Ten Things You Need to Know About iPod touch | iLounge Article

Article

Ten Things You Need to Know About iPod touch

The iPod touch has arrived, and as always, we immediately started to put it through its paces. In advance of our comprehensive review, we wanted to help early potential buyers get some quick important facts on how it performs and compares with other iPods, and the iPhone.

image

(10) Screen Differences: Though it shares the same resolution and size, the screen isn’t exactly the same as iPhone’s. The screen’s contrast initially seems a bit better, with darker blacks, but it’s easier to make blacks go negative on the wrong viewing angle—more so than on recent hard disk-based iPods, too. Like iPhone, iPod touch still has a brightness sensor with automatic adjustment as an option; there still aren’t contrast or color controls.

Top, Bottom: iPod touch, iPhone screens; iPhone looks better when viewed off-angle, as shown here

(9) Control Differences: iPod touch’s home button is a little smaller than the iPhone’s. As reported earlier today, double-clicking it brings up a music control menu that looks a little different on iPod touch’s home screen, where it blends into the time and date bar, than it does elsewhere, where it floats as a window. This feature is supposed to act as a substitute for iPod touch’s lack of side volume control buttons, which made automatic level adjustments easy without having to dig through menus.

(8) Synchronization: iTunes synchronization is iPod-style, not iPhone style. You can still activate manual management of songs, videos, and TV shows rather than being forced to synchronize playlists a la iPhone. We noticed that transfers are on the very slow side relative to the iPod classic and nano.

(7) No Disk Mode: Disk Mode is gone. Consequently, you won’t be able store data files on the iPod touch without third-party software. Mac users also don’t have to wait for the iPod touch to be reformatted as a Mac-ready disk, like the iPod classic.

(6) Sound Quality: We’ll have more to say on this soon, but the iPod touch is more like the iPhone than the iPod classic, with a higher level of background hiss than the classic.

(5) Better Accessory Compatibility, Save Video: The remaining combination car charging and audio kits that were hassled by the iPhone work properly with iPod touch. We really hope that the same support is added to the iPhone, as it really detracts from that device. However, video docks fare no better here than with the iPod classic and new iPod nano: there’s not even a TV-out setting to resist toggling. And the iPod Radio Remote does not work with the iPod touch. It comes up as an unsupported accessory, just as it does with the iPhone.

(4) Applications, with Tweaks: iPod touch ships with software version 1.1, which is obviously subject to change over time. As shown in our videos, iPod touch’s first slate of applications look almost exactly like iPhone’s, minus e-mail links, the occasional absence of editing buttons, and tiny changes. For instance, the Clocks application has a number of new alarm tones that, unlike the iPhone, aren’t based on ringtones. Checkmate, Jump, Time Passing, Time’s Up, and Up Down are all simple beeps passed through the headphone port and tiny built-in clicker speaker, and it would be generous to call them anything but annoying. The odd Safari Developer option we discovered at the Apple Special Event is still in the iPod touch menus, too. There are no other surprises we could find in the Settings.

(3) iTunes Wi-Fi: The iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store seems to be working pretty well right out of the gate. Though page loading responsiveness isn’t what it should be, previewing and buying clips is as simple as can be, and the iPod touch automatically grabs your iTunes Store account data from your computer for purchases. Hope you’re not prone to losing your iPods (or having them stolen).

(2) Battery: With Wi-Fi entirely off, our first battery test of iPod touch suggests that its video run time is not going to touch the iPod classic’s. After four hours of pure (not multi-tasking) video playback with our test iTunes Store videos—the same ones, and under the same conditions that saw 6 hour, 46 minute run times on the 80GB iPod classic and 9 hour, 28 minute times on the 160GB model—the iPod touch put up its “10% battery capacity remaining” warning window. After 4 and a half hours, it died, underperforming Apple’s 5 hour promised run time. More on this, soon.

(1) Body: The single most impressive thing about iPod touch is its thinness. As we’ve previously said, it’s less than a third thinner than the iPhone, but it feels half as thick. However, it also feels more fragile thanks to its polished metal back, which is more prone to scratching, and we’d gladly have traded extra thickness for more battery life and storage capacity.

We’ll have much more on iPod touch very soon. Find unboxing and iPod/iPhone comparison photos here, and comparison videos below:

iPod touch versus iPhone Interface Comparison: See the iPod touch and iPhone interfaces running next to each other—everything minus music/video playback, Safari, and iTunes.

iPod touch versus iPhone Safari Loading, Body Comparison: See both devices side-by-side loading pages from Apple.com, then physically compared to one another, then loading YouTube.

iPod touch iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store: See the new iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store being accessed briefly from the iPhone.

iPod touch and iPhone Music and Video Playback: See how both devices play music and video content, including the iPod touch’s new double Home button click feature, which brings volume and track controls to the screen even if it’s in Hold mode or in the midst of another application.

« iPod touch diagnostic mode, revealed in pictures

Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 7.4 (Updated x3) »

Comments

-99

There’s one thing I need to know: Do you really need an iTunes Store account before you can use the iPod, as it says in the Features Guide? Since this is supposed to be their first “worldwide” product, I think you can see how it would suck for people in regions without an iTunes Store.

Posted by Guillermo on September 14, 2007 at 5:58 AM (CDT)

-98

You need iTunes software on your computer, but NOT the iTunes store.

Posted by bookcase on September 14, 2007 at 12:20 PM (CDT)

-97

I haven’t heard or read anything definitive regarding access to e-mail using the iPodTouch’s wi-fi capability.  Does anyone know if we’ll be able to access Yahoo, Hotmail, Outlook e-mail services as read only, read/write, etc?

Posted by Pragmatist on September 14, 2007 at 1:08 PM (CDT)

-96

Does keyboard work in landscape mode with more Apps than the iPhone?

Posted by aswitcher in Sydney OZ on September 14, 2007 at 2:16 PM (CDT)

-95

Got mine today in Virginia.  Here’s some unboxing goodness for you:

Posted by Boswellian on September 14, 2007 at 9:22 PM (CDT)

-94

During the video test, what was the screen brightness, and was WiFi on? Gizmodo claims to have gotten 6 hours and 45 minutes of playtime on their iPod Touch with WiFi off.

@aswitcher: Only Safari supports a landscape mode keyboard.

@Pragmatist: Gmail works fantastically on mine!

Posted by vertigociel on September 14, 2007 at 10:36 PM (CDT)

-93

50% brightness, Wi-Fi totally off, two iTunes Store videos (Incredibles and Star Trek II). We were as surprised as anyone.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 14, 2007 at 10:47 PM (CDT)

-92

So the Radio Remote doesn’t work. I want to use this remote but I don’t care about using the radio. What about the buttons on it? Can you use them regardless?

Posted by Japester on September 14, 2007 at 11:35 PM (CDT)

-91

I’d like to know if Safari can view and download PDFs to the iTouch?

Posted by shryn on September 14, 2007 at 11:36 PM (CDT)

-90

@Shyrn: You can view PDFs online, but not download them. However, if you’ve got a PDF loaded (and it can handle big PDFs - the 9 MB iPhone book loads fine), and you leave your WiFi area, Safari will keep it in cache as long as your iPod doesn’t totally turn off (sleeping is fine), and as long as Safari doesn’t crash (which has happened a couple of time in the 24 hours since I’ve gotten mine).

@Jeremy: Wow, that is surprising. It’s the first time I can remember an iPod failing to meet Apple’s advertised figures. I think I’ll try it out on mine this weekend and see what I get.

Posted by vertigociel on September 15, 2007 at 12:44 AM (CDT)

-89

Does it work with mac os 10.3.9?

Posted by blackmacbook on September 15, 2007 at 3:58 AM (CDT)

-88

Thanks @vertigociel. It would seem that’s another reason for me to wait until Jobs opens up the iPhone and iTouch for us who want to be productive in non-WiFi areas.

Ex-Newton User.

Posted by shryn on September 15, 2007 at 6:04 AM (CDT)

-87

I got my touch this morning!
I love the cover flow, However, I may have discovered a bug.
After playing with cover flow for about a minute (just scrolling the cover around) I see that the covers go “low res”.. that is, fuzzy and blocky.. like it was running out of memory or something.
It goes back to normal after rotating the Touch upright and then sideways again.
Very annoying.

Posted by Vince Chan on September 16, 2007 at 1:34 AM (CDT)

-86

I’m 15, and my dad won’t let me get the touch unless the safari application has parental control.  Does anyone know if it does?

Posted by Zack04 on September 16, 2007 at 9:26 AM (CDT)

-85

No Disk Mode is bad. I use that regularly with my 4th generation 20 gig iPod.
If I decide to get a new iPod it’ll be one of the Classic iPods, which still have that feature. If Apple enables Disk Mode on the Touch in the future, and puts more storage on it, I’d consider one.

Posted by FloydC on September 16, 2007 at 9:27 AM (CDT)

-84

Got a touch yesterday… my wife has a iPhone.  I’m really happy with it.  side by side it is alot like my wifes iphone.  To me it is best described as a phoneless iPhone!  1 bummer… the webmail my wife uses for work pops up a new window for composing and replying to email.  Safari on both of these devices CANNOT handle that.  Huge bummer… i need to come up w/ some sort of work around.

Posted by angusshangus on September 16, 2007 at 7:16 PM (CDT)

-83

my ipod touch safari internet won’t load up after entering a username and password?
says your be redirected in 10secs or re enter in URL but even if i do that the internet still won’t load up?
confused???!

Posted by Josh on April 28, 2008 at 12:40 PM (CDT)

-82

i have the current 80GB ipod classic en its fantastic i mean cover flow made song surfing in my ipod fun and quick. the song search facility dat was a real quicky but crazy it makes a song show up like an internet pop up. iknow i sound lyk a CAVE MAN but good job on this one imean thumbs up on this one.

Posted by nckx on May 8, 2008 at 10:24 AM (CDT)

-81

my ipod touch got spilled with soda and now when u want to touch to unlock it dosent do it seems like it dont want to slide to unlock it , it does charge i can see the green battery full charge and give time but that is it where can i take it to get it repaired and affordable need help ?

Posted by mona mendoza on May 25, 2008 at 9:51 AM (CDT)

-80

What 3rd party software can i use to allow me to use my ipod touch for data too?

Posted by c. green on September 28, 2008 at 9:50 PM (CDT)

-79

can anyone tell me if theres a parental control for the new ipod touch? my dad wont let me get it if it doesn’t have it. please, anyone

Posted by bghbgh on September 29, 2008 at 9:48 AM (CDT)

-78

yea safari has parentL controlls for 2.0 software

I am posting this from my touch!

Posted by clonenemasis on October 16, 2008 at 2:45 AM (CDT)

-77

What accessories should you get to keep your ipod touch safe?

Posted by newbetoipods on December 25, 2008 at 12:46 PM (CST)

-76

a friend is in the army and wants to get the touch but has questions…. 1) can she open the box and download i tunes or will it have to be hooked to a computer with wifi first to get it started?
2) does the wifi require a account of some sortfor internet access?

Posted by notauser on January 4, 2009 at 6:54 PM (CST)

-75

My mom wont let me get one because of the internet. she has something wrong with portable internet devices like laptops:( so is there any way you can block the internet on the ipod touch because i really want one?

Posted by Rachel on January 29, 2009 at 5:00 PM (CST)

-74

@ Rachel (and via proxy Zack04 )

yeap, the new software lets you block internet, though if your not going to use the net at all, you might want to think of getting a nano or classic (50%+ of the touches’ features require you to have some kind of net access at one point or another)

@ notauser it needs to be connect to a computer with itunes on it (dosnt need to be wireless), as for the roaming wireless functions it depends were you are, coming from NZ the short answer is yes, I need my own wireless account, but most other countries have (more) locations were there is free wireless

Posted by NzFox on February 12, 2009 at 8:00 PM (CST)

-73

Wats your guys problems if you get a touch the tings about it is taht you get bigger screen you get internet access and a bit more the IPOD wide also none as nano is same just you cant get internet access and its a smaller screen it still play movies podcast ands TV shows just harder to wach casue smaller screen why cant you guys live with sumthing that aint the latest!!!

Posted by yazza on March 4, 2009 at 2:57 AM (CST)

-72

ok, here’s the thing on my iPod touch everytime I try to go on utube it says ” you must first be connected with iTunes” & I don’t know how to do that. Help?

Posted by pbj power on March 21, 2009 at 9:02 PM (CDT)

-71

You must connect to a wifi internet source using a home computer

Posted by Ryan on March 29, 2009 at 6:13 PM (CDT)

-70

thank you so much ryan!

Posted by Pbj power on April 6, 2009 at 1:47 PM (CDT)

-69

I GOT AN I-POD TOUCH YESTERDAY AND I DON’T HAVE INTERNET BUT MY NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR AND SHE GOTS WI FI AND I DO HAVE I TUNES BUT WILL IT STILL WORK

Posted by Chanilliea on April 6, 2009 at 7:51 PM (CDT)

-68

hello
    i hope ur advise will definatly help me.i got ipod on 14th feb as valentine gift in 2009….2 months back.but last night when i was cahrging ,it stopped working i mean message was coming..“10% BATTERY REMAINING DISMISS”
now i dont knw how to grt it fine .m husband bought it in uk but i m in india for few months,...so my querries are…do i need to replace its battery?is it under warranty? coud i get the warranty service by ipod technicians being in india? i m vert tense so lemme knw and help me in finding solution.
                      thanks nitika.

Posted by nitikka on April 19, 2009 at 4:01 AM (CDT)

-67

If I wanted to use an IPOD touch to send work orders to the staff in my building which has wifi, but I dont want them to have full internet access, is that possible?

Posted by Michelle on May 1, 2009 at 10:38 AM (CDT)

-66

hi, i wonder if only my ipod recharges so quickly or they all do?
and also, does any one know, i was downloading the games from itunes store andthey stoped downloading and its already second day that 3 games are half sownloadeed .saying “WAITING”, what should i do?help!!!

Posted by eli on May 21, 2009 at 7:40 PM (CDT)

-65

i have one and well i have a ipod touch and a, iphone and they r sooooo alsome really alsome i would get one if i where u but u prob cant aford 2 get 1 i feel sorry 4 u.

Posted by jazmin broke on July 3, 2009 at 12:44 PM (CDT)

-64

just got my ipod touch today and when i went to sync it with the itunes i already have on my computer it said i have to reinstall itunes. do i have to reinstall and will it take off all my music if i have to?

Posted by s ham on August 13, 2009 at 2:45 AM (CDT)

-63

I have my iPOD since 2007. Never appeared this message: DISK MODE. OK to disconnected. I disconneted from the computer and notihng hapenned. How to solve the problem? It will be the end of this iPOD? It refuse to stop.
Thanks a lot. I am sure that you will be to solve this easy problem.

Posted by Benvindo Justiça on August 14, 2009 at 3:12 PM (CDT)

-62

Our daughter wants an iPod Touch for Christmas, but we are clueless about this product and need help.

Questions:
1) Must we have a monthly subscription fee for her to use her iPod Touch? Is it mandatory?

2) If no, she doesn’t have to pay a monthly fee, what will she be able to do that she can’t on a regular iPod?

If there’s anything else we should know to help make decision, I’d appreciate it! Just don’t have the money to pay monthly costs.

Thank you!

Posted by Klip on October 24, 2009 at 3:00 PM (CDT)

-61

Hey Klip No you dont pay a monthly subscription fee thats only for the iPhone. iPod Touch is way better than any other iPod because it is touchscreen, you can play touchscreen games/apps, watch video, surf the web with your wifi hotspot, listen to music, bluetooth, and play games with people all over the world over your wifi connection. The new iPod Touchs are these prices: 8GB model-$199, 32GB model-$299, 64GB model-$399. I would recommend the 8GB if you want to save money but the 32GB and 64GB have more features , so your free to choose.

Posted by Trinion on November 22, 2009 at 10:53 AM (CST)

-60

dose any one know how much a touch costs?

Posted by lulu on December 5, 2009 at 6:14 PM (CST)

-59

lulu: Just purchased a 32G iPod Touch from Amazon for $269.99.  I missed the Black Friday sale ($250), so went with the next best price.  All others are selling it for $299.  You can pick up the 8G for $179 at Amazon or $199 all others.

Posted by Skip on December 17, 2009 at 10:19 PM (CST)

-58

Does anyone know if there is a wifi adapter made for iPod touch that just basically plugs into the snycing port of the iPod?

Posted by Jesse Martin on January 25, 2010 at 9:38 PM (CST)

-57

I really love my touch..
does any one know if thw wi-fi is for free or not???

Posted by Lamees on January 29, 2010 at 12:34 AM (CST)

-56

I have itunes loaded and have added another ipod. the original ipod gets wifi but the new ipod won’t allow me to get on the same wifi? I changed the password hoping that was the problem but no luck. What do I need to do to get the second ipod touch to pick up the wifi? Thanks K

Posted by Kendra Thomas on January 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM (CST)

-55

Why do i keep getting kicked out of the itunes on my ipod? It keeps asking for a wyfy connection and not letting me connect???

Posted by Lisa Decker on January 30, 2010 at 4:00 PM (CST)

-54

My ipod touch took forever to charge last time i charged it and now it wont charge at all - very confused/frustrated :( Any suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong?

Posted by Jenn on February 23, 2010 at 6:57 PM (CST)

-53

Ipod touches are shwweeeeett but VERY fragile my friend is a man and acts like it so he had to get his screen replaced 3 times and the back is so scratched up u can barley c the apple:) he only had it for about a year :)

Posted by Moi on March 1, 2010 at 9:47 PM (CST)

-52

my ipod just went off so please how do i let it come on… cuz there is no sign of battery power or anything

Posted by nadia kang on March 13, 2010 at 7:15 PM (CST)

-51

I was just wondering if I was using my touch on someones wifi if they could see what websites I go to or not.

Posted by Michael on March 22, 2010 at 8:44 PM (CDT)

-50

My iPod touch won’t log out of my myspace and I have tried to signout and I even went to http://www.myspace.com/loginpage and had my brother try to Sign In and it just keeps going back to my page:( does anyone know what to do???

Posted by Alicia on May 1, 2010 at 3:15 AM (CDT)

-49

Do you have to have wireless to load and run Apps on the Ipod Touch. We have a Itunes account on our computer but not run on wireless. Cannot load Apps. Please Help.
K.

Posted by Karina on May 12, 2010 at 10:09 AM (CDT)

-48

Karina yes you need wifi to download apps w/o using a computer , and some apps require wifi connection for full use

Posted by Mike jones on May 13, 2010 at 3:15 PM (CDT)

-47

Alica make sure you don’t have ” remember password” checked and sign out the myspace app as well

Posted by Mike jones on May 13, 2010 at 3:21 PM (CDT)

-46

I ordered an iPod touch from Amazon a few days ago and it should be coming either today or Monday! Before it comes in, a quick question: Can you download/buy Apps before you have an iPod Touch synced to your iTunes?

Posted by Alice on May 15, 2010 at 10:33 AM (CDT)

-45

my iTouch keeps on asking for a password to connect to the internet and every password I have tried (Network Key+WEP key) each one didn’t work. what password is the iTouch asking for when your trying to connect to the interent? My connection is by qwest. I’m really confused and yet irriated:/. please help!

Posted by Ominix on May 21, 2010 at 8:19 PM (CDT)

-44

I swapped with my friend - she gave me her ipod touch and I gave her my digital voice recorder. (We each had specific uses that were served by this swap.) I want to use the Touch to check email when travelling and I don’t want to take my computer. However, I found it kept turning itself on in my tote bag, to the screen that says ‘slide to unlock’. Is there a way to keep that from happening and draining the battery? I was wondering if there’s a kind of case that would protect that from happening unintentiionally?

Posted by Suze OHart on May 21, 2010 at 11:00 PM (CDT)

-43

My brother gave me his ipod touch to add a video on it for him. i updated my itunes and now it has the usb cord (the part that connects to the computer )with an arrow pointing to the itunes logo. now i can’t even get it to connect to the computer. What do i do?

Posted by Rikki on May 25, 2010 at 3:06 PM (CDT)

-42

I got my ipod touch 2nd gen yesterday and i ddnt charge it for 4 to 6 hours. and now my time goes all funky , is it because i ddnt charge it fully , and the battery says its dieing then it will have more , wats wrong ?

Posted by Sabrina on June 13, 2010 at 4:02 PM (CDT)

-41

I just wanted to know if i dont wont wifi on my ipod touch do i have to have it can i up load just like a reg ipod

Posted by Bobby on June 14, 2010 at 10:43 AM (CDT)

-40

i just got an ipod for my 12 bday which i love sooooo much but when i add it to wi fi to i have to pay once or montly or anything i know u pay for apps and stuff but what about wi fi

Posted by Cazza on June 17, 2010 at 2:28 PM (CDT)

-39

Hello, I have bought a new ipod touch and would like to know how to download games off the internet.  Do I need additional software? Do I need to sign up for an account somewhere?

Posted by B Waite on June 17, 2010 at 6:51 PM (CDT)

-38

I have the iTunes software and I want to download games but I don’t want to have toake and account is there anyway I can download games without having make an account?

Posted by Cassie on June 20, 2010 at 3:04 PM (CDT)

-37

i just got my ipod touch and i dont know how to do eny thing can you get games and apps right on youre ipod and how do you get wi fi connection

Posted by hannah on June 26, 2010 at 11:35 PM (CDT)

-36

i really need help with my ipod how do you get wi fi

Posted by HANNAH on June 27, 2010 at 11:14 AM (CDT)

-35

how do u get on wifi

Posted by jimmy on June 27, 2010 at 3:01 PM (CDT)

-34

I got an iPod touch for my b-day and when I click on an app it goes ina nd then gaoes back to home screen! I need it to work because I am going on a 7 hour car trip on Friday! Can somebody please haelp me! I begg of you!

Posted by Lindsay Dunn on June 29, 2010 at 2:38 PM (CDT)

-33

Hannah & Jimmy: Free wireless internet is available at public locations like Starbucks or other merchants. If you pay for internet already at home, you can set up your own wireless network with a router and use the service you have.

Posted by Ronin † on July 8, 2010 at 8:47 PM (CDT)

-32

Hi, do you need to have wireless internet for an ipod touch? Because I have an internet stick that you plug into a computer, would that work?

Posted by Harry on July 11, 2010 at 12:40 AM (CDT)

-31

is there music already on the ipod touch?? or should it be empty?

Posted by karen on July 13, 2010 at 1:44 AM (CDT)

-30

Karen it should most definitely be empty apple does not put music on for you, it will have maybe a few sample songs but not a library of music

Posted by Robert on July 14, 2010 at 2:11 PM (CDT)

-29

do u have to pay monthly for the internet and all of those games for the ipod touch 32gb the 3rd generation?

Posted by stella on July 31, 2010 at 2:18 PM (CDT)

-28

I am so confused… why pay $200-$400 to get an iPod Touch (even though i already have one) when you could get a NICE mp3 for about $100-$200 and not have to pay for any of the music on itunes, cuz i have my ipod and i seriously want to download a song from youtube, but on top of it, you CANT buy it from itunes AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anybody agree with me here? Just a little bit?

Posted by Amber on August 6, 2010 at 6:13 PM (CDT)

-27

After you buy the itouch do you have to use anymore money after that?

Posted by person on September 8, 2010 at 2:36 AM (CDT)

-26

i got my 3rd generation ipod a few weeks ago,since then ive been using it alot,my friend

Posted by danny on September 19, 2010 at 12:34 PM (CDT)

-25

I got my ipod only a couple of days ago i have all free apps including txting.Does anybody know if you have to pay monthly for the free apps or pay monthly for txting? Please answer bac if u do!

Posted by yllek on September 20, 2010 at 9:52 PM (CDT)

-24

@yllek, if you have free apps there are no additional charges, if you have a free texting app, then that is exactly what it is “FREE”

to everyone else”
Read your users manual people, ALOT of your questions can be solved by reading it, I cant help but see how people are asking the prices of these things, there is amazon, google, ebay. look up the price, jesus, if you dont want internet on your ipod dont connect to wi-fi

Posted by justin on September 24, 2010 at 6:04 PM (CDT)

-23

I have a question:im trying to use my wifi at home cause i have internet access so im confused; it doesnt show up any of the members of my households name that shows on the internet bill so what do i do….and do you need internet wifi to get your vpn configured.??????please help me asap!!

Posted by maria on October 1, 2010 at 11:36 AM (CDT)

-22

Posted by Barbara on October 5, 2010 at 10:04 AM (CDT)

-21

What if I changed the password so many times and now I can’t get back in because I can’t remember it and I have tried everything???

Posted by Kaytie on October 27, 2010 at 6:39 PM (CDT)

-20

I have an IPHONE currently and am not sure how to set up the WIFI.  However, My son wants an IPAD TOUCH for xmas and I do not really know much about them.  I have been researching and I am confused? Is there a monthly service fee to have a TOUCH and if not, how can they use it and use internet FREE?  I am confused on how that works?

Posted by Carmen on November 11, 2010 at 6:37 PM (CST)

-19

ummmm ok stop putting down on the ipod touch! those things are so frickin awesome

Posted by djgal on November 14, 2010 at 8:10 PM (CST)

-18

Okay…so I really wanted a ipod nano 5th generation 16gb, but then i started thinking about the i pod touch. My dad would let me buy it if it didnt have any monthly fees. The only reason i would want the touch, is for music, and internet. My questions are:

1. Do i need to pay monthly fees for boththe nano and touch?

2. if i got internet on either one, would i need to pay extra?

3. Which one do you think is the better divice for me? I just want to be able to listen to music, and it would be nice if i also had internet.

Thank You.

Posted by Becky on November 15, 2010 at 4:28 PM (CST)

-17

Ello all,

I have an Ipod touch 8GB 3G,
and as soon as I saw the 4 generation I loved it. So, I’m selling my ipod 8GB.

Any websites or tips for selling? :)

Thanks, Rachel:)

Posted by Rachel Cole on November 22, 2010 at 9:09 AM (CST)

-16

@ Becky

for the ipod touch/ipod nano

okay,

for the Monthy fees(scream now!!:)) there are not ANY, unless you get an app that requires paying for (trust me) there are a LOT of apps that you DONT have to pay for!!:)

And, the Ipod nano DOES NOT HAVE INTERNET AT ALL!! Like, if you got an ipod touch and you have wireless internet in your house than it would be FREE, but if you go into starbucks or mcdonalds than the interent fee is about a dollar :) which is good because you can watch a video and sip coffee!! :)

OVER all results the better device for you is a
  (drum roll please!!) IPOD TOUCH! :)

I picked an ipod touch because the ipod nano has NO internet AT all even if you TRIED to jailbreak it soo yah, and sometimes the music on the ipod nano skips and they are broken VERY easily (my bff has one)

as For the IPOD TOUCH though (i have one)
as you know, apple makes other products that seem better than the last one (parents wise words) so I’m still aiming for the 4g one because it HAS a camera and facetime, (whew big air)

And thats WHAT you NEED!! (ask your dad to read this post with you he will find it helpful!) :)

GOOD LUCK convicing!
later, Rachel

Posted by Rachel Cole on November 22, 2010 at 9:26 AM (CST)

-15

ok, so why does my ipod touch says NEXEN on the back of it…....

Posted by Serena on December 4, 2010 at 1:55 PM (CST)

-14

i relly wot a ipod touch because i nevr seen one but i have now i relly like tham now

Posted by eric on December 4, 2010 at 10:47 PM (CST)

-13

@ Serena

your “ipod touch” says NEXEN because it is not an ipod touch,
where did you get it?
call the place you got it and ask about the NEXEN sign,
you prob got ripped off
sell the NEXEN one and get what you REALLY want :)

Posted by Rachel Cole on December 8, 2010 at 12:02 PM (CST)

-12

@ Carmen
the only reason that your son’s i pad or touch has free wi’fi because its NOT a phone,
as for the Iphone, you pay the monthly bills and part of that is for the wi-fi
the ipad or touch connects to free wi-fi in the house, but in starbucks or mcDonnalds then it cost about an dollar

look at my earlier posts to see what i mean :-)

Posted by Rachel Cole on December 8, 2010 at 12:06 PM (CST)

-11

hey person! i’m going to answer your q!

this is what you said
after you buy the itouch do you have to use anymore money after that?

Posted by person on September 7, 2010 at 11:36 PM (PDT)

okay, do you mean like, bills?
lets get one thing straight, IPOD TOUCHS DON’T HAVE BILLS!!!!
okay? the only thing that you would have to pay for is wi-fi if you are not using your house, and also the 3 year protection if you break your ipod and want to get a new free one in the last three years!

hoped i helped!
and REMEMBER EVERYONE!
APPLE DOES THESE THINGS ON PURPOSE, THEY MAKE A BETTER PRODUCT THEN THE LAST ONE!
they are greedy for money (but, hey! everyone is!!)
:-)

Posted by Rachel Cole on December 8, 2010 at 12:12 PM (CST)

-10

yay! another q!
from blackmac
here is the q

Does it work with mac os 10.3.9?

Posted by blackmacbook on September 15, 2007 at 12:58 AM (PDT)

and here is my answer!

as in charging an ipod touch,
ipod of ANY KIND
you can charge it in aNy COMPUTER!
and apple also sells wall chargers!
which is better, because you don’t have to charge it on your laptop in the middle of the night to be ready for tomorrow,
this kind has NO light, so its not disturbing
just, attach and plug
good night!

lata! rachel:-)

Posted by Rachel Cole on December 8, 2010 at 12:17 PM (CST)

@karen
this is what you said :

)is there music already on the ipod touch?? or should it be empty?

Posted by karen on July 12, 2010 at 10:44 PM (PDT)

:The ipod touch DOESN’T COME WITH MUSIC!
very unfortionit actually,
unless you have a used ipod?

Posted by Rachel Cole on December 19, 2010 at 5:21 PM (CST)

ok so i rlly want an iPod touch for christmas…
but my dad wont get it unless it can be used without us having to get an internet connection…because we dont have one at home.
my main question is will it be like my Amazon Kindle which has 3G and Wi-Fi tht i can just get on the internet anywhere with? or do you have to have wireless internet at home?? i rlly need to know…

also i want to know all the stuff tht it does cuz my dad says he doesntunderstand how the iPod touch is any better than the other kinds of iPods and why i shouldnt just have one of those.

please help! thanks!

Posted by pancake on December 21, 2010 at 4:58 PM (CST)

@
k so i rlly want an iPod touch for christmas…

please help! thanks!

Posted by pancake on December 21, 2010 at 2:58 PM (PDT)
———————-

hey, read my other comments by Rachel Cole,
and that should pretty much help you : )

Posted by Rachel Cole on December 31, 2010 at 12:22 PM (CST)

MY ITOUCH The new one WON’T TURN ON I WAS JUST PLAYING GAMES ON IT AND THEN IT SHUT DOWN please help please :(

Posted by Kkkkk on January 5, 2011 at 8:54 PM (CST)

i cant get in a iPod/iPhone/iPad cas im 7 they say i haft to be 16 or 11 and a teenager

Posted by lea on January 23, 2011 at 10:00 PM (CST)

@Kkkkk

alright, you need to charge it! Can’t find a charger? Look it up on Google and craigslist!

Posted by Rachel Cole on February 2, 2011 at 3:40 PM (CST)

@Lea

Okay! Many have had this annoying policy, Ask an Adult to purchase it for you. Or wait… You choose! :)

Posted by Rachel Cole on February 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM (CST)

Posted by Kaytie on October 27, 2010 at 3:39 PM (PDT)
——————————
Wow! This happens to lots :D sadly that includes me! So what you do is you log into your Itunes account thru The computer!!!!! And this happens to be the sad part, But! You! Have! To! RESET EVERYTHING! *gasp* Yah, and next time it might be less harder if you don’t USE a password.Or use something that you would remember, For instance use the date you were born!!!!Thanks for reading >.<  ~Rachel

Posted by Rachel Cole on March 3, 2011 at 4:37 PM (CST)

Is there a way to bring up the music control while in another app without having to exit the app??

————————-
yesh :) There is two side buttons;If you hold it with your right hand and squeeze; That will show the ‘music control’

Peace!

Posted by Rachel Cole on March 3, 2011 at 4:38 PM (CST)

—————————————————-

Hehehehe!!!!!!! HAhaha! *ahem* sorry! But this is a easy problem to fix! Go to the button with the gears on it and go to wi-fi its probably NOT on!!!

Peace :)

Posted by Rachel Cole on March 3, 2011 at 4:40 PM (CST)