Syncing games to iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have just bought the game Phase from the iTunes Store and am extremely frustrated with it. I manually manage my iPod, and I only use iTunes as a program to put songs from my computer into my iPod. After installing the Phase game, I noticed a “Phase Music” playlist in my iTunes. I read from the iTunes instructions that I have to sync the Phase game and the playlist into my iPod. I tried dragging the game and the playlist in iTunes to the iPod icon, but nothing happened. I disconnected the iPod from the computer, and I couldn’t find the game anywhere on it! What in the world am I supposed to do? Can you please help me find a solution to this problem?
A: The issue here is that the “Manual” mode actually only applies to music and video content, as the name implies (“Manually manage music and videos” ). Other types of content, including podcasts, photos, contacts, calendars, and games are always synchronized automatically, regardless of this setting.
To synchronize the Phase game to your iPod, you must enable synchronization of games in the appropriate iPod settings. This can be done by connecting your iPod, and simply selecting the “Games” tab from the iPod settings screen that appears:
From here, you can simply choose to synchronize either ALL games, or only specific selected games, and then click the “Apply” button. Enabling this option will not affect the manual management of any other types of content (ie, music and videos), nor in fact the sync settings on any other tab within the iPod settings.
Once you click the “Apply” button, iTunes should start a sync operation on the iPod and transfer any selected game(s) to the iPod. Again, this will not synchronize anything else except for the selected content—in this case games only.
In the case of the Phase game, however, there is an additional step, and that is transferring the playlist to the iPod. Fortunately, this can be transferred to the iPod in much the same way as any other playlist would be in manual mode—simply drag-and-drop the playlist to the iPod as you normally would.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!