Syncing newer iPods with older versions of iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
I am hoping to buy my wife a fifth-generation iPod nano but need to sync it with an older version of iTunes (iTunes 220.127.116.11). I was wondering if this is going to be possible? I cannot upgrade my iTunes to the latest version as there is an issue with Quicktime - I always get an error message when upgrading iTunes that says there is already a newer version of Quicktime on my computer so I cannot upgrade (this is not the case). So, can I use a new iPod on older software? If not, do you have any suggestions on how I can deal with my Quicktime issue?
Unfortunately you will not be able to sync any current model iPods with versions of iTunes older than iTunes 9. As a rule, Apple only introduces support for new iPod models in the versions of iTunes that are released when those iPod models come out, and this even applies to firmware updates for the iPhone and iPod touch—iTunes 9 is also required for iPhone OS 3.1.
In terms of dealing with your Quicktime issue, your best option is to completely uninstall both iTunes and Quicktime from your computer via the “Add/Remove Programs” option in Windows and then reboot your computer and reinstall iTunes 9. You will not lose any of your iTunes content or settings by uninstalling iTunes as this only removes the application and not its data. If you want to be extra cautious, however, you can simply backup the “iTunes” folder from under your “My Music” folder before uninstalling iTunes. With both iTunes and Quicktime completely removed this should eliminate any errors from the iTunes installer about conflicts with existing versions of Quicktime.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!