - if you use it, make sure you double-check the CD track info before encoding. CDSelecting “Advanced:Get CD Track Names” will re-write the CDDB info to the CD. The script also won’t work if the album in your iTunes Library doesn’t have the same number of tracks as the CD.)

If, for some reason, you change your tag info and on clicking “Import”. you are not given the “Replace Existing” option, do not despair. Remember that your old files are still on your computer, so before you remove them from your Library, find out if the songs are in any playlists. You can get this information the same way you got the track info: hold down “control” and click on the song. If the song is in any playlists, a “Playlists” contextual menu item will appear. Selecting it will show you which playlists include the song in question. Having found this out, you’ll want to add the new version of the track to the playlist and put it above or below the old on in the playlist queue.
The best means of doing this is to set your view mode to “Browse” (“Edit:Show Browser” or type “command-b”) .

pic

In the Browser, select the artist and album you’re working on. In the tracks panel of the main browser window, you’ll see that both the AAC and mp3 files are displayed. Sorting by “Kind” will separate them. From there, it should be simple to work with your tracks and playlists.
Once you’ve got your playlist info squared away, make sure you compare the ratings and comments of each track. Having done this, it should be safe to delete the old files. You’ll lose play counts, but other than that, your metadata will be identical.

Working With Libraries in Multiple Locations

One of the downsides of my behemoth music library is the stricture of space. When I initially encoded my files, I was on a PowerBook G3 with a pitifully small hard drive. I bought an 40 GB external hard drive, which sufficed, for a time,  but by the time I upgraded to my current G4 iMac, my collection had grown beyond the hard drive’s capacity. Thus, I currently have 60 GB of music in two locations; most o f it residing on the external drive, and the rest on my iMac’s hard drive.
iTunes will only recognize one folder/location as its default Library location.  The default Library is where iTunes writes files it encodes. This is not an issue for normal operation of iTunes, but obviously, if I’m re-encoding files, iTunes will want to put every new file in its default Library , regardless of its initial location.

iTunes will, of course, allow you to change the location of your music folder. This is done quite easily under the Advanced tab of your iTunes Preferences. Changing the music library location is as simple as clicking “Change”.

pic

So, armed with stacks of CDs, my solution is to organize the discs into two basic piles, corresponding to which drive they currently “live” on. Then pick the pile of music that “lives” wherever your default Library is currently set to, and start encoding. Once you’ve completed that stack, change the Library location, and encode those discs.

The main advantage of AAC over mp3 is overall smaller file size without quality loss, which means that, when you’re done encoding, you’ll have extra room in both spots. You may want to migrate files from one location to another. In my case, I’ll want to fill up the external hard drive, freeing up room on my iMac’s hard drive. But I won’t want iTunes database to “lose” the files. So, I’ll close iTunes, copy the files, open it, and change its Library location to the external drive. iTunes will update its song locations. Then I can change the Library location back, and it’ll update song locations again, resulting in my Library set to the correct folder and my songs all accounted for.

The Best Insurance Policy

Once you’re all done, I cannot recommend making backups enough.  iTunes 4 will make backups to DVD-R ( if you have a Super Drive) or CD-R, but either way, the best way to ensure you don’t have re-rip your CDs before a new, better codec is released is to get the tracks the way you want them and then burn those babies to a CD or DVD.

You should also periodically back up your iTunes Library File. This file is the database that contains all the track information about your songs. Backing this up is as simple as highlighting it in the Finder and selecting File:Duplicate. Should your Library file become corrupted, you have a backup with your playlists and metadata ready to replace it.

« iPod Adventures in the Middle East: Part I

Will any MP3 player ever catch Apple’s iPod? »

Comments

-99

I’m going through a similar process now.  A few observations:

9500 songs?

Posted by Andrew Giddings in UK on May 17, 2003 at 1:28 PM (CDT)

-98

There is another option.  If you are like me and aren’t that particular about the difference between MP3 and AAC quality, you can use Ovolab’s (http://www.ovolab.com) AAChoo utility.

From their website:

An amazing utility for every music lover, Ovolab AAChoo converts all your MP3 songs to AAC, the new high-quality and compact audio format at the core of MPEG-4, with an easy drag-and-drop interface and full control over every encoding parameter.

Try that out !!

Posted by A G4 Cube User in NY on May 18, 2003 at 5:21 PM (CDT)

-97

DON’T USE Ovolab AAChoo!
Frequent crashes are bad, as is the wiping of ID3 tags in many cases.

Don’t waste your time.

Posted by mc on May 19, 2003 at 2:27 PM (CDT)

-96

Ovolab AAChoo doesn’t do anything that iTunes doesn’t also do. Why pay extra money for functionality iTunes already has? A phrase from a Buddhist parable comes to mind:

Selling water by the river.

Posted by eustacescrubb in Yellow Springs. OH on May 19, 2003 at 2:52 PM (CDT)

-95

Dude, you shouldn’t use AAChoo anyway.  Running two different codecs over the same song is a very bad idea because of severe audio degradation.  Not good.

Posted by Seth Johnson in Texas, USA on May 19, 2003 at 2:56 PM (CDT)

-94

How about Windows XP, is there any apps can rip the CD direct to AAC ?

godzilla

Posted by godzilla in UK on May 19, 2003 at 11:09 PM (CDT)

-93

Get a Mac.

Why mess with XP?  I converted last November & never looked back.  I have 3 iBooks (very low cost) & a Powerbook in the house with an airport base station…. and I bout my wife an iPod with her iBook.  She loves it (& me for it).

Posted by Freddy on May 20, 2003 at 12:51 AM (CDT)

-92

If you do end up with duplicate tracks (1 AAC & 1 MP3) after reripping a CD theres a good way I use which enables you to preserve the play count, and any info thats stored in the iTunes library rather than the ID tags.

Do an an apple R to show your MP3 in the finder, and delete it (inc. emptying the trash). Then in iTunes, clear the AAC track (remove from library) by hitting backspace, and when it asks you if you want to move the track to the trash hit no. Then, Do a get info (or play) the MP3 track… it will say it can’t find it, do you want to locate it… then you just point it towards the AAC file and bingo…. play counts are preserved!

Posted by rees in london on May 20, 2003 at 4:22 AM (CDT)

-91

If you have edited a CD’s info because the CDDB info was wack, your Mac will keep in its cache the info you entered. iTunes will only look up CD info if you check the pref to always look up CD info on the net. Otherwise it will check its local cahe data and use that.

The downside is this won’t work if you have edited your track info AFTER ripping. However I’ve been in the habit of editing track info when the CD is still in the drive, that way, if I ever need to play the tracks from the CD the track info is to my liking. Perhaps more of a tip for future encoding…

Posted by monty on May 20, 2003 at 4:39 AM (CDT)

-90

If you’re looking for a little more control when ripping CDs as AAC, try Make Mine MPEG-4 (rip 10 CD demo, $7.00 thereafter). iTunes doesn’t let you set some of the encoding options in QuickTime, Audio Quality for example. Anecdotal evidence suggests that iTunes has it set at “Good” or “Normal”, but QT is capable of Better and Best. Further subjective listening tests suggest AACs ripped at 192 kbps at Best Audio Quality are superior to “plain-old” iTunes rips.

Cheers,
Doug

Posted by Doug Adams on May 20, 2003 at 5:24 AM (CDT)

-89

I have a couple questions regarding the new AAC format. As I understand it, if I convert MP3s to AAC the sound quality will degrade. Is this true? Therefore if the original was from a CD, I have to re-rip the CD. OK, I can do that. But what if the original was a downloaded file. Is converting a viable option or will I lose too much sound quality.

Also, I have now set up itunes to import as AAC. Therefore if I download a file, I assume its automatically being converted to AAC when I import into itunes. Does this degrade the sound?

Thanks,

Dave

Posted by davewe on May 20, 2003 at 11:11 AM (CDT)

-88

without getting the “stupid windows user. just switch” response… are there any info sources on AAC support and transferring to iPod on a PC (particularly windows XP and/or Linux).

i’m well aware of the fact that i should have a mac and believe me, if apple’d lower their goddam prices i’d have one. but i don’t (yet) so i gotta deal with windows and i’d like to do so with better AAC audio quality.

feel free to drop me an email at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) with any responses.

Posted by johnny duophone in illadelph on May 20, 2003 at 10:25 PM (CDT)

-87

Dave Wrote:
if I convert MP3s to AAC the sound quality will degrade. Is this true?

Any time you compress something in a non-lossless format sound quality will degrade. I is like taking a piece of red paper and cutting it to fit a frame then realising you want to use a different frame. if you try to cut the piece of paper again it is still a red piece of paper just not as much.

Dave Wrote:

“Too much” is relative if you don’t like it don’t convert if you think it is worth the time loss in quality and effort to you do it, but why convert when the ipod can play both one right after the other?

Dave Wrote:

It will not automatically convert from one compressed format to another. you have set it to import from CD’s as AAC. If it were to convert it would degrade the sound to your ears.
Jim

Posted by Jim on May 21, 2003 at 1:52 AM (CDT)

-86

Is the new MMJB can rip the CD to AAC ?

Posted by godzilla in UK on May 22, 2003 at 2:21 AM (CDT)

-85

I can’t wait for iTunes for Windows. Then I can get my wonderful iTunes interface at work (with windoze. :(((  )

Posted by Chris on May 22, 2003 at 5:34 PM (CDT)

-84

Rather than relying on perfect dupes of CDDB track info in order to use “Replace Existing,” why not manually delete the old tracks by using shift-arrow to highlight the tracks and delete them?

Not as elegant, but a lot faster—especially if you sort by Date Added and/or Format and then go through all the older tracks and kill ‘em off…..

Posted by libratem on May 22, 2003 at 6:46 PM (CDT)

-83

Because deleting the old tracks means losing the metadata, like ratings, play counts, comments, and it means losing songs from playlists.

Posted by eustacescrubb in Yellow Springs. OH on May 22, 2003 at 7:52 PM (CDT)

-82

Let’s look past format wars into the future. Formats like AAC will come and go. How often do you feel like re-ripping your CDs?

Enough is enough. Rip to WAV and store permanent copies of your UNCOMPRESSED music. Hard drive space is cheap. Less than $1 a GB. Soon we will have 1TB drives.

Once you have all your music ripped to WAV, you can toss the aluminum for good and use those shelves for bamboo plants.

Every time a LATEST GREATEST new format comes along, you can just batch convert and put the archive hard drives away until next time (use external FireWire drives for convenience).

2 questions:

1) What is the best software to rip to WAV… I have used MusicMatch on the PC and it does CDDB lookup and names the file based on artist/album/song and even uses directories based on all that, which is nice. WAV files can’t store ID tags. Is there a better method?

2) What is the best software that converts WAV files to AAC (or the latest format)? I want to somehow preserve custom tag info for each track (complete with album graphics). I suppose I could store that in files in the directories with the songs, but it could get kind of messy.

Any suggestions?

Posted by Joey J in Chesterfield MO USA on May 25, 2003 at 7:32 AM (CDT)

-81

Just a couple ideas:

If you re-rip a CD to AAC and for whatever reason, ‘Replace Existing’ doesn’t come up.  Just import anyway.  After it is done, browse to the album in iTunes.  Hit apple-J and enable the kind field.  Sort by Kind by clicking on the ‘Kind’ header and just delete the MPEG files.  You’ll have just AAC left.

Also use Smart Playlists to keep track of your ripping progress.  I have a Smart Playlist that keeps track of mp3’s not converted yet by using kind is ‘MPEG’ and date modified is before April.  I have a second Smart Playlist that keeps track of re-ripped AAC by using kind is ‘AAC’.  With live updating you can watch your progress by checking these playlists.

Don’t rip your mp3’s to AAC.  Go back to the orginal CD.  If the mp3’s are downloaded, just deal with the fact that they are mp3’s.  I would only suggest re-ripping mp3’s if the original bit rate was at 256kbps or higher.  The only use for that would be to save a few megs of file size.  At that rate, you won’t lose that much quality if you go to AAC.  Please DO NOT re encode a 128 mp3 and expect any decent sound quality.

If you import any file supported by iTunes into iTunes it will remain at whatever format it was orginally.  iTunes will only convert format if you tell it to.

To manage WAV files:  I’ve never used it, but you may want to check out iView Media Manager http://www.iview-multimedia.com/  It may be what you are looking for.  I’m not sure.

Posted by Michael Hengeli on May 25, 2003 at 7:29 PM (CDT)

-80

I agree with comments made by Joey J. I have re-ripped several times with my latest discovery of the latest and greatest. I have settled on keeping copies of my CDs in .aiff format (uncompressed) and AAC versions of the same for my iPod.  I’ll keep the originals and batch convert should some other better compression come along.

Posted by Randy Decker in Vancouver on May 25, 2003 at 10:29 PM (CDT)

-79

I’ve just finished uploading all of my music to my iMac at home, and just bought a second one for the office.  I have an iPod, but short of always keeping the iPod with me, is there an easy way to transfer the entire library to the second computer?  I’d hate to take all of my CDs to the office to load them again….

Thanks.

Posted by Samir M on May 27, 2003 at 6:42 PM (CDT)

-78

I have the same situation. I encoded all of my cds and then wanted to listen to them at work as well. I started to re-encode everything at work but quickly became frustrated. 700 CDs would take just too long to do again. Simple solution. One morning, I took out the hard drive from my home mac, brought it to work, plugged it into my work mac. Copy, BAM! All of my mp3/AACs at work.

Posted by Steven Seybold in Los Angeles on May 27, 2003 at 7:37 PM (CDT)

-77

Just use the iPod as a transportable hard drive. Copy the music files to it outside of iTunes. Reformat the iPod first if you need more room.

Take the iPod to computer #2 and copy all the songs over to its hard drive.

Then reformat the iPod and let iTunes put all your songs back in playable format.

If you’re on Windows, use XPlay to copy songs to and from the iPod without the restrictions of iTunes.

Posted by Joey J in Chesterfield MO USA on May 28, 2003 at 8:49 AM (CDT)

-76

does aac sound much beter than mp3 to
warrant all this work? i think not

Posted by c mcc on May 29, 2003 at 11:06 AM (CDT)

-75

If you want convert MP3 to AAC without loss of quality: Go into iTunes Preferencies, on Import select encode on AAC-Audio.

Then Select all the songs you want to convert and drag them to “Sources” it creates a playlist. Then: select them again and go into the menue: “Advanced” -> “Convert into AAC” it will convert all.

To delete .mp3 files, go into Sherlock and search for .mp3 in your “Music Folder”. Put them to trash.

WARNING: IF YOU *CONVERT* MP3 to AAC, THE QUALITY WILL BE THE SAME AS MP3 BUT IN A SMALLER FILE. IF YOU REALLY IMPORT *AGAIN* FROM CD’S THE QUALITY WILL BE “BETTER”.

Posted by Christian Leduc on May 30, 2003 at 5:47 AM (CDT)

-74

If I convert, from within iTunes, an mp3 that is 192kbps to an ACC that is 128kbps will I lose any sound quality?

Thanks.

Posted by Larry Dougher Jr on May 31, 2003 at 9:40 PM (CDT)

-73

Yes you will loose sound quality since the file has already been encoded before.
When you create an MP3-file from an uncompressed (or compressed. doesn’t matter really) source some (let’s say 20%) of the frequencies will be gone.

If you convert an MP3 file to an AAC file another 20% will be lost.
You should never compress (ie. convert from mp3 to aac) an already compressed file (such as an mp3 file) again.

Posted by Mikael on June 1, 2003 at 12:19 AM (CDT)

-72

questions!

can i delete songs from ipod?
also why can’t my musicmatch convert cds into mp3 files?

please

thanks

Posted by h.j. on June 2, 2003 at 8:01 PM (CDT)

-71

Ok, Ok - it looks like there are many debates about changing to AAC.  I have one question:

If I re-rip a cd to AAC format, can I then burn an MP3 CD (with like 150 songs to be played on an MP3 CD player)?

If not, I’d loose some functionality to itunes and my burner for my brother’s MP3 CD player.  What do you think?

Posted by Pancho on June 3, 2003 at 10:42 AM (CDT)

-70

To get your iTunes library to a second Mac at work.  Just get Podworks and just load it to the second Mac from your iPod.

I keep PodWorks on the iPod and keep the iPod of “Firewire” drive use and manual.  This allows me to load any songs or playlists to any Mac when I want to without loading software to the Mac!

I was thinking of re-encoding my iTunes Library (2300 songs) to AAC at 192.  I am more interested in quality than space right now.  I have most of my MP3s at 192 and 160 now. Seems the file size is about the same for MP3 and AAC at 192.  Any thoughts out there?

Posted by Dtephen on June 6, 2003 at 3:21 PM (CDT)

-69

Hi ..
A couple of questions :

Does encoding mp3 to AAC make the quality the same but the size smaller?
(If i can only re-encode and not re-rip, should I bother changing mp3’s to AAC?)

Also, any news on iTunes for PC? Coz I was gonna buy a mac purely for it!

Cheers ..
James

Posted by Cycloptic Pimpernel in Sunny Stoke / Huddersfield on June 8, 2003 at 10:49 AM (CDT)

-68

James, though the codecs emphasize different things and quality ratings are subjective, generally speaking AAC should give you equivalent quality at a smaller file size.

Converting from MP3 to AAC would be like painting a copy of a copy of a Rembrandt (with the copies done by somewhat nearsighted artists), rather than looking at the original.

Personally, I don’t have any plans to re-rip but will just upgrade to a larger capacity iPod. The author of the original article, though, evidently has more songs than will even fit on the 30 GB.

I have only heard speculation about an iTunes for PC, tied to the expected launch of iTune Music Store for Windows at the end of the year, and it wasn’t clear if it was real or just wishful thinking. However, I think if you get a Mac you won’t regret it. The laptops are especially nice and good values.

Posted by Fred on June 8, 2003 at 1:25 PM (CDT)

-67

cheers for that..

yeah, i’ll probably try and get a powerbook over the summer.

cheers

Posted by James on June 8, 2003 at 2:08 PM (CDT)

-66

I was an audio fanatic some years back, but at 40, my ears aren’t getting any better. I’m not even sure that an AAC file at 192k will sound better and the file size is the same.

I also encode straight from the CD on my dual 1.42 without first ripping to AIFF and I haven’t had any problems.

Comments of a derisive nature are welcome.

glen

Posted by glen on June 11, 2003 at 9:27 AM (CDT)

-65

I have an AAC encoder for Windows (Nero) and am about to get an Ipod - does anyone know if I can easily get AAC files onto the Ipod?  I don’t see why you can’t just drop them on in HD mode, but since Musicmatch doesn’t support AAC files, does this mean it can’t ‘see’ them and transfer them in the normal way?  Will I lose any functionality?

Excuse my ignorance on the way it works, but as I say I don’t actually have an Ipod yet so have no way of trying stuff out - but I’m ripping my CDs in readiness and want to know which format to use.  And, yes, I’d love to have a Mac, but I’m so broke I’ve had to save up months just for an Ipod - the ‘just get a Mac’ comments are less likely to persuade people to convert (if that’s your true intention) and more likely to convince people that Mac fans are unhelpful and conceited (not true of course!)

Posted by bobba on June 12, 2003 at 7:14 AM (CDT)

-64

Posted by bobba on June 12, 2003 at 7:14 AM (CDT)

-63

Glen said:

“I’m not sure really why re-encoding (from CD) to AAC is necessary. I’ve compared a 128kbps AAC (from the iTunes store) to a 192kbps mp3 and if there’s a discernible difference at all, the mp3 might sound better.”

The difference is the size of the file. No discernible change in audio quality? Even better!

Posted by Doug Adams on June 12, 2003 at 7:33 AM (CDT)

-62

My recommentdation in all for everything is:

I believe it’s better to re-encode to ACC. However, if you have MP3s that you have downloaded online. I suggest you stick with them. In other words, stick with the MP3s you have downloaded from online. Do not re-encode them.

As for WAV, I think thats just plain dumb. If you listen to music with an ipod, not only will you have limited space, battery power will go down (something we want to conserve these days). So I don’t suggest it. So DO reencode your library for the songs you have on CDs. Leave the MP3 songs that you’ve downloaded alone. It will be far more simpler in terms of music quality.
When reencoding somgs to ACC I recommend that you use Make Mine MPEG-4. It really will maximize the quality of your songs if you choose to have ACC. It will take about twice as long to re-encode but it will sond much better.

Peace

Posted by Alan T. on June 12, 2003 at 12:15 PM (CDT)

-61

My .02, if anyone cares. Use what sounds best to you. Don’t use what other people tell you is the best compression format. If your library is in MP3 format and sounds good to you, heck, why not leave it that way?

I am reminded of the old days when StuffIt and Compact Pro were constantly coming up with tighter and tighter compression formats. I’d get the new version of whatever and think, “Gee, if I use this I can squeeze a few more bytes onto this diskette!” After a while I got sick of converting and reconverting and just stuck with one format. I realised it was a huge waste of time.

Posted by bw on June 12, 2003 at 5:22 PM (CDT)

-60

bw said:“I am reminded of the old days when StuffIt…”

I’m with you when you keep that format that sounds good for you!

But there is a big difference between compression and reduction!!!
mp3 and AAC is reducing data (in different ways)! A new, smaller, but complete file is genereted. It’s up to you how it sounds.

And compression files genereted by Stufflt etc. are, once recompressed, back at the same quality they where!!!

But compressed files are not playable, so what do you want to tell us?

Posted by RZ on June 15, 2003 at 6:18 AM (CDT)

-59

I recently bought some music from a web site in AAC formate. I could not get it to work on iTunes, so i consulted iTunes help:

“You might be trying to play an AAC file that was not created using iTunes or downloaded from the Music Store. Songs you download from the online Music Store or import into your library using the AAC encoder are encoded using the new MPEG-4 AAC format, and will play in iTunes and on your iPod. Older AAC files that you find on the Internet or elsewhere won’t play in iTunes”

Basically AAC has to be created by itunes or bought through them, this could mean that itunes could eventually stop people sharing music or at the very least stop you doing anything with your music.

Posted by AR on June 16, 2003 at 7:11 AM (CDT)

-58

check this… is this true ???

A year ago i had a minidisc netmd… this thing was full of encryption…(i believe something with AAC), no mac upload to MD (they only support PeeCee) so it was pretty useless for me… now i have an 15 gig ipod… : ) ...Sony sux 4exer.

Posted by Rastamutz on June 19, 2003 at 3:33 PM (CDT)

-57

i’ll will not convert mp3 to aac i don’t think thats good for the music quality

Posted by Rastamutz on June 19, 2003 at 3:36 PM (CDT)

-56

None of you guys would not have to re-rip if you had just ripped to 256Kbps MP3 or better in the first place.  Many have shown that this is essentially identical in sound quality to CDs. Sure the files are bigger than 128KBps but they’re still a lot smaller than AIFFs.  Besides hard drive space and even flash memory is cheap.  Time (spent re-ripping) isn’t!!  Up your sampling rate now so you won’t have to worry about inevitable codec improvements.

Posted by Giand on June 20, 2003 at 2:15 PM (CDT)

-55

Bobba, Please be patient, the big time apple is having with iTunes music Store and iPod for PC will bring them to the PC itunes for sure, if no money for a Mac? I suggest you rip your CD

Posted by OsMac in lycos on June 24, 2003 at 2:15 AM (CDT)

-54

thanks for the tip, which i have used the other way as i am trying to use MP3 sushi to transmit a music show over the internet to friends and as i found out it wont play the AAC files, so i’ll have to convert back to MP3 and the same method works.

Posted by mac_gladdy on June 24, 2003 at 6:05 AM (CDT)

-53

To Glen,
For the Windows iPod crowd, the new EphPod supports AAC formats for Windows XP. You can get it for free at ephpod.com

Posted by Buell on July 1, 2003 at 1:30 PM (CDT)

-52

AR, I’m with you.

I’ve got MiniDisc coming out my ears - NetMD walkman, MDLP deck in my truck, and one of the few 5CD/1MDLP decks made by Sony (the changer deck is particularly well built IMO).  I loved it, and to a point still do, but hate a lot of the limitations - and Sony has been ZERO help in working with the Macintosh community.  Though I must say the MDLP deck in the truck (augmented by the cd/mp3cd changer) is pretty slick!

My new 17” G4 and 30gb iPod are waiting for me when I get home in a week.  I’m trying not to drool on my keyboard.  And I’ll shelve the MD walkman - won’t get rid of my MD stuff ‘cause I think it’s a neato format, but I completely recognize the advantages the iPod will have in SO many ways.  I travel a lot for work - so the G4/iPod combo will be radically better than the iBook/firewire drive/MD walkman + discs option.

Too bad Sony had to be so proprietary.  A fantastic opportunity just wasted.

That Guy

Posted by that_guy on July 4, 2003 at 6:40 PM (CDT)

-51

On their website, Apple recommends using the AAC format to conserve battery life. Also, tests have shown that a song compressed at 96kps in AAC format sounds better than the same song compressed at 128kps in mp3 format.

Posted by john on July 8, 2003 at 2:15 PM (CDT)

-50

I posted this in another topic, but I am honestly interested in what AAC sounds like if outputted not via the iPod’s analogue outputs but through a digital line out, say through a soundcard.

I output high-bitrate VBR MP3s using the Digital Line Out from my Archos to my Onkyo system and they sound fantastic. Seriously. One of the reasons I avoided the iPod was because of its lack of support for digital I/O. For me all the sounds get kind of mushed coming through an analogue microphone output.

I don’t want to have to re-encode all my stuff at some point in the future… sooner or later Apple will bring out an iPod with digital line out and then I might buy one. So it’s good to get a handle on what AAC sounds like now. Better than VBR MP3? Worse? The same?

Posted by dfsdfsdsdffdfsda on July 8, 2003 at 6:12 PM (CDT)

-49

Posted by fanihi on July 10, 2003 at 2:11 AM (CDT)

-48

I have to say that AAC is an amazing step forward in terms of quality audio playback when space is at a premium.

Does is support multi-channel audio i.e. 5.1 or higher?

Posted by John Hood in UK on July 10, 2003 at 1:06 PM (CDT)

-47

“What i would be interested in is a software database that i could enter info and then access it through iTunes. Sort of like a personal CDDB without all those stuupid mistakes. Re-encoding would not be so much of a hassle, then. The time to encode is not the problem for me, the tags are.”

You already own the database—your current tracks! Try the AppleScript “Copy Track Info to CD Tracks v1.2”
From the descrip: “iTunes 4 has a “Replace Existing” option when users are encoding m4a’s to replace their mp3’s. The problem is that iTunes will only allow this option if the ID3 info for the CD tracks and the mp3 tracks is identical. This script writes the writable info from selected tracks to the info of a CD; when you re-rip, the CD track data is already the way you want it.”

Posted by Doug Adams on July 10, 2003 at 2:13 PM (CDT)

-46

Hey, I got so far down the thread, I plain FORGOT John had already mentioned this script!!! Sorry! :

Posted by Doug Adams on July 10, 2003 at 2:14 PM (CDT)

-45

I’m sorry, I should have spent the time more time in explaining my wish rather than put in such a half-baked statement.
What is “CD Tracks?” Is that an invisible file similar to the CD log used on earlier Mac OS’s?
My problem is that I have three Mac’s at home that I use to rip cd’s. I also have access to a lab of G4’s where i can rip a large amount of cd’s in a relatively short amount of time. As you can imagine, I have a lot of cd’s so keeping track of what was ripped where is a problem.
I wanted a database that I could view and update. I also wanted to be able to update/change track info even after they’ve been ripped. (Is that possible?) Sometimes I rip with a cursory check and effect repairs at a later date.
I know you can export info from iTunes which is helpful since iTunes doesn’t have enough fields for me. But there’s the problem of having the information flow the other way…
Of course, if such a database was created, it would be great if it could be shared over the web with others interested in quality information. Or at least the ability to download other people’s allowing you to import what you want.

Posted by fanihi on July 11, 2003 at 12:25 AM (CDT)

-44

I repeat.  Make you life simple.  If you all had just ripped to 256Kbps MP3 or better in the first place youwouldn’t have to be worrying about all these things. There is no AAC or MP3 bit rate that will sound any better to human ears than 256Kbps. Many have shown that this is essentially identical in sound quality to CDs. Sure the files are bigger than 128KBps but they’re still a lot smaller than AIFFs. Besides hard drive space and even flash memory is cheap. Time (spent re-ripping) isn’t!! Up your sampling rate now so you won’t have to worry about inevitable codec improvements.

Posted by [email protected] on July 11, 2003 at 2:29 AM (CDT)

-43

Even though prices are getting cheaper for hard drive space, it’s still three times as much as I want to pay for the amount of space that I would need for doing AIFF files for all my songs. That would be the ideal and i would do it in a second if I could but it’s still financially unfeasible at this point.
I have about 400 gigs of hard drive space attached to one of my computers. I have songs ripped to extreme lame and I currently use this for burning to audio cd’s. I do this believing that this will give me the best quality during the “un-compression.” I’m still having some issues with this.
Now that i have an iPod, I want to try to get as much as I can on it. I’m ripping songs at the 160 AAC format to see if I’m fine with it. My musical tastes vary considerably from pop/rock/soul songs (40’s to the present), jazz, hawaiian, film music, japanese, new age, etc. I want to get as close as I can to the 7500 suggested limit while getting “good enough” quality. Hey, I want to dial up the appropriate “soundtrack” to whatever’s before my eyes at any given moment! I’m listening to songs I ripped last night as I type this and most seem to be holding up. I’m more disappointed that I’m occasionally getting bad rips than anything else…

Posted by fanihi on July 11, 2003 at 2:51 AM (CDT)

-42

I agree with fanihi and have recently ripped to AAC @ 160.  This probably encodes at a quality equalling mp3 @ 192 and that is good enough for my needs and is economic with disk (and ipod) space.

Posted by YYWWVV on July 14, 2003 at 3:20 PM (CDT)

-41

Joey J’s comments above are so right.

To answer his questions: the best CD-> WAV extraction tool is Exact Audio Copy (free) http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

The best storage format is Monkey’s Audio http://www.monkeysaudio.com/ which uses LOSSLESS compression of around 50% and I believe supports tags. It also decompresses to give you exact original WAV files if required.

The really good news is that the two programs can work together i.e. you can rip straight to Monkeys Audio.

Posted by Graham on July 14, 2003 at 4:40 PM (CDT)

-40

if i rip a track using MMM4 instead of itunes, will i still be able to listen to the result on my ipod?  if so, will i be able to benefit from the increased quality that QTpro will be able to offer?  thanks for the help!

Posted by hamfist on July 18, 2003 at 2:44 PM (CDT)

-39

You can use Media Center to rip/transcode a lot of formats, and script for MP3 or AAC output to iPod

iPod User Guide for Media Center 9

Posted by lossy not Lossy? on August 7, 2003 at 6:39 PM (CDT)

-38

my poem:
if your really really lazy like me
dont bother and stick with mp3

Posted by ti on August 8, 2003 at 3:49 PM (CDT)

-37

I was wondering if someone with some experience in using the iPods on Windows could list some of the “known” bugs plz??

I have thought about buying a 30 gb iPod and i was wondering if there’s more//less buggs compared to 15 gb version or no difference?

And how well does the Ipod work with Usb contacts, does it only work with 2.0 or does it work with normal usb aswell?
Is there any major difficulties making the iPod work at at Pc? Becaue im not that good with computers I really need to know?? :)

Posted by tha potential iPod 15gb Buyer on August 14, 2003 at 5:34 PM (CDT)

-36

Ok, so I’ve spent a ton of time downloading 2,000+ songs. If AAC is so good why isn’t it the default setting in iTunes? The default is MP3 160. So what happens when I plug in my iPod? Does it change the format or put whatever I saved into the Pod? Is it really worth reripping all these files? And what file format comes from the iTunes store? Thanks.

Posted by Kelcey on August 15, 2003 at 12:33 PM (CDT)

-35

Funny thing, everything I’ve converted to AAC sounds….well,  better.  even some ol’ 96 kbps files sound better… The file sizes increased, but everything sounds better…  you can change the size of your AAC bitrate to 192 etc in iTunes.. check the preferences…  and if your mp3 setting is 160 your 128 kbps AAC files will sound sooooo much better.  It’s all in the Listening.  AAC comes from the iTunes Store.  protected AAC to be exact.

Posted by Startyger on August 16, 2003 at 7:36 AM (CDT)

-34

just so things are clear.. if you convert a smaller bitrate to a larger one the file size will get larger..(not much larger… the size will be nearly the same). A larger bitrate will get smaller…  that’s what happens when Converting to AAC.  sorry, i shoulda add’d that earlier just forgot.  have a great time with the new format!!!

Can anyone corroberate my ‘better’ experience… opinion?  (never made a scientific claim.. but..to me.. it sounds better.  ;-)  )

Posted by Startyger on August 16, 2003 at 7:46 AM (CDT)

-33

does anyone know if car MP3/CD Decks will start supporting AAC anytime soon.  MY old Alpine HEad Unti is starting to puke on me.  I’m looking at getting the CDA-9807 and connecting my iPod to it. It would be nice to be able to play AAC cd’s on it as well.
I just converted my Library to AAC. So all of my MP3’s are gone. And I don’t feel like re-re-ripping. Guess i shouldda thought of this first.

Posted by philldo on September 6, 2003 at 9:08 AM (CDT)

-32

One thing I hate about iPods is that they are database-driven (through iTunes). This is fine when you are beginning with audio and know jack about MP3s, but when you want to build up a complete collection its a pain in the a**. iTunes hides too much of the details from me. I am *this close* to trading up to a Neuros or Archos or Karma that will let me mount the device as a simple hard drive on my deskop and move file folders at will.

That way I could convert the files easily without going through all this iTunes ritual clicking nonsense.

In general a database-based system
plugs the songs into a database with fields like title, group, genre and so
on. The plus is you can re-arrange the presentation by, for example, genre,
instead of whatever hierarchy you have them arranged on your hard drive. The
minus is that you have to run all your music through some sort of host-based
software. That software is where Apples does such evil as DRM.

A file-based system works just like, say, WinAmp on a PC. It plays files
that contain MP3 sound data. The plus is, of course, that you only need copy
the files to your machine to have them available to play. The minus is, they
present in the file tree hierarchy you’ve specified. Most of the minus is
overcome by playlists, particularly in conjunction with a programs that can build playlists according to genre or other ID3 info.

I prefer the file based architecture. No host PC software is required and the audio player can function on its own. That’s what held up “on the go” playlists on the iPod for so long, this crazy reliance on the “socializing” over-reaching iTunes and the necessity to redock with the Mac to change stuff on the iPod.

Posted by BetterMP3 on September 25, 2003 at 7:28 PM (CDT)

-31

Nero 6 will rip and encode CDs to AAC quickly and easily in Windows. Now if there was just a decent AAC decoder for Winamp…

Posted by RedFive on October 4, 2003 at 4:36 AM (CDT)

-30

I’ve tried Apple support a few times and even asked buddies who own several Macs the following question without much help:

Will iTunes for Windows allow me to purchase AAC or MP3 files or both to play on my iPod?

Thanks in advance,
Lew

Posted by Lew on October 5, 2003 at 1:24 AM (CDT)

-29

I see the new Napster supports WMA and not AAC. THis is a problem for people who want to move music from Napster to the iPod.

You could just do what I do with Media Center 9 and protected audio files like WMA or AAC: play them in one channel, and record the WAVs using another channel and automatically transcode into MP3. Sure it’s an analog process, but the quality is top-notch and I honestly can’t tell the difference between the original digital files and my analog->digital copies.

This is also why Rhapsody is more valuable to me than iTMS—for $10 a month I get a choice of 300K songs, and I can record them into MP3s at will.

Posted by MC9 on October 9, 2003 at 12:54 PM (CDT)

-28

eustacescrubb wrote:

if this hasn

Posted by m.r.m. on October 19, 2003 at 7:52 AM (CDT)

-27

Hi
I have iTunes for windows now
I have about 1,200 songs and I am thinking about reimporting them all.

First, is it really worth it?  It takes forever, I dont know if it is worth it.

Second, if I do the replace thing, will it copy much faster than a plan import or does that just do a good keeping of your current info for the song?

Thanks

Posted by Scott on October 19, 2003 at 5:56 PM (CDT)

-26

I just recently started re-ripping my cds to AAC and was very happy when I discovered the Copy Track Info to CD Tracks v1.2 script.  It was working great until I downloaded the new iTunes 4.1.  Now when I run the script, I get the error “File Permission Error” and it creates a playlist called “*songProps”.  I ran Disk Utility and repaired my disk permissions, but I still get the error.  What happened?  Is there an update or a fix for this?  I would love to continue using the script… I still have about 500 cds to re-rip.

Thanks

Posted by Adam on October 20, 2003 at 5:04 PM (CDT)

-25

Sorry if I have missed this, but does anyone know if itunes and musicmatch can coexist?  Or would I have to completely transition away from MMJB.  MMJB is incredibly buggy, but how difficult is the transition to Itunes?  Thanks for the help…..

Posted by david on October 21, 2003 at 11:13 AM (CDT)

-24

I keep iTunes & MMJB on my PC, and I just direct both of their music libraries to the same folder location.  For the most part, I like iTunes better, but there have been situations where I’ve opted to go use MMJB for a given situation.  You’ll just have to choose one of them as your default player.

Posted by me on October 30, 2003 at 9:27 AM (CST)

-23

how do you re-encode your files from WMA to MP3??

Posted by Rachel on November 21, 2003 at 6:40 AM (CST)

-22

using a converter.

Posted by scott on November 21, 2003 at 7:54 AM (CST)

-21

“how do you re-encode your files from WMA to MP3”

Media Center. Transcoding.

Read the help file.

Posted by MC9 on November 21, 2003 at 9:06 AM (CST)

-20

I have windows, and iTunes for Windows, and a LOT of mp3’s but now am starting to get a few files in AAC through iTues. I’m thinking about buying an iPod, but it says that it doesn’t support AAC from windows, is that true? So is there any way to switch from AAC to MP3 if it is?

Posted by Jules on November 22, 2003 at 3:01 PM (CST)

-19

No, AAC works a treat with Windows…

Posted by Pashlipops on November 25, 2003 at 11:19 AM (CST)

-18

> AAC works a treat with Windows

This is true. I play AAC files on Windows using J River Media Centre.

Posted by WinAAC on November 25, 2003 at 11:51 AM (CST)

-17

All a bit new to this IPOD/ITUNES etc. Am I right in saying that I cannot RIP my comercial music CD’s to AAC/MP3 using ITUNES 4 (on windows XP) ??
If thats correct, what is a recommended way to do this? Music Match, Nero 6?

Johners

Posted by Johnathan Richards on November 28, 2003 at 3:31 AM (CST)

-16

Yeah you can, I have not found anything that it can’t do (well I have - more about that later).  To rip CDs, first, select the file type with Edit -> Preferences -> Importing.  Then slip your CD in, and iTunes should detect it and get the titles from CDDB, then highlight them all, right click and “Convert selection to ***”.  Dead easy.

The only thing I feel iTunes is lacking is the ability to delete music files directly from your hard drive instead of only from the database.

R O C K   O N !

Posted by Pashlipops on November 28, 2003 at 8:17 AM (CST)

-15

*** PROBLEM RIPPING with iTUNES 4 for WINDOWS ***

I tried ripping one of my commercial CDs on my Windows XP PC, using iTUNES 4 for Windows.

On popping the CD in the drive, iTUNES recognizes the CD/songs correctly and lists all of them.

However, when I click on the"IMPORT” button, it just “steps” through every song on the CD quickly and just creates 4KB files on my hard disk (instead of actually converting them to AAC or MP3)!

Do I have to install something else or do something else to rip my CD collection using iTUNES?

By the way, MUSICMATCH rips these just fine to MP3!

Posted by JediWalker on December 1, 2003 at 1:50 PM (CST)

-14

Hmm, it should work with no tinkering.  I am not insulting your inteligence, but you did highlight them all before ripping?  Have a look at what your settings are in case there is something squiffy.

MusicMatch?  I never got on with it.  iTunes just appears to be a whole new concept!

Posted by Pashlipops on December 1, 2003 at 1:58 PM (CST)

-13

that happened to me….Do you have 2 drivers? if so, I have to use the 2nd one and it works fine.  but if i use the 1st, does the 4kb file

Posted by Scott on December 1, 2003 at 3:59 PM (CST)

-12

Ha Ha, the problem I was having was that I have 2 CD/DVD drives (one being the CD-RW), so I couldnt see the CD from Itunes. Put the CD in the other drive and now I am happy importer. Doh! If only I can work out how I get sound back….........

Posted by johnathan richards on December 3, 2003 at 8:56 AM (CST)

-11

The bottom line is this:

Music sound quality is highly subjective. What one person
thinks sound great, another will find insufficiant!
Some people are very detailed as to what they listen for,
while others can’t hear the difference between a $100
pair of speakers and a $3,000 pair of speakers. And some people listen to the type of music were it won’t sonically
matter if you encode in 10K!
That said as a caviat emptor…

Music sound quality will always be better with NO compression or very little compression then with more compression. Although the average person won’t be able to tell the nuances between a 128 ACC, 192 or a 256 MP3 but if you are the few and proud that can (like me) then it matters. To a true music audiofile lover, quality not quantity should be first priority! Wouldn’t you rather eat one great tasting apple then a basket of half crappy ones!

ONLY MY OPINION, Thanks!

Posted by Ted on December 3, 2003 at 9:50 AM (CST)

-10

Depends how hungry I am!

Posted by Pashlipops on December 3, 2003 at 11:34 AM (CST)

What I don’t get about the whole MP3 to AAC discusssion:
Isn’t it possible to convert your entire collection of MP3s to WAVs in itunes - and then use those uncompressed WAVs to convert to AAC files?
According to Apple, the conversion from MP3 to WAV is possible without any quality loss.

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers, Johannes

Posted by Johandkoh on December 9, 2003 at 7:12 AM (CST)

Can someone post comparisons of file sizes with different encodings, e.g.:
  MP3 default
  MP3 higher resolution {For what it’s worth, I’m using 192 variable)
  AAC default
  AAC higher resolution

I now have 70gb, most of it recorded at 192 variable, so for me converting to AAC is non-trivial :-)

dave
p.s.  on a related note, it would be good for the Classical music community to reach some sort of de-facto standard on what to put into each of the iTunes fields.

Posted by David EMery on December 11, 2003 at 10:26 AM (CST)

Wow.  This is discouraging.  I’m a very inept Windows XP user who bought a 20GB IPod today without doing my homework.  All I want is to have a “jukebox” for my home stereo system so I can put my 500 CDs in storage.  Now I find out there are all kinds of format problems, that maybe the Apple device is still not really compatible with my PC, and even that outputting from the Ipod to my amp through an analog headphone jack is going to muddy up the sound (in which case why even worry about the format?).  And of course, it will take me months to rip the music off of all 500 CDs, and I don’t have PC storage space to keep them uncompressed, but how can you choose a compressed format when they change all of the time?

So, basically, should I just take this thing back and get a Dell or something more PC-oriented?  I don’t want to inflame all of you Apple diehards, but I hate computers in general and want to spend as little time as possible doing this—I just want my music in a jukebox, and I want as close to CD quality as I can get.  Thanks.

Posted by Sparky on December 13, 2003 at 10:33 PM (CST)

Summary:  AAC recordings are definitely smaller than what I’ve been using, but are about the same as MP3 at the same bits-per-second rate (which is understandable, I suppose).  Rip speed is the same at the same kbps rate.

OK, here are some stats:

“Miracles of Notre Dame”, Harp Consort (HMU 907317),
Finder says 707mb on the disk.

AAC default:      65.6mb (high quality, 128kpbs, 12.7x rip speed)

MP3 high/custom:  97.7mb (192kpbs, VBR on, quality Medium, 14.0x rip speed) (my current default)

MP3 custom:  66.3mb (128kbps, VBR on, quality Highest, 12.2x rip speed) (probably similar to AAC…)

MP3 default:      80.3mb (160kbps VBR off, 13.5x rip speed)

Rip speed was as recorded on the longest track (13:34), and is an ‘impression’ of the average of the values reported during Import.  Machine is a 933 G4, iTunes 4.1

Not a rigorous benchmark, your mileage may vary :-)

Which sounds better?  Neither my speakers nor my ears are qualified to judge.  I hope someone else will address that.

dave

Posted by David Emery on December 14, 2003 at 12:32 PM (CST)

I have Windows XP and had problems running Musicmatch, so I downloaded iTunes and it works the same as the iTunes in my iMac.

I tested ripping “Don’t Panic” by Coldplay both in MP3 at 192 Kbps = 3.3 Mb
and AAC at 192 Kbps = 3.2 Mb

People couldn’t tell me which sounds better.

Posted by Jorge on January 20, 2004 at 5:29 PM (CST)

I started with encoding using 320kbs VBR with lame encoder. Then I switched over to itunes and i’m using AAc now also on 320kbs.
My experience is that using these high bit rates the difference is neglectible.

File size on 320kbs is around 10Mb for an average song. Still managable…

Cheers dude

Posted by Dude in Malaysia on February 12, 2004 at 9:00 PM (CST)

What is the bit rate used to create the stuff bought from iTunes Music Store?

Posted by Terry on June 7, 2004 at 10:51 AM (CDT)

“What is the bit rate used to create the stuff bought from iTunes Music Store?”

128kbps

Posted by Doug Adams on June 7, 2004 at 11:08 AM (CDT)

I would use ‘Lossless’ but I mean it works out at 500MB a CD sometimes. And that means you can’t really fit a whole lot of stuff on to your iPod. I use MP3 VBR depending on what type of music is it. I prefer that VBR, as it’s great and doesn’t really need much Equalizer settings applied.

I sometimes use AAC but I don’t see the point. I suppose it’s better in the sense you can get more songs loaded up into the RAM on the iPod quicker due to smaller file sizes.

But I find it’s not worth it. Nothing can really beat the original MP3.

Posted by Rob on August 9, 2004 at 6:00 AM (CDT)

Ah, I wish I had been paying attention a few years ago.  I ripped about 400cds then, in 192kbps.  Thinking I was now digitally invincible, my cd collection has been through the rack.  They’ve been on hundreds of car trips, shared by everyone at a coffeeshop I worked at, and generally are destroyed.  Ripping at this point would be a mess of scratches and skips.  I realize that I will lose quality converting from any codec to another.  But from experience, can anyone tell me what kind of quality loss would be found converting from 192kbps mp3 to (only judging from what I’ve read on this comment list) 128kbps AAC?  How much filespace could I hope to save?  Should I just skip buying an ipod, re-buy my entire collection, and lug around a 50s era jukebox in my trunk?  I suppose experimenting would be the best ticket, but I’m still saving money for my 40gb Ipod.  :)

Posted by Brian on August 20, 2004 at 8:15 AM (CDT)