Tagging Songs in iTunes | iLounge Article

Article

Tagging Songs in iTunes

March 30, 2004
By Jerrod H.

“Tags” are embedded in audio files, and include information such as Artist, Title, Album, Release Date, and Genre—much more than a filename could contain.

Anyone who has a large collection of digital music understands the importance of and value in maintaining a correct and complete set of tags for their music.  This is especially true for iPod users, as tags are the only means by which the iPod and iTunes understand how to categorize your music.

As we discussed in a previous iPod 101 article, the Gracenote CDDB online database makes tagging extremely easy for most users importing CDs.  However, CDDB is a user-filled database, so frequently, the tag information downloaded from CDDB has misspellings, errors, or simply doesn’t come “the way you’d like it.”  Sometimes, CDDB won’t even have information for the CD you’re importing.  Also, for users who acquire their songs through “shady” means, the tag information is hardly ever complete and accurate, if present at all.

iLounge is here to help.

Tagging one track at a time:

iTunes offers several ways to correct or add a tag to one file.

First, try selecting any song in your iTunes library.  (This tip also works from within any playlist!)  Next, click once on the tag that you want to change.  The tag will change to a text entry field.  (See screenshot below).  Type your correction or addition, and hit enter.

pic

This method is quick and easy for the occasional tag fix, but you may encounter a problem when using this method—often, all fields are not displayed in the iTunes library or in a playlist… Sometimes the column you want to change is hidden.

To edit a tag in a hidden column, you need to open the track’s “Get Info” window.  To do so, right click (or Command-click on a Mac) on the track, and go to “Get Info.”  The window shown below will open, and you may edit any of the attributes shown.

pic

Tagging multiple tracks with common information:

The methods shown above are fine for fixing spelling or making other corrections on any one song at a time, but they are quite tedious when filling tags for many tracks at a time.  Often, the process can be simplified by tagging in groups - one for each album.  Usually, tracks on an album have a common genre, artist, comment, year, and release date.  Why enter them all in over and over?  You don’t have to.

To edit many similar tracks at once, begin by selecting the group of tracks in your library.  (Select the first song with a single click.  Hold down “Shift” and click the last song).  See below:

pic

Next, right click (command-click for Mac) on any one of the tracks, and go to “Get Info” as we did for a single track.  The following window will appear:

pic

Any changes that you make here will be applied to all of the selected tracks.  When you click O.K., the only changes that will be applied to all tracks will be those fields that have their check box selected.  In the example above, the Artist, Year, Genre, Album, and total disc and track numbers will be written to all 12 tracks.  Song ratings, for example, will not be overwritten, as the My Ratings checkbox is unchecked.

Click O.K. to finalize changes.

We highly recommend ensuring that all of your tags are complete and accurate… It may take a lot of time and labor, but it will make your iPod experience much more enjoyable!

Notes and Tips:

The “Part of a Compilation” checkbox in the “Get Info” window allows you to tell iTunes whether it should store the audio files on your hard drive according to the Artist title, or group the tracks according to their Album name in the “Compilations” folder.  It is a good idea to enable this option for any CD in which the Artist is not the same for each track, but it is certainly not required.

If you are finding that some of your longer tags (i.e. long track titles) are being truncated, you’re probably using an old ID3 format.  Use iTunes’ “Convert ID3 Tags” feature in the “Advanced” menu to update the tracks to the latest ID3 format (v2.4).

For Windows users who want more audio tagging features than iTunes offers, we recommend Tag&Rename.

Jerrod H. is a Forum Administrator and Contributing Editor for iLounge.

« Adding album art in iTunes

Heir to Walkman’s Throne »

Comments

Maybe you could add the useful shortcut of Cntrl + I (for windows) for tagging things such as genre or entire artists.

Comes in handy especially for genre renaming or adding comments for smart lists!

Posted by Anh Han on March 30, 2004 at 6:27 AM (CST)

Not the best software, but it’s freeware

It will ID3 tag MP3’s based on their name. Great way to do entire collections of songs. I used it on all my MP3 that I ripped before programs that did the tagging for you came around.

Posted by Shawn on March 30, 2004 at 8:40 AM (CST)

Now that they’ve added the Grouping field, I’ve started using that to group songs for dynamic playlists.  For example, one of my songs that belongs in both Oldies and Instrumental playslists has “Oldies Instrumental” as its Grouping.  Then, I have one auto-generating playlist called “Oldies” that just looks for the word “Oldies” in Grouping, and one called “Instrumental” that looks for the word “Instrumental”.  That way, if it were to get removed from my library for some reason, I just have to add the song again, and it will show up in the playlists automatically.

Posted by Matt on March 30, 2004 at 9:28 AM (CST)

anyone know of a good app that will allow you to have your mp3 library connect to the ccdb for tagging?

Posted by Joe on March 30, 2004 at 10:21 AM (CST)

Do a google search for Tag & Raname - it’ll do almost anything you want, tagging wise..

Posted by pat on March 30, 2004 at 10:23 AM (CST)

Are the items in the “summary” tab in the tags?  I kind of mind having the image, but all these iTunes Pespi downloads now have my email address and name associated with them.  I assume if they get converted and burnt to a CD that information goes away, but still - it’s a little disconcerting to have my personal information associated with a song.

Posted by Nigel Mellish on March 30, 2004 at 11:47 AM (CST)

Check out IEatBrainz (Mac) and the MusicBrainz tagger (Windows) from www.musicbrainz.org It figures out what song each track is, even if you don’t know the artist or the right name, and will re-tag the selected files with the right information. You can add stuff to their database and make corrections to other people’s additions. It’s a really neat resource.

Posted by kostia on March 30, 2004 at 12:51 PM (CST)

Now, don’t ignore me because I’m a Windows user - I still love the mini iPod.

I’ve just spent the last 3 hours using the eval of Tag&Rename; (http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm) and it is excellent.
Not only does it generate tags from filenames (you can even set up multiple mask editors if your collections don’t have consistent file naming conventions), but you can also reverse engineer the tags onto the filenames, as well as batch up whole albums or artists.

It is also very fast, and seems pretty reliable so far.

I much prefer this to the iTunes library editor, mainly because it edits the actual tags, not just the pointer to the file (unless I’m missing the point here) - which is useful for me for moving the files around from one computer to another (NOT sharing of course! all for my own use).

Posted by badger on March 30, 2004 at 2:47 PM (CST)

Itunes edits the tags and the pointers. Unless the files you are editing are WAV’s. In that case it only edits the pointer.

Posted by br-- on March 30, 2004 at 5:44 PM (CST)

MusicMatch has “Super Tagging” than gets all the info you need, including the picture of the album cover, directly from the internet. I strongly Recommend this software to anyone.

Posted by ARES on March 30, 2004 at 6:23 PM (CST)

Media Center combines all the excellent tagging and rename abilities of Tag&Rename; with all the “Super Tagging” name+album art grabbing of MusicMatch.

Of course, you do have to pay to use it and all the extra features, but it’s worth every cent.

Posted by Super Duper Tagging on March 30, 2004 at 6:27 PM (CST)

I would be interested in thoughts on the current competition from Cowon. the iAudio M3 looks pretty cool.

www.mp3-plus.net

Posted by tim on March 31, 2004 at 3:56 AM (CST)

Is there a way to transfer EQ settings from iTunes (PC) to your iPod ?  I haven’t found jack on this topic and I might be missing something obvious, but I have asked friends and they do not know.

Posted by Doug on March 31, 2004 at 10:09 AM (CST)

I’ve retagged a bunch my tracks using music match.  My question is, how do I get itune (for windows) to refresh its display and update its information based on the new tags (so they get propogated on the next ipod sync).  I can refresh one track at a time with get info, but couldn’t seem to find a way to do multiple tracks at a time.

Posted by Jason on March 31, 2004 at 10:09 AM (CST)

The way I use to force iTunes to refresh is to select all the songs and tell it to Get Info. Then I hit ok without changing anything.

Posted by inversed on March 31, 2004 at 11:30 AM (CST)

Best tagger I’ve ever run into and, for that matter, a program I use often is MP3BookHelper.  Check it out all it’s the only software you’ll ever need to deal with complicated tagging situations.  Tight program.  Find it here free and full featured:

Posted by Weepy on March 31, 2004 at 12:03 PM (CST)

Is there a keyboard equivalent to jump to another cell? Say you’ve got a custom mix CD you made and you want to add the track names, it’s a pain to click-pause-click every track to rename them….tab doesn’t work, nor does any of the shift/crtl/alt+arrow keys.

Posted by sniglet on March 31, 2004 at 2:37 PM (CST)

I just want to second Weepy. MP3BookHelper is the most powerful tagger ever. And it’s free!! It may take a short while to get used to, but you’ll love it once you get to know it. Two thumbs up!

Posted by Hoss in Oslo, Norway on April 1, 2004 at 2:56 AM (CST)

Posted by chavo on April 1, 2004 at 11:55 AM (CST)

>I use .wavs which you can’t tag. I have a nightmare organizing songs on my ipod. <

you use .wav’s ...so your telling me you have 8 songs on your 40 gb ipod???

Posted by rivlinm on April 2, 2004 at 11:13 PM (CST)

lol. You realize you can convert them to at least .mp3 from within iTunes, right?

Posted by Mike on April 3, 2004 at 11:41 AM (CST)

Or just use AAC right away…

“the latest ID3 format (v2.3).”

Latest is v2.4..

Posted by FRed on April 3, 2004 at 1:36 PM (CST)

I think i tunes is lacking in the tagging department big time.
I have about 1000 songs on my ipod with no tags, they all from different albums. I have dragged the songs directly from ipod into the dr. tag software witch automatically generates the tags. however ipod does not update the changes and if i drag an updated track from my hard drive to ipod i get 2 versions and have to manually delete the old one. If only i could use an auto generate tag based on filename from within itunes i would be sorted.

Any suggestions anyone?

Posted by peter on April 6, 2004 at 6:05 AM (CDT)

“Any suggestions anyone?”

Use one of the programs mentioned above - Tag&Rename; or Media Center. They let you specify filename templates to grab tags from. You can make as many filename->tag templates as you need.

Adterwards, when yor files are all tagged, you can specify a reverse process using any format you want to rename some or all of the files into a common format using some or all of your tag information.

With a standardized naming system for the files retagging or re-reading them will always be quicker and easier.

Posted by Auto Tagging on April 6, 2004 at 9:30 AM (CDT)

Hello Everyone,
Could someone please asssit in explaining how I could convert an acc format to mp3 after i purchase a song from itunes? Since I am a senior citizen, I do not consider myself too experienced when it comes to things of this sort, but i did access “preferences” which has a field to
convert to mp3, however for some unknown reason i’m unable to accomplish the conversion. Any help to overcome this problem would be greatly appreciated. By the way i have a pc. Thks Tony

Posted by Tony on April 7, 2004 at 5:37 AM (CDT)

“Hello Everyone”

The ACCs that you download from itunes are protected, so you won’t be able to convert them directy to MP3s.  The only way I know of to get around this is to burn a CD with the ACC files.  This process converts them to WAV files.  You can then import the songs back into itunes, this time as MP3s.  You will probably lose some sound quality, but if this is not an issue, give this a try.

Posted by David on April 7, 2004 at 2:01 PM (CDT)

Fred,

I use an external MP3 tagging program, if I simply close and open iTunes, or play the song it should update the tags in iTunes.

Posted by PPGMD on April 7, 2004 at 4:26 PM (CDT)

“The ACCs that you download from itunes are protected, so you won’t be able to convert them directy to MP3s.”

No, there are two ways to create perfect quality MP3s from AACs without being forced to burn silly plastic discs:

DVDJon Approach - uses Quicktime

Play Fair Approach - uses streaming

Posted by Converting AACs on April 7, 2004 at 5:33 PM (CDT)

Hello everyone, I have seen some AppleScripts that allow deleting of multiples of songs in the iTunes library and read that they work well, however I am a WinXP user and was wondering if anybody had seen any scripts or even other programs that will delete multiple files (based on the ID3 tags being identical) for XP? Any response would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by Tim on April 12, 2004 at 8:36 AM (CDT)

i am going to buy i ipod (need money) but to get to grips with the itunes software i downloaded it. when i loaded my mp3 collection on to itunes i was surprised to discover that some of my mp3 files have incomplete mp3 tags on them. i am worried that when i get my ipod it will not display the full tag information. please help thanks

Posted by devs on April 12, 2004 at 4:30 PM (CDT)

You’re right; if you don’t have full tags, your iPod won’t display them.  But don’t worry—this thread gives lots of information on how to make sure those tags are complete BEFORE you drop ‘em on your iPod.

Posted by John Robinson on April 16, 2004 at 10:06 AM (CDT)

I have a few questions, and although I am a windows user, I hope someone might offer some tips.

1. When I rate my songs with Star Ratings - is this information saves in Itunes? Or directly in the song?
IE. If I were to delete my I-tunes program, then re-map all the same songs in a “newly installed” I-tunes. Would I still have this information? If no - is there a way to store that info directly in the mP3?

2. Is there a way of creating sub-playlists? Ex. Have a playlist called Jazz, and then have more playlists “under it/inside it” - ie. A) Nat King Cole B) 30s C) Forreign ETc?

4. Can I use scripts even if I use I-tunes for windows? Can I use all scripts, or just scripts written for windows?

5. I have 100s of multiple songs - is there a way of easily finding multiple versions of a song? Right now I am sorting by time and then going through. But I will never get to the end of it. I have too many songs, so I need to find a way of automating it.

Anyone who can offer any assistance on these questions, I greatly appreaciate!

Posted by Raff on April 20, 2004 at 12:20 PM (CDT)

Is there a Mac equivilant for Tag&Rename; or MP3BookHelper?  Something that works right off of the CDDB?

Posted by ToddAC on April 28, 2004 at 1:57 PM (CDT)

Creating a New Genre???

Hi, how can I create new genres? All I can down at the moment is select from a list. I’ve got my CD collection to import so don’t really fancy having to go back on it…

(Using latest iTunes on Windows XP)

Posted by Seb on April 29, 2004 at 2:29 PM (CDT)

Creating a New Genre???

(Using latest iTunes on Windows XP)

Posted by Seb on April 29, 2004 at 2:33 PM (CDT)

“Is there a way of creating sub-playlists? Ex. Have a playlist called Jazz, and then have more playlists “under it/inside it” - ie. A) Nat King Cole B) 30s C) Forreign ETc?”

You need Media Center. You can define SmartLists that take Playlists as members, then do searches on them and produce sub-sets.

And of course, you can define any new field entries for tags (so make up your own genres), or define any number of entirely new tags and fill them with whatever you want.

Posted by Better Tagging on April 29, 2004 at 3:01 PM (CDT)

Maybe you should use a different band in the article because the music store doesnt even offer Dave Matthews Band.

Posted by Cory on May 2, 2004 at 12:58 PM (CDT)

SEB- just right click on the song or songs and go to info and type in your own genre (DONT CLICK THE ARROW FOR THE PULL DOWN LIST!)

Posted by Cory on May 2, 2004 at 1:00 PM (CDT)

Posted by A on May 4, 2004 at 11:21 AM (CDT)

Hey all,
When I get new MP3s, I like to preview them & make corrections (name, tag info, etc) before I enter them into my library.

How can I open & work with the new MP3s while keeping them isolated from my library until I’m ready?

Thanks!

Posted by dav on May 6, 2004 at 1:29 PM (CDT)

Can I connect 2 iPods to the same PC and have 2 different list s of songs on each?

Posted by Tom on May 7, 2004 at 12:40 AM (CDT)

Question for some IPod veterans out there:  I want to format my 30GB for Macs. I’ve extracted all the songs and am ready to initialize my beloved Ipod for Macs. But I really hate crappy ID tags, and was wondering if anyone who had been through this had any suggestions or advice. Please let me know, and thanks in advance for any help….

Posted by mista_c on May 11, 2004 at 3:22 PM (CDT)

I am spending quite a while rating my songs.
As I understand it, these ratings do not actually register in the tag.
Does anyone know a way of having these ratings “transferred” to the actual tag so that another MP3 program can also “read” the ratings?
Thanks

Posted by Heia Norge on May 15, 2004 at 9:37 PM (CDT)

“As I understand it, these ratings do not actually register in the tag.
Does anyone know a way of having these ratings “transferred” to the actual tag”

Use Media Center. You can hard-embed any tags or ratings (either pre-defined or user-defined) within the files.

I don’t think iTunes offers the same flexibility or customization.

Posted by Embedding Tags on May 17, 2004 at 1:29 PM (CDT)

Although there are all those fancy tag editors out there that will do them 1000 at a time theres still nothing more thurough than jut going thru them all im winamp.  If you just tag them as you get them then youl have no problems.

Posted by Deathscythe on May 17, 2004 at 9:11 PM (CDT)

No doubt this has a stupidly simple answer, but please help if you can.  Having copied a CD to my harddrive (using itunes) I cannot get the CDDB to auto tag the tracks.  I have tried “get Info”, but a warning appears on my screen telling me to check my Internet connection (which is perfectly fine).  When I first used my Ipod (2 weeks ago) I had no problem, but this is now driving me mad.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Marc

Posted by BigMarc in LONDON on May 20, 2004 at 9:53 AM (CDT)

Does anyone know how to remove custom genres in iTunes? I inadvertently created duplicates and cannot figure out how to take them out. It’s causing a bit of trouble when browsing by genre on the iPod.

Posted by danno on May 22, 2004 at 3:29 PM (CDT)

random question

how can i get certain songs from my library
to it’s own playlist?

Posted by Otis on May 26, 2004 at 9:17 AM (CDT)

Hi guys!
I’m working hard on my beloved “ritfw” i pod, but need help from ya all. I use the wonderful program “eupod volumeboost” program (downloaded here! check it up) to boost volume and save battery. From this release anyway, to volumeboost i needed to de-sincronize i-pod and i-tunes. Now, if i just correct some tags (or vote), updating i-pod makes i-tunes copy again all the track instead of correcting just i-pod tags. If i sincronize it again, i-tunes re-update all i-pod songs! Is there a way to correct (non manually) tags from i-tunes to i-pod without having another copy of each track on my pod? please help me!!! answer quick! i’m getting crazy: volumeboost is essential for battery to last, but having i-pod sincronized again would be fantastic (but if i do it… no more volume boosting!) sigh

Posted by Enrico on May 29, 2004 at 5:05 AM (CDT)

This is a tagger program that i use. It is for PC and it can also rename the file not just the tags. very powerful but it might take a little getting use to.  http://xdev.narod.ru/tagscan_e.htm

Posted by Uncreative on June 3, 2004 at 10:03 PM (CDT)

Oh. My. God.

Here I’ve been, tagging my library one by one. I should be shot.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!

Posted by D on June 4, 2004 at 6:05 AM (CDT)

is there program that automatically tags your library for u in windows

Posted by stupid ?s on June 6, 2004 at 3:02 PM (CDT)

Hi

Anybody know if there is a way of excluding artists from the artist browse list in iTunes / iPod?  Basically, I have got loads of compilations on there and I am fed up of having to scroll down a huge list of artists, or selecting an artist only to find that there is one song listed.  I thought about renaming the artist field data to the same as the album, though I’d prefer not to do this as I’d still like to know who the artist is if playing the compilation.  Is there anyway you could just ensure that artists are not displayed if the ‘compilation’ option is checked?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

Posted by Emma on June 8, 2004 at 7:13 AM (CDT)

Any one know how to get the BMP (Beats per Minute) or do you hvae to calculate that yourself <yawn>?

Posted by chuck D on August 24, 2004 at 8:43 AM (CDT)

For ‘Super Duper Tagger’

I am a Media Center 9 user, though now that I’ve upgraded my G2 to a G4 I’ve been using iTunes to sync with the ipod. I prefer MC9 for ripping and organizing/tagging.

My question is - how to get the changes/additions made to the library in MC9 into iTunes?

Recently I ripped a bunch of CD’s (using MC9) then in iTunes ‘added the folders’ ... is there a better way?

And, when I tweak the organization, changing and/or adding tags - what’s the best way to get these changes seen in iTunes (saw the ‘get Info’ tip earlier - is this the way?).

Hope you (or anyone else w/MC9 experience) see this -  thanks.

Posted by Ruth on August 28, 2004 at 10:24 PM (CDT)

“Any one know how to get the BMP (Beats per Minute) or do you hvae to calculate that yourself”

If you use something like Media Center then you can let it run an auto BPM scan and insert it into a BPM field.

I usually let it run and move the results into a custom “BPM - Auto” field, then create my own “BPM - Exact” field for entering my own definitive results.

Dunnoe about integrating Media Center and iTunes, sorry. I’ve heard there’s a new Media Center 10 out (haven’t tried it) but maybe that can access the iTunes metabase?

Posted by bpm mpb on August 29, 2004 at 9:52 AM (CDT)

Hi,
Currently travelling India without my PC (without my music library). Need a way to update my ID3 tags from CDDB directly to the iPod. How do I do this ?

Thanx

Posted by PLG on October 17, 2004 at 7:39 AM (CDT)

I am having problems with getting the CDDB to grab my song info for me (while I am online). I get an error message that tells me to check my internet connection (which is fine) and configurations. I don’t know what configurations to check and the weird thing is, this feature was working fine before. It is very annoying. Has anyone had this happen and been able to fix it? Please help!

Posted by alison on October 23, 2004 at 11:57 AM (CDT)

I am having trouble with burning songs to a CD from iTunes. When I try to burn them to a disk to play in my car it won’t work. Do I need to convert them or what do I need to do?  Please, any suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks!

Posted by Joe on October 29, 2004 at 10:12 PM (CDT)

can anyone answer that??

Posted by rizk on November 16, 2004 at 8:37 AM (CST)

““WHat is the deal with you go to get info and everything is grey and it won’t let you change the tag?

can anyone answer that??”“

rizk, your source file is read only. Just go into that file and uncheck the box in properties

Posted by freakydonkey on December 22, 2004 at 4:44 PM (CST)

I use Tag@Rename to tag my files but when I copy them into iTunes the tags aren’t as they should be in. It only seems to happen on the compilation albums. Specifically, the “artist” field in iTunes says “Various Artists” but in Tag&Rename; the artist field lists the individual artist for each song. Does anyone know how I can correct this so iTunes also shows the individual artist for each song?  I don’t know if its something I’m doing wrong in Tag&Rename; or in iTunes?  thx.

Posted by th3sp3ck on December 30, 2004 at 10:50 AM (CST)

“WHat is the deal with you go to get info and everything is grey and it won’t let you change the tag?”

You’re actual song file is checked as ‘read-only’

To solve this choose the song with-in your itunes library, go to File>Show Song File.

This shows you where on your computer itunes is storing the actual file of the song.

Once you click on the song file go to File>Properits and under attributes uncheck the ‘read-only’ box.

Posted by parweya on January 19, 2005 at 4:28 PM (CST)

Here’s the deal. you’re actual song files, where ever they maybe located on your computer are checked as ‘read-only’ files.

Find the song file - probably in your itunes music folder. but if you can’t find it - click on the song while in itues and choose File>Show Song File.

The click on the actual song file. Choose File>Properties and then there under the attributes unclick the ‘read-only’ box.

You can choose mutiple song files and unclick this box all at once to save time.

Posted by parweya on January 19, 2005 at 4:37 PM (CST)

Ok, HUGE problem.  I downloaded Tag&Rename; and started to tag music FROM the iPod.  Again, this is straight from the iPod.  Now everything I’ve tagged (easily a couple hundred songs - all AAC I think) will not play on the iPod.  I’ve had to manually start replacing the AAC files with mp3 copies of itself and it’s a huge pain in the arse.  Anyone know of an easier way to correct this?  Or at least know what I’m talking about?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by lango13 on January 23, 2005 at 10:23 AM (CST)

Hi, I just bought a iPod today, and something is bugging me…maybe there is a simple solution?... When you tag tracks in iTunes as being Part of a Compilation, they appear under the Artist as ‘Compilation’ in iTunes… but when the same tracks are transferred to the iPod, they appear as individual artists, not under ‘Compilation’ ... is there a simple way to get these to appear under Compilation on the iPod??

Posted by todg in Australia on January 28, 2005 at 4:22 AM (CST)

I currently use MediaMonkey.

The naming convention I use for filenames is:

artist - track title - album

Then I tag the track based on the filename.  When I import my library into iTunes only 90% of the tracks are accurately tagged.

Is there a tagging program I can use so when I import songs into iTunes the track info will be 100% accurate?  If so, what settings should I change in iTunes before I import my music folder?

Posted by wbucklan on April 25, 2005 at 1:47 AM (CDT)

Is there any way to access the “comments” in a tag, on iPod itself, while the song is “now playing”? I listen to older jazz, and would like to be reminded of the order of soloists, which I can put in “comments”. I would have thought there’d be, for instance, a top level menu item like “comments” that would apply to “now playing” and display on the iPod screen, but there doesn’t seem to be one. Any ideas on how to get the job done (besides making up a “notes” item for each of all the thousands of songs!)?

Posted by bill cadbury in eugene, oregon on May 7, 2005 at 2:07 PM (CDT)

Hello to all, I am having a problem with tagging songs, if some could help I would be very greatful. I have mutiple songs from the same artist, but when I click on the artist’s name only one song will come up. Not all of the files are doing this just a couple. By the way I am using itunes software and have a P.C., if that matters.
thanx for any input.
Sean

Posted by UKisME on February 6, 2006 at 1:55 PM (CST)

What is the correct separator character to use for the artist and composer field so that iTunes and iPod recognise each individual name instead of a string of text? I’ve tried /\; and,. I’d like to be able to select a composer on my iPod and have it play all the songs that that composer has written.

Posted by JonEric on January 31, 2007 at 1:25 PM (CST)

Good Evening,

I have already change all the tags fields but how can i synchonize the updated field into the library with the original file?

Because, the tag fields of the mp3 files into the itunes library are OK. no problem with that. when i check the original file (from the directory where it comes from) the tag is unchanged.

is there any possibility to change the tag to the original file too?

Posted by sotos on May 19, 2007 at 2:14 PM (CDT)

Hi All-

If you’re interested in being able to quickly add text tags to your music I have a small utility for iTunes (Windows only right now) that I’ve built.  It’s called Tweet and it’s a small application that sits in your task tray and allows you to tag the playing track (it saves the tags in the song’s “Comment” meta-data field). It will cache tags you’ve already added and has type-ahead suggestions and tag clouds for even easier tag entry.  It’s in beta but it’s stable.  I would love to hear any feedback or suggestions.

It’s free and can be downloaded at http://www.tweetweb.com/

Thanks!

Posted by jake_tweet on January 15, 2008 at 2:12 AM (CST)

There’s a lot of good mp3 tag editors now a days.. One of my favorite is THEGODFATHER works great but there are some slight things you gotta learn so test it on a backup copy folder of songs first before you go and 1-click-rename your whole library because it’s very powerful.

Posted by Blur on June 16, 2008 at 5:23 PM (CDT)

Grey iTunes “get info” problem.  I have read the uncheck read only suggestion above.  However, the songs file properties are not checked read only. I have compared the information in all the fields of the actual file properties with one that isnt grey and they are all identical.  Any suggestions please?

Posted by ianm on April 10, 2009 at 1:01 AM (CDT)

ianm #74 - I had same problem. Solved it using mp3tag freeware to edit tags. Had to copy files to a thumb drive before software would let me edit, then copy them back to my itunes music library - not sure why. Obviously I then had to ‘add folder to library’ before they showed up in itunes.

Posted by Tim Gill on January 23, 2010 at 10:47 AM (CST)

how to edit the copyrights in the details of the song

Posted by tejeswar on December 27, 2010 at 7:04 AM (CST)