Syncing selected music to iPad
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just purchased a new 64GB iPad. My iTunes library has over 100 GB and I want to know how to only transfer a specified amount of music to the iPad, but in a random fashion—I dont want to pick and choose which artists, but just use a random playlist of say 5 GB.
A: Firstly if you’re using higher bit-rate music and you’re willing to live with 128kbps AAC files on your iPad, then you may want to simply choose the option to convert those files to 128kbps AAC, as explained in the question above.
If your music is already 128kbps AAC, or you want to use higher bit-rate music on your iPad, then you will need to use the option to sync selected playlists and create a playlist of your music. For selecting random tracks, a Smart Playlist is the best option. Simply create a playlist that selects a certain amount of music, say 5GB, based on Random selection:
Without any additional criteria, however, you’ll find that the random selection is relatively static—once the playlist is generated the content doesn’t change unless you manually refresh it or add some additional criteria to cause it to remove or refresh tracks automatically. For instance, adding a criteria to remove recently-played tracks would cause those to be taken out of the playlist and replaced with new, random tracks.
Other criteria could be used to refine this further, such as keeping high-rated tracks in your playlist regardless of whether you had listened to them recently or not, while removing recently-played lower-rated tracks.
You can also choose to create multiple Smart Playlists to select different types of music and sync each of these individually with your iPad, allowing you to more easily keep music of different genres and other criteria on your iPad. The above are just some examples to get you started—the possibilities are vast and a bit of experimentation with Smart Playlist criteria should easily allow you to find a good mix of settings to store a good selection of music on your iPad.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple’s new ‘Echo rival’ may feature a camera
- Apple ‘working rapidly’ to extend Apple Pay to more countries
- Report: Apple’s Siri-based Amazon Echo competitor will be a new Apple TV
- Report: Apple SVP Eddy Cue proposed bid to buy Time Warner
- Beta testing for Pokémon GO begins in the U.S.
- Apple’s plan to open stores in India hits a snag (Update: India’s finance minister ratifies ruling)
- Apple looking into charging stations for electric cars
- Apple hires hint at improvements in encryption, health monitoring
- Hyundai adds CarPlay support to more vehicles
- Plaintiffs file new motion to keep ‘Error 53’ Touch ID lawsuit alive
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)