Syncing and backup up iPhone Notes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I store lots of personal and useful information in “NOTES” on my iPhone. Can you please advise me if it is possible to do a backup or copy the content to my PC?
A: By default all of the content on your iPhone gets backed up to iTunes each time you sync your computer. Should you need to erase and restore your iPhone, you can easily restore this backup to put your notes and all other content back on as it was prior to your last backup.
Note that the iTunes backup is not easily accessible however, so if you’re looking to do a backup or transfer of your Notes that you’ll actually be able to read you’ll want to look at third-party tools such as TouchCopy which can be used to transfer notes and a multitude of other information from your iPhone back to your computer.
Alternatively, you may want to consider using a third-party notes application for your iPhone. There are numerous applications on the App Store that can sync to third-party web services or sync via Wi-Fi with an application on your computer. For a basic, free note-taking app that provides a good replacement for the built-in Notes app check out SimpleNote, which syncs with a web-based service and a number of desktop applications. There are numerous other more advanced apps that are available as well, such as Evernote which syncs with its own web service of the same name, and Awesome Note which can be synchronized with Google Docs. A search for “notes” on the App Store will easily turn up dozens of others with varying ranges of sophistication.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple to sell limited-edition Olympic Apple Watch bands exclusively in Brazil
- Report: iPhone 7 will include Lightning adapter instead of Lightning EarPods
- Edward Snowden designing device to prevent iPhone wiretapping
- Report: Apple Car team running into challenges, launch may slip to 2021
- Corning announces Gorilla Glass 5
- Apple under fire for providing refurbished replacements under AppleCare+
- Report: Apple acquires cloud music provider Omnifone? [Update: No]
- Apple releases second iOS 10 public beta
- India clears the way for Apple to open retail stores
- Apple Pay launches in Hong Kong
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Invoxia Voice Bridge
- Incase Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app