The iPod + iPhone Year in Review 2007
Click Below to Read the Rest of This Article:
We ended our 2006 iPod Year in Review with some predictions: 2007 would be the year when the 100 millionth iPod was sold, iTunes Store sales would grow in the billions rather than millions, and the year would start with exciting new hardware and accessory releases. We also called out two possible iPhone release scenarios, suggested that Apple TV (then iTV) would need some help at its $299 price point, and discussed good and bad potential outcomes for iPod and accessory development.
With less than two weeks remaining in 2007, we can say with mixed emotions that this has been an eventful year, and one that saw most of last year’s predictions—good and bad—come true. For Apple, this was another year of soaring iPod sales, continued growth of the iTunes Store’s market share, and the release of new devices that broadened the company’s presence in homes and pockets across the world. Most impressively, Apple succeeded in stunning the entire cellular phone industry with the iPhone, despite its complete lack of prior experience in designing or selling phone equipment. And the company’s retail stores became more numerous and yet more crowded than ever, expanding further overseas and offering even more products online.
But it was also a year that brought unusually long waits and surprising disappointments to Apple fans, as the company broke with past traditions, pre-announcing two of its biggest products months in advance, and releasing others with bugs and other undisclosed limitations that crippled their appeal. More jolting were moves by Apple’s audio and video content partners to exit or cut support for the iTunes Store, and positive reviews for new Microsoft media players and iTunes competitors. A picture that once looked ever-increasingly rosy had once again become muddled with uncertainty.
Once again, we’ve covered the key factual events of the year in an extended iPod history feature (A Brief History of iPod) on page 116 of our 2008 iPod + iPhone Buyers’ Guide; instead, this Year in Review takes a more opinionated look at what went right and wrong over the past 12 months, finishing with a brief look ahead. Please use the pull-down menus to access the various sections of this article, and add your comments and opinions using the comments box below.
Click Below to Read the Rest of This Article:
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?