Syncing videos to iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I received an iPod touch for Christmas. I used to have a 30GB video iPod and now I’m using the same iTunes and all my songs are on the new iPod touch but I can’t figure out how to get my movies and new applications on there. When I first hooked my iPod touch up to the computer it automatically created a new playlist for my iPod touch, and if I buy a song off iTunes I have to drag it to that specific playlist for it to be put on my iPod touch. However, my movies are in that playlist too, but they are not showing up on the actual iPod. Any help is appreciated.
A: It sounds like you may want to connect your iPod touch and take a closer look at the synchronization settings for it within iTunes itself to customized your preferences in a bit more detail.
To do this, connect the iPod touch to your computer, select it in the iTunes “Devices” list on the left-hand side of the iTunes window, and you should see a Summary screen appear, with tabs across the top for the different categories of content that you can sync to your iPod touch.
If you have an iTunes library larger than the capacity of your iPod, then when you connect a new iPod, iTunes will offer to automatically create a static playlist of content to fit on your iPod, and automatically set your iPod to only sync that specific playlist. However, this playlist is only set to synchronize under the “Music” options, which means that any videos or other types of content stored in this playlist will not be synchronized to your iPod.
To change these settings, simply look at the appropriate tabs within iTunes while your iPod is connected. You can select additional playlists for synchronization on the “Music” tab for instance if you want to customize your content further. For instance, selecting the “Purchased” playlist for synchronization would automatically sync all of your purchased tracks to your iPod touch without having to manually add them to your iPod touch playlist.
To synchronize movies and TV shows to your iPod touch, you must choose the “Movies” and “TV Shows” tabs and configure the appropriate settings from there. TV Shows can be synced either by series or by playlist, while Movies must be selected individually for synchronization to your device. Likewise, the applications which sync to your iPod touch are selected individually from the “Applications” tab. Once application synchronization is enabled, any new applications you download are automatically added to your iPod touch during the next sync unless you specifically DE-select them for synchronization on the “Applications” tab for your iPod touch within iTunes.
For more information on managing and syncing video content on your iPod touch, be sure to read our Complete Guide to Managing iTunes Videos.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Instagram 9.2 update for iOS includes pinch-to-zoom on photos and videos
- Judge dismisses key claims of Monster’s case against Beats over Apple deal
- Apple adds 2TB iCloud storage option
- Spec sheet shows Lightning EarPods, Lightning headphone adapter packed in with 256GB iPhone 7 Plus
- Papa John’s releases pizza-ordering app for Apple TV
- Apple call Australian banks’ request a ‘detriment to consumers’
- EU determines Apple should pay 13 billion euros in back taxes to Ireland; Apple plans appeal
- SIM tray photos hint at alleged ‘gloss black’ iPhone color
- Trademark filings hint at wireless EarPods, two new Apple Watch models
- Report: EU to rule against Apple-Ireland tax deals, recommend Apple pay 1B+ Euros
- Kanex GoPower Watch Portable Battery for Apple Watch
- Nuvyyo Tablo Over-the-Air Television DVR
- Belkin PowerHouse Charge Dock for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Western Digital My Cloud (OS 3)
- Distil Union Stanley Stand
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app