Syncing TV Shows by playlist
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I want to re-watch selected TV shows on the iPod that cover more than one season. How can I selectively add an episode without syncing the entire season which would cause me to run out of room?
A: There are a couple of ways you can go about this, depending on how you have your iTunes library set up and whether you want to watch these shows in order.
The most straightforward solution if you’re interested in re-watching an entire series from the beginning is to return to synchronizing your TV Shows by unwatched episodes, much like you may have done when you watched through the series the first time. In this case, you would simply go into iTunes and reset some or all of your TV Show episodes as unwatched by selecting the episodes in question, right-clicking and choosing Mark as New:
Once these episodes are marked as unwatched, you can simply control synchronization of them to your iPod, iPhone or Apple TV by using the “xx least recent unwatched” setting in iTunes.
Alternatively, if you would like more control over which shows get synchronized to your device, you can create playlists containing the specific episodes that you would like to sync, and then simply set your synchronization options to sync selected playlists, rather than selected shows.
To do this, first create a playlist or set of playlists containing the episodes that you would like to sync to your iPod, iPhone or Apple TV. You can either use a standard playlist and just add the individual episodes manually, or you can use a Smart Playlist to automatically select episodes based on criteria such as “Least Recently Watched.”
Once you have set up one or more playlists containing TV Show episodes, go to the “TV Shows” tab for your iPod or Apple TV (or “Videos” tab for the iPhone or iPod touch) and change the drop-down menu for “Selected TV Shows” to “Selected playlists”
The list of selected TV Shows will change to show a list of playlists which contain TV Show episodes. Simply select the appropriate playlists that you would like synchronized, ensuring the Sync option is set to “All” episodes, and iTunes will synchronize only the episodes contained in those selected playlists.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!