Syncing iPhone Notes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am looking for an application that I can use to write notes on my Macbook that will then sync these notes to the Notes app on my iPhone. I currently use Mac Notepad, which is great for jotting down information or addresses but it doesn’t sync with my iPhone so I cant take that info with me. Any suggestions?
A: The bad news is that there are presently no third-party apps available that can sync information with the iPhone Notes application, as iPhone developers can’t normally access the data in applications unless Apple specifically allows it through the iPhone SDK. This means that unless you’ve jailbroken your iPhone, it will not be possible to find a third-party app that can read or write the iPhone Notes database.
The good news, however, is that with the iPhone 3.0 OS update, being released next Wednesday (June 17th), iTunes itself will sync your Notes from the iPhone and iPod touch Notes app to the Notes section in Leopard’s Mail app. While this still does not directly solve the problem of using your own notepad application, you may find it worthwhile to switch to the Notes in Apple Mail is this sync capability is important to you. Further, this opens up the possibility of developers syncing with the iPhone Notes indirectly; they can sync with the Apple Mail Notes, which will in turn be synced to the iPhone or iPod touch via iTunes.
Be sure to check out our Complete Guide to iPhone OS 3.0 for some of the new features that are expected to show up in the 3.0 update next week.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: EU to rule against Apple-Ireland tax deals, recommend Apple pay 1B+ Euros
- Apple sued over unresponsive iPhone 6/6 Plus touchscreen issues
- Apple announces Sept. 7 event
- Philips introduces Hue Motion Sensor
- Photos hint at improved battery for new Apple Watch
- Spotify penalizing artists who release Apple Music exclusives [Update: Spotify responds]
- Apple releases new round of iOS 10 and tvOS 10 betas
- Report: 2017 iPhone to eliminate home button
- Apple to add payment technology to iPhone for transit passes, Apple Pay in Japan
- Apple releases iOS 9.3.5 ‘security update’
- Western Digital My Cloud (OS 3)
- Distil Union Stanley Stand
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- First Alert Onelink Wi-Fi Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Logitech Create 9.7” iPad Pro Keyboard Case
- iDevices Outdoor Switch Power Outlet
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app