Syncing iPod Games from more than one computer
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Can I manually manage my games so I can have one game from one computer and another from another computer?
A: Unfortunately, iPod Games are one type of content that is always managed automatically. This means that you will normally only be able to synchronize games onto your iPod from a single iTunes library.
Note that the “Transfer Purchases” option in iTunes does transfer Games games back to another authorized computer, however. This method can be used to consolidate your iPod Games onto a single computer which you could then automatically synchronize them all from.
To use the “Transfer Purchases” option, simply connect your iPod to your computer, select the iPod in the source list on the left-hand side, and choose File, Transfer Purchases from iPod:
iTunes will scan through your iPod, and any purchased content that is authorized to be played on the current iTunes computer will be transferred back, including any songs, audiobooks, movies, TV shows, and iPod Games.
Note that your computer must be authorized for the account that was originally used to purchase that particular content, or iTunes will not transfer it back. If you are using different iTunes accounts on different computers, you can simply ensure that your “main” computer is authorized for both by choosing Store, Authorize Computer and entering your iTunes Store credentials when prompted.
Keep in mind also that “Transfer Purchases” will bring back everything that is authorized to play on a given computer. If you have a lot of purchased content on your iPod, you will want to ensure that you have sufficient disk space for this.
Once all of the Games are in a single iTunes library, you can then simply automatically sync the games with that library and exclude them from synchronization with any other libraries that you connect your iPod to.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!