Taking apart the iPod mini | iLounge Article

Article

Taking apart the iPod mini

Apple has crammed a lot of stuff into the anodized aluminum enclosure of the new iPod mini, and taking it apart is no easy task. I’m an industrial designer with lots of experience pulling back the curtain and meeting the wizard in PDAs, Mp3 players, stereos, watches and all sorts of other gear. I am usually pretty good at it, having not broken something in years (lots of bug hunts for tiny parts on the floor though). Except my brand-new iPod mini, where I screwed up big time… twice!

The Procedure:

Tools needed:
(1) Wiha 1.5mm flat head screwdriver
(1) Wiha Philips #000 screwdriver
(1) Needle nose pliers or medical (Kelly type) hemostats
(1) Hair dryer

To help illustrate my disassembly adventure, view the iPod mini autopsy photos and follow along.

To begin with, make sure the ‘Hold’ button is locked into the ON position (showing orange) to prevent the internal components to be turning on while you are taking it apart.

The plastic top and bottom plates are glued into place with a tacky adhesive that will soften considerably when heated so use the hair dryer on a low setting to heat up the top plate. Work the area until it’s very warm to the touch. Now turn the mini around so you’re looking at the Apple logo and squeeze the two rounded edges together at the top, causing the enclosure to bow a little bit in the middle. Insert the flat bladed screwdriver between the plastic and the metal (in line directly above the Apple logo) and gently pry the plate straight up. Work around the edges, leaving the area around the ‘Hold’ button till last. When you finally do get to the ‘Hold’ button area, pry carefully and pull the plate STRAIGHT up. Behind the ‘Hold’ button are two plastic standoffs (sort of like tabs) that extend down into the case and push the real switch on and off. If you pry the thing out at an angle, you will break one of these standoffs. That was mistake #1 for me. The actual ‘Hold’ switch soldiered onto the main board broke, so the ‘Hold’ switch no longer works.

Now perform the same procedure on the plastic bottom plate. When it is removed, you will see a shiny sheet-metal plate held in place under spring tension by 4 tabs inserted into reliefs machined into the enclosure. At the end of each of these tabs, you will see a round hole. Use the Philips #000 in these holes and carefully pry each tab out of its slot. The sheet-metal plate will come right out.

Next, you need to disconnect a ribbon cable that connects the scroll/click wheel assembly to the main baord. This ribbon cable is on the bottom of the mini on the left hand side. It is orange. You can’t miss it. Use the 1.5mm blade screwdriver to pry it apart. If there isn’t enough slack in the ribbon cable, don’t worry, as long as you get the connector loose, you have done your job here.

Turn the mini over, looking back into the top, you will see two tiny philips head screws on either side of another metal plate. Remove these with the #000 screwdriver carefully and put them in a safe place (don’t drop these on the floor, you will never see them again).

Now comes the fun part - gently push on the 30 pin connector at the bottom of the mini and all of the main components (on an assembly I call the component sled) will slide right out the top. It is a bit tight, but if you meet major resistance, back off and INSURE you have the ribbon cable disconnected. This is where I messed up and killed my iPod mini, I forgot to check and I pushed with all my might, ripping the ribbon cable off of the male connector. Oops.

The component sled contains nearly all of the iPod’s internals; the main circuit board, battery, LCD display and hard drive. While the LCD is held onto the ma inboard with 4 plastic tabs, the battery and HD are held in place simply by the tight packing within the enclosure. Feel free to disconnect the battery or remove the HD, they simply unplug from the main board. The LCD disconnects from the board easily, but the electrical connection is EXTREMELY delicate. I wouldn’t mess with it.

Looking through the bottom of the mini, you will see the scroll/click wheel assembly has a long black plastic tab that connects to another machined relief in the aluminum. You will need to use needle nose pliers or the hemostat to pull on this tab while depressing the Play/Pause button on the scroll/click wheel in order to remove the assembly. The problem is that you will probably scratch the scroll/click wheel when you remove and reinsert it. Then again, it IS on the face of the iPod, so it will probably end up getting a few scratches from everyday wear and tear…

Some Parts in Detail:

Enclosure: The enclosure is a single piece of extruded T6-6061 aluminum that has had some finish machining on the top and bottom. It has been Type II Class 1 anodized (for the silver models) and Type II Class 2 anodized for the colored models. This is a really excellent finish, though, having designed and manufactured lots of parts finished in the anodizing process, I can say the silvers will withstand slightly more abuse than the colored models. Also, I would keep the colored ones out of direct sunlight for extended periods of time as the dye used to color them has a tendency to break down over time (it takes a LOT of sunlight though, but I know a lot of iPod mini owners are probably outdoor types, so hence, the caution).

Also, there is a clear plastic window glued into place that protects the LCD screen. I have not been able to remove it as of yet…

Battery: The unit is manufactured by Sanyo and is marked as “Li-lon.” The model number is EC003. The excess wire coming off of it tells me that it is probably a complete off-the-shelf unit, and not something Apple had made just for the mini (if it was custom, there would be no excess wire).

Hard Disk Drive: Manufactured by Hitachi, it’s really very tiny. The model is HMS360404D5CF00. The part number is 13G1768. It is wrapped in electrical tape and when I removed it, there were 3 Delrin bumpers fitted around the corners. I was rather surprised to discover that the drive is actually a CF card! I tried to mount it in my Lexar FireWire CF Card Reader but with no luck. My Canon Digital Rebel didn’t recognize it either.

pic
Click photo for larger version

iPod mini autopsy. Clockwise from top - Hitachi 4GB Microdrive, Li-Ion battery pack, plastic top plate, two tiny screws, LCD display on main board (PortalPlayer chip under white label), anodized aluminum enclosure (Silver) and plastic bottom plate.

Conclusion:

Don’t take apart your new iPod mini. My excuse is that I am looking to start a service where you can have your case re-anodized in the color, colors or even images of your own choosing. I learned a lot taking this apart, and if I can only overcome the problem with the clear plastic window being glued into the enclosure, it might even be possible. We will see!

« iPod mini battery tests

How the iPod Ended the OS Wars »

Comments

Here is a handy link for ipods and accessories:

Posted by ipodlover on June 3, 2004 at 7:33 PM (CDT)

Hi, i see that you got the 4GB microdrive out… i was wondering if you tried formatting it on a PC platform and see if it can work for your digital camera

Posted by Joseph on June 4, 2004 at 4:21 AM (CDT)

I know the ipod has a really “cool” reputation, but here in the UK we tend to pay dollar prices in pounds! costing us almost twice as much as in the US, I’m contemplating a purchase of an ipod, probably the 20Gb version, my question is, “apart from being cool, is it worth the cash?” heard lots of reports of the battery giving up the ghost the day after the warranty runs out!....thanks..Pete

Posted by Pete Jones on June 6, 2004 at 11:04 AM (CDT)

I spent most of today dealing with the dissection of an Ipod mini I ‘borrwed’ and later returned to a local enconomy-ruining mega store.  It was quite the adventure, but nothing that a bit if care could not handle.  After removing the microdrive (and battery..lol)  the unit was reassembled and though a bit lighter, it was easily returned.  With the investment issue out of the way, and only for the good of all in need of this info, here are my findings…
I used a CFII reader in my machine with XP, and formatted the drive with FAT32…It worked well and allowed me to create and copy files that were then accessible on this removable drive.  I then installed it into my Sony F828, and got a CF error.  I then copied a complte memory stick onto this microdrive, and everything showed up on my xp machine.  I again tried it in the Sony, and same error.  Upon further research, I tend to agree wth a few postings I have read about this drive being modified specifically for the mini.  I am hoping in my continued research to have an answer if anything can be done to use Ipod Mini drives as camera memory…I will keep you all posted.  In the mean time, I have a very nice 4gb usb storage device…and a spare battery for my future mini…lol
I hope this sacrifice spares many minis….

Posted by CrazyC1 on June 6, 2004 at 10:01 PM (CDT)

hey does any1 kno how 2 to, or does iPod allow u 2 download data on 2 it n use it like a storage device(like a an external drive???) juz got it n wanna kno

thanx y’all:)

Posted by ipod boi on June 8, 2004 at 3:38 AM (CDT)

Hello,
I have a first gen. ipod and it took a dive the other night. It shows the apple and thats it. I can’t get the computer to read it (Win XP) and not sure what else to do. I’ve tried re-setting it, unplugging the battery for a while etc. nothing so far. anyone have any helpful tips? email if you do, I’d love to get it back up…

Posted by Woody on June 12, 2004 at 2:04 AM (CDT)

wow
i jus got mine in the post today, the pink one. it is jus amazing, the quality screams out loud above every other music player i have had. i bought some accessories, the in bud ear phones, the charger deck and the carry pouch. jus one question, in america u can get a msg enscribed on the back. how come we carnt have this on ours?
the msg is laserded on and can be up to 46 caharctoristics, this was a really nice touch to make the i-pod mini as it made it feel individual. aoart from that the i-pod mini rules!

Posted by LUCY on June 13, 2004 at 4:26 AM (CDT)

To all:
Regarding iPod mini battery life:
The iPod mini is factory set for 8 hrs. approx.
In testing, I heard first 5 hrs and 45 minutes on first battery charge, then 8hrs and 45 min on 2nd charge. not abd, huh?
Oh, and about the Hitachi 4gb microdrive, apple mustve cut on helluva deal with hitachi. I mean the microdrive and the software and the case and the earbuds and the touch sensitive scroll wheel for $250 less then hitachi charges for just the drive??? You’ve gotta be kiddin’ me.
I’m waiting until aple lowers the bar to $149.**sniff**

Posted by Brad on June 16, 2004 at 9:13 PM (CDT)

i love my ipod.its the best. i stole allot from dixons (about 50) im selling the them on e-bay for $50 each.

Posted by waff man on June 22, 2004 at 4:01 AM (CDT)

I have a dell latitude laptop Win 2000 designed for win XP will ipod mii work for me?
K

Posted by karyn on July 10, 2004 at 11:02 AM (CDT)

tehehe nude ipod mini

Posted by magicmarc in england on July 10, 2004 at 12:00 PM (CDT)

Well, on one hand the recoloring plan might not work out for you :(

but I’m sure if you start a service to upgrade our microdrives to higher capacities, or even to put in a higher rating Li-ion battery, you can easily pay for those two broken ipods :)

Posted by Hungry Man on July 27, 2004 at 4:44 AM (CDT)

great instructions managed to get mine apart really quite eaisly following them one thing i would like to add is, as im sure most people opening a mini will be replacing the LCD (if you can find one anyware!) the screen ribbon cable goes into a brown/cream connector on the board very carefully flip the brown section of this connector upwards the ribbon cable will slide out of the connector

Oh and if anyone has or knows where i can get a screen please please email me cheers Tom

Posted by tom french on July 27, 2004 at 8:29 AM (CDT)

To repair ribbon cable, expose the ends of the ribbon wires. Fine sandpaper (say 600 grade) usually achieves this.

You only need to abrade about 1-2mm of the insulation for this and only on ONE side of the ribbon. Check with a continuity checker and a couple of sharp pins that you really have access to the wire.

Use a piece of flexible adhesive tape - the sort of tape used for sealing greenhouse glass etc, not cellulose tape. Stick this on the back of the broken cable (i.e the side you DIDN’t abrade), aligning the broken pieces as closely as possible.

Next you take another two pieces of tape and you put them over the TOP of the ribbon cable so they wrap round to the tape underneath, but leaving a small gap at the point where the exposed wires are.

Finally we are ready to bridge the broken cables. This is done with conductive epoxy resin. Silver-loaded resin can be purchased from specialist electronic stores. It is not cheap but cheaper than a new gadget, for sure. (no, you can’t solder the cable. Don’t even think about it.)

Mix a small quantity of resin and hardener and then using a small flat-blade jeweller’s screwdriver, carefully place a small blob of resin to bridge each broken connection. A magnifying glass on a stand is very helpful while doing this, as are steady hands. Use a piece of sticky tape to make sure the ribbon cable can’t wander around while you’re doing this. Attach the whole ribbon cable assembly to something small but solid - a chopping board is good - because later on we need to pick up the whole thing and move it.

If the cable was torn badly it may be necessary to use a small piece of very thin wire to bridge the gap. The ideal wire for this is wirewrap wire because it is silver-plated. But very thin fuse wire will do, at a pinch.  In this case, you will find a pair of needle point tweezers helpful. Dip one end of the wire in the epoxy to put a very small amount of adhesive on it; this will help keep it anchored, then position with tweezers then put a small blob of resin on each end.

Finally, we need to cure the resin. Silver-loaded epoxy needs a reasonable room temperature to cure properly; ideally, place the whole thing somewhere where the temperature is at least 30 degrees (celsius, don’t know how to convert to old-fashioned fahrenheit, sorry).

Wait 24 hours, then place a small layer of tape over the bonded portion of the cable. Your repair is complete.

Posted by aj on July 30, 2004 at 6:57 AM (CDT)

Nothing to do with iPods but…
My 1GB microdrive packed in a week after I got back from a mountaineering trip in Switzerland. I had accidently used it above the 3000m limit (3150m). Luckily I got all my pictures off it first. Sent it back to Hitachi under warrenty, keeped my fingers crossed for a week, after which a replacement 2GB arrived. Nice one!

Posted by Paul on August 4, 2004 at 7:52 AM (CDT)

Lexar currently makes a 8gb solid state cf card. anyone know if it will wirk in my mini.

Posted by Keir Rasmussen on August 18, 2004 at 1:46 AM (CDT)

if u had a lotta money to waste, couldn’t u buy a cf card (not microdrive) thats like 4 gb, put it in the ipod mini, thus making it flash based, getting faster access times and making it skip-proof??

Posted by creamsoda in toronto, canada on August 21, 2004 at 8:57 PM (CDT)

Could someone please tell me how to tranfer contacts from my Palm desktop to my iPod mini.  I have followed the instructions in the users manual but it’s not as easy as it says.  I’m operating out of Windows XP.  Do I need to rename these files and how do I do that?  I know that there is someone out there that can help me.
Thanks
JP in Georgia

Posted by JP on August 25, 2004 at 8:37 AM (CDT)

Cruel murderer. just destroying a masterpiece….. twice!! I was thinking to buy one ipod and he just destroy’s it. You could send one 2 me if you are destroying ipods. You lose your money anyway

Greetz, Bartemans

Posted by Bartemans on August 25, 2004 at 11:08 AM (CDT)

Im about to get a ipod or ipod mini..

which one should i get?

1. new gen ipod 20gb
    or
2. ipod mini(silver)

HELP

Posted by Rick on August 26, 2004 at 5:49 PM (CDT)

Hasn’t anyone wondered if you could pull the existing 4GB from the iPod and replaced it with a future card with a lerger capacity like 20GB? (I know there isn’t one out there yet above 4gb, but the thought is still nice!)  Of course, it wouldn’t be cost efficient, but it might be cool to have a 20 GB iPod Mini.  :-D

Scott

Posted by Scott Abraham on August 28, 2004 at 11:06 PM (CDT)

I wanan konw something about its(iPOD mini) chips inside,and LCD,and so on,anybody would help me?

Posted by shao hui on September 9, 2004 at 12:18 AM (CDT)

Hats off to Apple. I had a camping experience which actually left water in my mini iPod and after a long re-charge it still perform’s. But only for 6 hours.

Posted by Dave on September 9, 2004 at 5:45 PM (CDT)

Can any body help me
My 3 day old ipod mini plays music etc
but i can’t hear it
I have checked out the earphones no problems
The ipod seems to be working fine but no
sound worked the first 2 days then nothing
Ross

Posted by ROSS b on September 13, 2004 at 7:19 PM (CDT)

omg!!!
u evil ipod haterer.i just got an ipod mini and im appauled about your behaivour with this $300 peice of handy equipment.so i pitty your actions and i say that is an offence t all newbies with ipods.!!! :’(

Posted by elliot on September 18, 2004 at 8:21 PM (CDT)

Fascinating article on stripping down the ipod mini, but I don’t feel any closer to knowing how to get the ipod mini to work with OS 9?

Alao, I am hoping to get the mini to work with USB 1

Posted by kay_mac on September 20, 2004 at 11:21 AM (CDT)

wowser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by protoman on September 20, 2004 at 7:40 PM (CDT)

Greg,

Very interesting disassembly…  Any source for the LCD screen?  Now that there is no (or at least little) fear of disassembly, how to fix that cracked screen in a mini….

If there are sources, a post on where to buy them for either the ‘regular’ iPods and the minis would be helpful for the tinkers among us.

Posted by bacoburn in USA on September 24, 2004 at 4:50 AM (CDT)

Can u replace the cover of ur ipod mini? Mine got has some scratches and they are really anoying. Email me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) if anyone know hows

Posted by ryan on September 30, 2004 at 8:09 PM (CDT)

i’m having trouble downloading songs on my mini ipod and playing the cd i got with it plz help.

Posted by anelisa on October 4, 2004 at 6:42 AM (CDT)

interesting set of images, i have a question for you though, the case on the mini is anodized, is the ipod logo, and the text under it part of the same anodizing process or is that some sort of silkscreening? i figured you might know since you’ve worked as an industrial designer….thanks!

Posted by A_Campy on October 4, 2004 at 11:54 AM (CDT)

Hey… I was wondering….. if… and only if…..one is to replace the Microdrive with a flash drive…. will the battery last longer….??? since the power requirement for a flash drive is way much lower…. I wonder if anyone is brave and RICH enough to give it a try…. and then tell us the results..

Posted by Jason on October 7, 2004 at 7:26 PM (CDT)

does that mean IPOod mini SUcks or itz good?

Posted by Ricky on October 10, 2004 at 5:22 PM (CDT)

I have a 4gb Microdrive pulled from a mini ipod with serial ending in 49D, part # 13G1768.  I can copy and read files to it from my media reader, but am getting errors on my Ipaq 2215.  Can someone help me get this to work in my ipaq please?  Thanks!

Posted by Mulox on October 10, 2004 at 6:36 PM (CDT)

I am in need of an adonized aluminum outer case for an ipod mini.  I bought a mini for cheap because it has a few scuffs on the case and I would like to find a silver case that I could replace the scuffed one with.  If any one ahs one from a mini that they have taken apart please let me know I will pay up to 15 USD for it.  Thanks.

Posted by Miketbonw on October 13, 2004 at 10:30 PM (CDT)

I am looking to buy my husband a mini Ipod for his birthday, Can anyone please help me with finding a good one for a cheap price. Thanks.

Nalani

Posted by Nalani Kalamokoo on October 17, 2004 at 8:30 PM (CDT)

you must be crazy how much will u sell the bits for though

Posted by Fish on October 29, 2004 at 12:59 PM (CDT)

hi, being 16 i have buggar all monet so for my 16 birthday got an ipod mini, silver,(naturally) ever since i have had it i ahve been intrigued to see what is on the inside and how it works, my reason for have 7 ‘cell’ or mobile phones in 3 yrs is purely me tking them apart too much lol. very good fun reading this tho and good luuck wiht the beisiness.

Posted by jim on October 30, 2004 at 10:26 AM (CDT)

Hi Greg,
I need an MP3 that will run from a 240ac or 12dc power supply that will auto resume when power is applied and auto shut down when it is removed. Any ideas? A modified pod would be my first choice. I would be interested in anyone who could build something as there is a definite market for it.

Posted by groovysteve on November 22, 2004 at 1:19 PM (CST)

To mfnickster: “insure” is a homophone of “ensure.” “Guarantee” is a synonym of “ensure.”

Posted by Nawellint on December 5, 2004 at 4:13 AM (CST)

To mfnickster: “Insure” is a homophone of “ensure.” “Guarantee” is a synonym of “ensure.”

Posted by Nawellint on December 5, 2004 at 4:14 AM (CST)

whoa this is like 3 pages later. so much for that. no wonder my comment didnt show up

Posted by Nawellint on December 5, 2004 at 4:16 AM (CST)

Wow, very interesting, i was looking at this to see how to dissect my ipod. But on second thoughts i think ill leave it!

Posted by omar1 on December 7, 2004 at 8:50 AM (CST)

My attempt to cross-breed the iPod mini and the Rio Carbon:

Chieh

Posted by gypsymoth on December 17, 2004 at 2:21 PM (CST)

I just got a new iPod mini this week and I have what I think might be a problem.  There is always a very dim light on the screen.  It is not the backlight, because it is not bright enough.  You can only see this light in the dark though.  I’m thinking it should not be on because it is probably wasting battery, but I can’t find a way to turn it off.  I’m just wondering if other people have had this problem, or if the dim light is always on.  I know it is not on the 20 gb because I checked my friends.  Please reply if you have any info.

Posted by Caleb on January 19, 2005 at 5:21 PM (CST)

RE:  - I figured out how to remove the plastic LCD protector window and reinstall it…

Greg, could you email me or post here how to remove this cover. I have a broken plastic protector in a mini and wish to replace it nicely.

Thanks in advance

j

Posted by jaysonl on January 22, 2005 at 1:56 PM (CST)

“So the tale goes like this: If you open your 1s***/2nd gen iPod, make damn sure you don’t try to open it from the bottom, and be VERY careful of ripping up the hard drive/data cable.”

I can second that. Oh my, can I second that.

Take that from someone who is now on to his second ipod mini. Me! Sigh.

Posted by ipod mini planet on February 2, 2005 at 9:35 PM (CST)

Greg Koenig
or anyone else that may be able to help me

i am an art director doing an ipod commercial in toronto.
the gag in these spots entails actors pulling the ipods from their mouths.  this will require cutting the ipods in half (unfortunate) and i am trying to find another way of doing it.
rather than use new ipods (which may be our only option) i wanted to look into the option of obtaining some enclosures (with plastic screen and wheel assembly and and end pieces to mock up a real looking ipod
i am interested in purchasing these items in blue or silver from anyone who wants to sell them to me.  i would need them here by the 2nd of march (not much time!)

Posted by swack on February 24, 2005 at 2:13 PM (CST)

Does this mean the battery is user-replacable?

Posted by ecnarf on March 15, 2005 at 1:21 PM (CST)

This message is directed to Greg K.  i am interested as to how you were able to remove/replace the plastic LCD protector.  would you be so kind as to share your discovery?

Thanx
-TheZander

Posted by The Zander on March 16, 2005 at 4:51 PM (CST)

GregK, i was just wondering if you would be willing to share with us how you managed to remove the piece of plastic protecting the LCD (w/o damaging it, the plastic)?

Posted by The Zander on March 17, 2005 at 7:21 PM (CST)

Hi, I took apart my ipod mini in order to change the battery which i believe i did correctly but i think i broke the hold button thing because it wont click over to not be on hold..is there anything i can do?

Posted by HelpMeSir4550 on June 4, 2005 at 1:32 AM (CDT)

i want to take my mini apart and run a small EL wire around the outside (like the zen micro) to make it look better. it will drain the battery faster, but i never use it long enough (without charging it) to kill the battery. this guide will help with that venture, thanks.

Posted by the_commanche on July 2, 2005 at 8:01 PM (CDT)

i recently broke my ipod mini but the screen and battery are fine . so is the memory . i was wondering if i could retrieve the music out of it?

Posted by cuzimaudi on July 21, 2005 at 11:11 PM (CDT)

when putting the ipod back together is it just snap it together, what do u do about the part w/ the adhesive??

Posted by nexus128 on July 23, 2005 at 5:26 AM (CDT)

I droped my Ipod in water not to long ago. I tried drying it out but now it only turns on when i plug it into the comp. I did this same thing with my cell phone but after letting it dry and replaceing the battery its began to work fine. i wanted to know if this will work with the Ipod

Posted by crazyfrank21 on August 26, 2005 at 12:08 PM (CDT)

TO CUZIMAUDI If you wish to put the top and bottem bits back on just buy a cheap hot melt glue gun (iv’e seen them for $3) and use a small blob of glue on each tab and stick it back on!

Posted by hutuh on September 6, 2005 at 5:54 AM (CDT)

To crazyfrank21
If you replace the battery it may make the iPod function- lithium ion batteries are sensitive to water. Before you try plugging in a new battery use a multi-meter to test the current/voltage of the battery. If it mesures more than 5.00 volts The battery still works. If it is below 5.00 volts , Replace the battery

Posted by hutuh on September 6, 2005 at 5:59 AM (CDT)

Hey guys i’m taking my mini apart to format the hard disk manualy(When I was downloading iPod Linux I stuffed the hole thing up)But I havn’t got a #000 screwdtover to open the pins at the bottem. Is there anything else I can Use?

Posted by hutuh on September 6, 2005 at 6:05 AM (CDT)

I own an anodize shop - see my site at http://www.anacote.com.

I also own an IPOD mini & would love to take apart, strip it & reanodize it multicolors.

I did this also to my Motorola V60 cell phone & did many pcs of this direct for motorola.

I would be willing to work with someone who is good at taking the mini apart & putting back together.

Also, anyone who wants to disassemble their powerbook, I could anodize it,

Thanks

Posted by dknyc1 on September 12, 2005 at 9:47 AM (CDT)

psw quick notethe keypad is easy to remove just apply presure to all the keys and slide out for acomplete removal
dj cbaker

Posted by budbear on September 29, 2005 at 7:50 AM (CDT)

How do you remove the plastic window from the housing?

Posted by BLT9505 on October 29, 2005 at 8:15 PM (CDT)

Nevermind, Just figured it out.  I was too afraid to try it at first because I did’nt want to end up scratching it or worse, cracking the window.
Used my mom’s blowdryer and a small flat screwdriver.  And to think that I was about to spend $39.99 at the Ipodmods.com shop, I just bought the silver housing and I plan on using the window and glue thats aready stuck on the window.

Posted by BLT9505 on October 29, 2005 at 9:13 PM (CDT)

This is important to those that do not want to break their ipods when taking them apart:
When I opened up my ipod mini, I messed up with the ribbon cable and broke a couple of pins when I pried it out. So, make sure to put your screwdriver between the side of the ipod case and the plug, so you pop out the plug using the small lip on that side.
By the way, you can remove the plastic screen covering from the aluminum case by heating it with a hair dryer for around 1-3 minutes with a hairdryer on a high setting, then popping it out somewhat forcefully with your thumb.

Posted by dmax0 on January 5, 2006 at 9:39 PM (CST)

I was htinking about being brave enugh to take apart my Ipod Mini to see if I can fix the problem with the Menu.  If I push select and menu, It does reboot, but if I try to get back out of a sub menu to the previous one by clicking just the menu buttion, it’s a not go.  Biggest question is, even if I successfully get it aprart without breaking it…where od I get another click wheel? or can the wheel be repaired?

Posted by Chris+ on January 21, 2006 at 5:35 PM (CST)

I was thinking of taking apart my ipod mini because the menu button does not work.  It will reset if I hit the selct and menu.  But by itself no go.  The things is if I get it apart without actually breaking it, where can I get parts or can the click wheel be repaired?

Posted by Chris+ on January 21, 2006 at 5:37 PM (CST)

wondering if you can help me with a problem, or where to go (cant find anything on the apple site)

ive dropped my mini, so the warrenty is void, but the top of my mini is bowed out (either side of the aluminum case has been bent in by dropping - note to others: if you get a case, make sure there is a strap to hold it IN the case) and no matter how much i push it back in, it ends up bowing out again…  is it possible to use plyers or otherwise to bend the aluminum back out so the top will again lie flat?

thanks

Posted by novascotian8 on March 16, 2006 at 5:06 PM (CST)

Greg,

Do you still have that iPod mother board?  My daughter..somehow..pulled to hard on the audio jack and seperated the audio jack assemby from the mother board.  I know it has been several years since you posted this how to guide.  Just thought I ask.  ..Joe Hamnik 2192180411

Posted by Joe Hamnik on February 6, 2007 at 12:32 AM (CST)

This article was very helpful and detailed, it help me successfully open an Ipod for a coworker without ang part missing or damaged.

thanks…

Posted by cory22 on September 7, 2007 at 11:16 AM (CDT)

excellent article, on ebay & the only other place that sells them & other iod parts, the top & bottom plates are referred to as bezels. without your article, I’d have no idea how to put ‘em in

Posted by phil on August 11, 2008 at 8:28 PM (CDT)

Hi,

I Ordered a battery a couple of days ago…It came in by mail yesterday…..and 15 min ago plugged the mini ipod of my girlfriend in with a brand new battery….all I took was 20 minutes….had lunch inbetween as well ;-)

Piece of cake, it was….

Posted by Toni W on March 21, 2009 at 9:29 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2