Tagging TV Shows
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just bought a iPod classic 80 GB and I converted some Family Guy episodes. I was wondering how do I put the episode into a video category or a TV category instead of them always showing up in my movies category. I was also wondering how I could group the episodes into each season, just to keep the iPod menu nice and organzied.
A: Most of the video options can be set for a given track directly in iTunes by selecting the video track, choosing File, Get Info and selecting the Video tab:
From this tab, you can change the category to “TV Show” and fill in information on the Show/series name (ie, “Family Guy”), as well as season number, and episode ID and episode number information. iTunes will then re-categorize the videos as TV Shows, and they will show up in the appropriate location in iTunes and on the iPod.
Once you have categorized items as TV Shows, you will also want to check your iTunes sync settings for your iPod, to ensure that you are transferring the TV Shows and episodes that you wish to have on your iPod.
It should be noted that iTunes defaults to only transferring unwatched TV shows, based on play count, so anything you’ve already watched will not be transferred to your iPod unless you change this setting. Further, with this setting, shows you watch on your iPod will be automatically removed during the next synchronization with iTunes.
Another important limitation of iTunes 7 is that there is presently no way to change the video settings for multiple items at once—it is a track-by-track process at this point. There are third-party tools that can assist with this process if you have a lot of episodes to tag.
For more information on tagging and organizing video content in iTunes, check out our tutorial, The Complete Guide to Managing iTunes Videos.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!