Syncing TV Shows by playlist
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I want to re-watch selected TV shows on the iPod that cover more than one season. How can I selectively add an episode without syncing the entire season which would cause me to run out of room?
A: There are a couple of ways you can go about this, depending on how you have your iTunes library set up and whether you want to watch these shows in order.
The most straightforward solution if you’re interested in re-watching an entire series from the beginning is to return to synchronizing your TV Shows by unwatched episodes, much like you may have done when you watched through the series the first time. In this case, you would simply go into iTunes and reset some or all of your TV Show episodes as unwatched by selecting the episodes in question, right-clicking and choosing Mark as New:
Once these episodes are marked as unwatched, you can simply control synchronization of them to your iPod, iPhone or Apple TV by using the “xx least recent unwatched” setting in iTunes.
Alternatively, if you would like more control over which shows get synchronized to your device, you can create playlists containing the specific episodes that you would like to sync, and then simply set your synchronization options to sync selected playlists, rather than selected shows.
To do this, first create a playlist or set of playlists containing the episodes that you would like to sync to your iPod, iPhone or Apple TV. You can either use a standard playlist and just add the individual episodes manually, or you can use a Smart Playlist to automatically select episodes based on criteria such as “Least Recently Watched.”
Once you have set up one or more playlists containing TV Show episodes, go to the “TV Shows” tab for your iPod or Apple TV (or “Videos” tab for the iPhone or iPod touch) and change the drop-down menu for “Selected TV Shows” to “Selected playlists”
The list of selected TV Shows will change to show a list of playlists which contain TV Show episodes. Simply select the appropriate playlists that you would like synchronized, ensuring the Sync option is set to “All” episodes, and iTunes will synchronize only the episodes contained in those selected playlists.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 10.1, tvOS 10.0.1, watchOS 3.1
- New details about Apple Watch Nike+ exclusives, availability
- Apple’s website hints at possible Apple Pay launch in Germany
- ConnectSense Smart Outlet adds power monitoring, reduces price
- Automatic releases new Automatic Lite version of car monitoring accessory
- Apple releases fourth tvOS 10.0.1 beta
- iOS dev finds unimplemented one-handed keyboard in iOS code
- Apple sends out press invites for ‘Hello Again’ Oct. 27 Mac event
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.1 to developers
- Apple partners with builders to include HomeKit-enabled devices in new homes
- Bowers & Wilkins P3 Series 2 Headphones
- Incase Icon, Pop, and Textured Snap for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature Headphones
- Tech Armor FlexProtect and Shock Flex for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- SwitchEasy Flash and Fleur for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Blue Microphones Raspberry Mobile Microphone
- Incipio Haven for iPhone 7 and Reprieve Sport for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mophie Hold Force Magnetic Case System for iPhone 7
- Speck Presidio and Tech21 Evo Tactical for iPhone 7
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps