Syncing selected music to iPad
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just purchased a new 64GB iPad. My iTunes library has over 100 GB and I want to know how to only transfer a specified amount of music to the iPad, but in a random fashion—I dont want to pick and choose which artists, but just use a random playlist of say 5 GB.
A: Firstly if you’re using higher bit-rate music and you’re willing to live with 128kbps AAC files on your iPad, then you may want to simply choose the option to convert those files to 128kbps AAC, as explained in the question above.
If your music is already 128kbps AAC, or you want to use higher bit-rate music on your iPad, then you will need to use the option to sync selected playlists and create a playlist of your music. For selecting random tracks, a Smart Playlist is the best option. Simply create a playlist that selects a certain amount of music, say 5GB, based on Random selection:
Without any additional criteria, however, you’ll find that the random selection is relatively static—once the playlist is generated the content doesn’t change unless you manually refresh it or add some additional criteria to cause it to remove or refresh tracks automatically. For instance, adding a criteria to remove recently-played tracks would cause those to be taken out of the playlist and replaced with new, random tracks.
Other criteria could be used to refine this further, such as keeping high-rated tracks in your playlist regardless of whether you had listened to them recently or not, while removing recently-played lower-rated tracks.
You can also choose to create multiple Smart Playlists to select different types of music and sync each of these individually with your iPad, allowing you to more easily keep music of different genres and other criteria on your iPad. The above are just some examples to get you started—the possibilities are vast and a bit of experimentation with Smart Playlist criteria should easily allow you to find a good mix of settings to store a good selection of music on your iPad.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- Report: Apple working on 4K for next-generation Apple TV
- Apple announces WWDC 2017
- Apple patent points to possible new Smart Keyboard with dedicated ‘Share’ and ‘Emoji’ keys
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10