Syncing different contact info with two iPhones on the same computer
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I hope you can help me with this. My husband and I just put both of our iTunes libraries on one computer. Everything is working perfectly except that when we sync our iPhones, it is syncing both of our Yahoo contacts on to each other’s iPhones. So I now have all of my contacts and all of his contacts and the same goes for him. Is there a way to make it so that we are just getting our own contacts on our own phone when we have two iTunes libraries on the same computer. Prior to syncing the phones, we each open our respective iTunes library file. Thanks.
A: Unfortunately, when using multiple libraries under the same user account on your computer, the preferences and other settings are still shared between both libraries—only the actual media side of the iTunes library is kept separate. So while you can sync different music, videos and playlists, other settings for things like contacts, calendars and bookmarks will still be shared between both libraries.
The only simple way to solve this is to set up completely separate user accounts on your computer, which will keep your iTunes preferences and other settings separate, including sync settings for your Yahoo contacts. In this scenario, you would each have your own user accounts in your operating system and would log in as your own identity and create and maintain your iTunes libraries separately under each account. Note that you could still share your media content by placing it in a shared folder on your hard drive and having each library reference the same media files, but all other sync settings would be kept completely separate from each other.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple to sell limited-edition Olympic Apple Watch bands exclusively in Brazil
- Report: iPhone 7 will include Lightning adapter instead of Lightning EarPods
- Edward Snowden designing device to prevent iPhone wiretapping
- Report: Apple Car team running into challenges, launch may slip to 2021
- Corning announces Gorilla Glass 5
- Apple under fire for providing refurbished replacements under AppleCare+
- Report: Apple acquires cloud music provider Omnifone? [Update: No]
- Apple releases second iOS 10 public beta
- India clears the way for Apple to open retail stores
- Apple Pay launches in Hong Kong
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Invoxia Voice Bridge
- Incase Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app