Synchronizing contacts to iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: How do I download contacts from my email accounts to my iPod touch? I have tried Yahoo, GMail and Hotmail accounts, but I’m only getting my e-mail—none of my contacts are showing up.
A: The iPhone and iPod touch only support wireless over-the-air transfer of contacts from either Apple’s own MobileMe service or a Microsoft Exchange server. For transferring any other type of contact information, you will need to synchronize it via iTunes on your computer.
iTunes itself supports direct transfer of contacts from your online Google or Yahoo! address books, or from your local Windows Address Book (ie, Outlook Express) or your Mac OS X Address Book application.
You can configure these sync settings by connecting your iPod touch or iPhone to your computer and selecting it from the iTunes Devices list. From the main screen which appears, simply click the “Info” tab to display the settings for synchronizing contacts, calendars, and other related information.
Mac OS X users can choose to synchronize content from their local Address Book and their Google Contracts and Yahoo! Address Book contacts—all contacts are aggregated into the OS X Address Book and onto the iPhone. Windows users are instead given a choice of synchronizing with the Windows Address Book, Google Contacts or Yahoo! Address Book contacts.
Once you have configured these contact synchronization settings, iTunes will automatically sync with the appropriate address book(s) each time you connect your iPhone or iPod touch to your computer.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Spotify penalizing artists who release Apple Music exclusives
- Apple releases new round of iOS 10 and tvOS 10 betas
- Report: 2017 iPhone to eliminate home button
- Apple to add payment technology to iPhone for transit passes, Apple Pay in Japan
- Apple releases iOS 9.3.5 ‘security update’
- Report: Apple developing its own Snapchat-style social video editing iOS app
- Apple announces Apple Music Festival lineup including Alicia Keys, Britney Spears + more
- Universal calls an end to exclusives amid criticisms that Apple Music is hurting the industry
- Apple reveals some of its upcoming AI advancements for the iPhone
- Apple Music’s royalty rates complicate Spotify’s contract negotiations
- Western Digital My Cloud (OS 3)
- Distil Union Stanley Stand
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- First Alert Onelink Wi-Fi Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Logitech Create 9.7” iPad Pro Keyboard Case
- iDevices Outdoor Switch Power Outlet
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app