Tagging multiple video tracks
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’ve searched through the iLounge discussion forums, but thus far can’t find any way to change the ‘video’ tags on multiple items. Individually, when you get an item’s info in iTunes, it’s possible to change a video file from a ‘Movie’ to a ‘TV show’ and to enter all the details associated with this: e.g. Show, Season no., etc. However, once multiple items are selected, no video tags are available for mass change.
For example, I have a load of Simpsons episodes, divided according to season, etc. The only way I’ve been able to get them properly organized thus far is by editing each item individually—a lengthy and time-consuming process. Surely there’s got to be an easier way???
A: Rather oddly, the ability to edit the video-related tags for multiple items is a feature that iTunes itself does not presently offer. In fact, if you go back to iTunes 6, you’ll find that you can’t edit the video tag information at all, so at least some progress has been made in this regard in iTunes 7, and we can only hope that a future version of iTunes will include this missing capability.
In the meantime, however, there are a few third-party tools that can handle batch tagging for you. Most of these are based on the AtomicParsley project, and if you’re comfortable working with command-line tools, you can actually just go out and get AtomicParsley (free, Mac/Windows, http://atomicparsley.sourceforge.net) and use that directly.
If you prefer to work with a more graphical interface, Lostify (free, Mac, http://lowellstewart.com/lostify) or TV Tagger (free, Windows, http://tvtagger.wordpress.com) are very good options in this regard.
These are discussed in more detail in our Complete Guide to Managing iTunes Videos, which also goes into a fair bit of additional detail on the best options for tagging TV Show and other video content to ensure that it is organized and synchronized properly.
One important thing to keep in mind when using third-party tools is that these are designed to modify the tags within the files themselves, rather than the iTunes database. Therefore, your changes may not be immediately reflected in iTunes until you actually select the tracks in question to force iTunes to re-read the information. Depending on the tags being modified, this may simply involve manually clicking on each track, or you may have to go into the properties of each track (using File, Get Info) to force iTunes to re-read the metadata from within the files. For this reason, you should ideally perform any tagging of your video content before importing it into iTunes.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- WSJ: Apple brings in trusted executive Mansfield to head Apple Car project
- CarPlay to be available in all 2017 Ford models
- Rumors claim new iPhone will be released Sept. 16, could have ‘iPhone 6 SE’ name
- Photos claim to show alleged ‘iPad Pro 2’
- Apple to sell limited-edition Olympic Apple Watch bands exclusively in Brazil
- Report: iPhone 7 will include Lightning adapter instead of Lightning EarPods
- Edward Snowden designing device to prevent iPhone wiretapping
- Report: Apple Car team running into challenges, launch may slip to 2021
- Corning announces Gorilla Glass 5
- Apple under fire for providing refurbished replacements under AppleCare+
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Invoxia Voice Bridge
- Incase Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app