Syncing iPod using checked songs
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Is there anyway I can shuffle through songs on iTunes without the songs being checked? My iPod only holds 400 songs so my iTunes only plays these songs which gets quite boring after a while.
A: One of the disadvantages to managing your iPod using the “Sync only checked items” setting is exactly what you describe: Unchecked items are skipped during playback in iTunes unless they are specifically selected for playback.
The best way to avoid this problem is to leave all of your tracks checked, and then create playlists to sync with your iPod. This not only allows you to playback all of the tracks in your library properly, but the use of playlists can provide much more flexibility for loading content onto your iPod, particularly through the use of “Smart Playlists,” which can be used to automatically select certain content for synchronization based on specific search criteria. For example, a Smart Playlist could be created to select 1 GB of music from the “Rock” category that is rated three stars or more and that you haven’t listened to in at least one week.
Setting up your iPod to sync selected playlists is actually quite simple. Once you’ve created the playlists containing the content you want on your iPod, simply connect your iPod, and then select it from the source list where it appears in iTunes on the left-hand side of the screen.
Once you’ve selected your iPod, the main screen should show a summary of your iPod configuration, and several tabs across the top. Simply select the “Music” tab and you will see a list of synchronization options:
Choose “Selected Playlists” and then simply check the individual playlists that you would like synchronized to your iPod, and then click the “Apply” button. Those playlists and all of the tracks in them will then be transferred to your iPod.
Once you have this set up, you can then re-check all of the music in your iTunes library so that it again plays properly when listening to your library through iTunes. A fast way to do this is to simply select the “Music” category from the top of the iTunes source list, and then hold down the CTRL key (Windows) or CMD key (Mac) while clicking on an empty check box—this will toggle the checked status of ALL displayed tracks simultaneously.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!