Syncing iPhone Notes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am looking for an application that I can use to write notes on my Macbook that will then sync these notes to the Notes app on my iPhone. I currently use Mac Notepad, which is great for jotting down information or addresses but it doesn’t sync with my iPhone so I cant take that info with me. Any suggestions?
A: The bad news is that there are presently no third-party apps available that can sync information with the iPhone Notes application, as iPhone developers can’t normally access the data in applications unless Apple specifically allows it through the iPhone SDK. This means that unless you’ve jailbroken your iPhone, it will not be possible to find a third-party app that can read or write the iPhone Notes database.
The good news, however, is that with the iPhone 3.0 OS update, being released next Wednesday (June 17th), iTunes itself will sync your Notes from the iPhone and iPod touch Notes app to the Notes section in Leopard’s Mail app. While this still does not directly solve the problem of using your own notepad application, you may find it worthwhile to switch to the Notes in Apple Mail is this sync capability is important to you. Further, this opens up the possibility of developers syncing with the iPhone Notes indirectly; they can sync with the Apple Mail Notes, which will in turn be synced to the iPhone or iPod touch via iTunes.
Be sure to check out our Complete Guide to iPhone OS 3.0 for some of the new features that are expected to show up in the 3.0 update next week.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren accuses Apple, others, of locking out competition
- Cirrus Logic releases development kit for Lightning headphones
- Report details Apple Music’s vision for exclusive content
- Walgreens adds digital coupons to Apple Pay
- China orders Apple and others to monitor, report on app users
- South Korea regulators investigating Apple
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 26
- Apple’s UK tax bill under scrutiny
- Apple lays out ‘differential privacy’ plan for data collection
- Report: New iPhone’s space gray to be ‘much darker color’
- IK Multimedia iKlip A/V
- ClamCase ClamCase+ for iPad Air 2
- Philips Hue White Ambience Starter Kit
- Naim Audio Mu-so Qb Speaker
- Phiaton BT 460 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
- Zagg Slim Book for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Element Case Ronin for iPhone 6/6s
- JBL Clip 2 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- Audio-Technica ATH-SR5BT Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Catalyst Case for iPad mini 4
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app