Syncing different contact info with two iPhones on the same computer
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I hope you can help me with this. My husband and I just put both of our iTunes libraries on one computer. Everything is working perfectly except that when we sync our iPhones, it is syncing both of our Yahoo contacts on to each other’s iPhones. So I now have all of my contacts and all of his contacts and the same goes for him. Is there a way to make it so that we are just getting our own contacts on our own phone when we have two iTunes libraries on the same computer. Prior to syncing the phones, we each open our respective iTunes library file. Thanks.
A: Unfortunately, when using multiple libraries under the same user account on your computer, the preferences and other settings are still shared between both libraries—only the actual media side of the iTunes library is kept separate. So while you can sync different music, videos and playlists, other settings for things like contacts, calendars and bookmarks will still be shared between both libraries.
The only simple way to solve this is to set up completely separate user accounts on your computer, which will keep your iTunes preferences and other settings separate, including sync settings for your Yahoo contacts. In this scenario, you would each have your own user accounts in your operating system and would log in as your own identity and create and maintain your iTunes libraries separately under each account. Note that you could still share your media content by placing it in a shared folder on your hard drive and having each library reference the same media files, but all other sync settings would be kept completely separate from each other.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple’s UK tax bill under scrutiny
- Apple lays out ‘differential privacy’ plan for data collection
- Report: New iPhone’s space gray to be ‘much darker color’
- Incipio to acquire Skullcandy
- Apple confirms iOS 10 kernel was left open to improve performance
- Apple leaves iOS 10 kernel open to scrutiny
- Judge throws out ‘Error 53’ lawsuit against Apple
- Chinese company in iPhone patent fight is all but defunct
- Apple adds nine more apps to universal search in Apple TV
- WSJ: iPhone to see modest changes this year, eliminate headphone jack
- Phiaton BT 460 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
- Zagg Slim Book for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Element Case Ronin for iPhone 6/6s
- JBL Clip 2 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- Audio-Technica ATH-SR5BT Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Catalyst Case for iPad mini 4
- Jaybird Freedom Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
- Zagg Flex Arc Wireless Earbuds + Speakers
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7NC SonicPro Headphones with Active Noise Cancellation
- Twelve South BookBook for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app