Tagging TV Shows
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just bought a iPod classic 80 GB and I converted some Family Guy episodes. I was wondering how do I put the episode into a video category or a TV category instead of them always showing up in my movies category. I was also wondering how I could group the episodes into each season, just to keep the iPod menu nice and organzied.
A: Most of the video options can be set for a given track directly in iTunes by selecting the video track, choosing File, Get Info and selecting the Video tab:
From this tab, you can change the category to “TV Show” and fill in information on the Show/series name (ie, “Family Guy”), as well as season number, and episode ID and episode number information. iTunes will then re-categorize the videos as TV Shows, and they will show up in the appropriate location in iTunes and on the iPod.
Once you have categorized items as TV Shows, you will also want to check your iTunes sync settings for your iPod, to ensure that you are transferring the TV Shows and episodes that you wish to have on your iPod.
It should be noted that iTunes defaults to only transferring unwatched TV shows, based on play count, so anything you’ve already watched will not be transferred to your iPod unless you change this setting. Further, with this setting, shows you watch on your iPod will be automatically removed during the next synchronization with iTunes.
Another important limitation of iTunes 7 is that there is presently no way to change the video settings for multiple items at once—it is a track-by-track process at this point. There are third-party tools that can assist with this process if you have a lot of episodes to tag.
For more information on tagging and organizing video content in iTunes, check out our tutorial, The Complete Guide to Managing iTunes Videos.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- Apple reveals(RED) iPhone 7, 7 Plus models, doubles storage of iPhone SE
- Apple drops 32GB iPad mini 4, reduces price of 128GB model and discontinues iPad mini 2
- Apple unveils new upgraded entry-level 9.7” iPad, replacing iPad Air 2
- Apple Store going down for ‘maintenance’ tomorrow morning, sparking rumors of product launch
- Politicians in New Zealand raise alarm about Apple’s tax arrangements
- Fabricate announces Nearbuds for AirPods
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10