Syncing newer iPods with older versions of iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
I am hoping to buy my wife a fifth-generation iPod nano but need to sync it with an older version of iTunes (iTunes 188.8.131.52). I was wondering if this is going to be possible? I cannot upgrade my iTunes to the latest version as there is an issue with Quicktime - I always get an error message when upgrading iTunes that says there is already a newer version of Quicktime on my computer so I cannot upgrade (this is not the case). So, can I use a new iPod on older software? If not, do you have any suggestions on how I can deal with my Quicktime issue?
Unfortunately you will not be able to sync any current model iPods with versions of iTunes older than iTunes 9. As a rule, Apple only introduces support for new iPod models in the versions of iTunes that are released when those iPod models come out, and this even applies to firmware updates for the iPhone and iPod touch—iTunes 9 is also required for iPhone OS 3.1.
In terms of dealing with your Quicktime issue, your best option is to completely uninstall both iTunes and Quicktime from your computer via the “Add/Remove Programs” option in Windows and then reboot your computer and reinstall iTunes 9. You will not lose any of your iTunes content or settings by uninstalling iTunes as this only removes the application and not its data. If you want to be extra cautious, however, you can simply backup the “iTunes” folder from under your “My Music” folder before uninstalling iTunes. With both iTunes and Quicktime completely removed this should eliminate any errors from the iTunes installer about conflicts with existing versions of Quicktime.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10